Alan Fincher for Canal and River Trust Council

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Ho hum! Had the e-mail the other day but due to Dave's birthday celebrations have put the issue to one side for the weekend with the intention of voting when we get back to the boat. Said to Dave this evening "we need to set aside a couple of hours this week to go through the candidates and their manifestos and sort out our voting". Dave says "we're voting Alan Fincher aren't we, what's to talk about?" I started to explain the voting system and could see his eyes glazing over.

So - the boat is registered in Dave's name, I filled out the sponsor form for Alan Fincher and showed Dave where to sign and I'll be doing the legwork next week and selecting the rest of the candidates (even if it's just to make sure Mr Northern Booger Heron stands less of a chance of buggering up the boater's representation by throwing his toys out of the pram as soon as someone disagrees with him!)

Sat and did mine after work yesterday,Alan first and then started to lose the will to live as i trolled through all the other blurb :banghead: ,Only got as far as 13 and called it a day.I know this sounds like apathy but some of those 500 words can take some chewing through, especially if your looking for independent candidates.

good luck

Paddy

Still waiting! Getting slightly grumpy. Not exactly much of a change there then. Breath in 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10......Breath out - 1-2-3-4- 10.........where the !"@@!!g hell are those forms. B@!!@(*s

And not only that. Some sodding motor has been going off, somewhere in the marina. How's a fella supposed to find enough energy to be grumpy on 4hrs sleep.

Have just gone out into the freezing crispy cold. The noise is coming from a brand new boat with a rubbish pump on the heating thingy. Get a squirrel. Do you think that might be in the IWA's manifesto? It's tempting, if it is.

Edited by Higgs

Sat and did mine after work yesterday,Alan first and then started to lose the will to live as i trolled through all the other blurb :banghead: ,Only got as far as 13 and called it a day.I know this sounds like apathy but some of those 500 words can take some chewing through, especially if your looking for independent candidates.

good luck

Paddy

And lets face it none of the 500 words means a jot !! just like politicians the candidates put down what they want joe public to think they mean not what they realy mean.

And lets face it none of the 500 words means a jot !! just like politicians the candidates put down what they want joe public to think they mean not what they realy mean.

Well who ever this Joe Public is, he must be very gullible. It'l all come out in the wash.

Edited by Higgs

Ho hum! Had the e-mail the other day but due to Dave's birthday celebrations have put the issue to one side for the weekend with the intention of voting when we get back to the boat. Said to Dave this evening "we need to set aside a couple of hours this week to go through the candidates and their manifestos and sort out our voting". Dave says "we're voting Alan Fincher aren't we, what's to talk about?" I started to explain the voting system and could see his eyes glazing over.

So - the boat is registered in Dave's name, I filled out the sponsor form for Alan Fincher and showed Dave where to sign and I'll be doing the legwork next week and selecting the rest of the candidates (even if it's just to make sure Mr Northern Booger Heron stands less of a chance of buggering up the boater's representation by throwing his toys out of the pram as soon as someone disagrees with him!)

Poor old Dave. Not only do you do his facebook, you even do his voting. Still, he has just had a "Significant" birthday LOL

Still waiting! Getting slightly grumpy. Not exactly much of a change there then. Breath in 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10......Breath out - 1-2-3-4- 10.........where the !"@@!!g hell are those forms. B@!!@(*s

And not only that. Some sodding motor has been going off, somewhere in the marina. How's a fella supposed to find enough energy to be grumpy on 4hrs sleep.

Have just gone out into the freezing crispy cold. The noise is coming from a brand new boat with a rubbish pump on the heating thingy. Get a squirrel. Do you think that might be in the IWA's manifesto? It's tempting, if it is.

Sorry if our heater has upset you, if you are at Sawley. It came in automatically last night when the cabin temp got done to 2 deg C.

But seriously, Higgs, have a little sympathy for your fellow boaters. It was bloody cold last night and if all they have on their new boat is a Webasto/ Ebersplogger, at least they waited until nearly dawn to switch on!

Edited by jelunga

Sad but true!!!!

at least they waited until nearly dawn to switch on!

Don't let the time on my post fool you. I was up before 4am and heard every cycle of the pump through till dawn. Was catching up on lost sleep soon after posting and have been woken by the same fella hammering through the ice 11.30am. Pow-Wow later.

Anyhow, ballot papers have arrived at friends C/o address. :)

Edited by Higgs

I have some sympathy with that observation, and that is my problem. There are only a handful of candidates about whom I feel I have sufficient knowledge to make a reasoned decision. Three are definitely getting my vote and two definitely not. There are a few more about whom I know a little, and am as yet undecided, but the majority are a complete mystery to me, and any vote would be entirely on the basis of a short manifesto which may or may not reflect the candidtaes true character.

One slight diversion about the STV system. If I place 1, 2, 3 etc. against my preferred canditates and 32 and 33 etc. against my least preferred, with a number of unselected candidates in between them, will that reduce the potential of the least preferred candidates, or will they be elevated up the list to the next number available?

One slight diversion about the STV system. If I place 1, 2, 3 etc. against my preferred canditates and 32 and 33 etc. against my least preferred, with a number of unselected candidates in between them, will that reduce the potential of the least preferred candidates, or will they be elevated up the list to the next number available?

My understanding is that your preference will be taken in a hierarchical order so 1,2,3,4,31,32 is actually the same as 1,2,3,4,5,6 but I am open to correction on that.

My definition of a "latter day boater" is someone who has not had a boat licenced by the British Transport Commission, my first one was in 1960 it was for "Kenelm" it cost me £12.00 I got a 50% reduction for working for British Railways. Also someone who cannot maintain their own boat.

Some of us are not old enough (or even close) to remember the BTC Rog! ;)

good luck

Paddy

Let's hope the successful candidates put more effort in on the committee than you have electing them.

Hmmm how cynical even if true 500 or 5000 words wouldn't make a difference.

Sad but true!!!!

How so? Please provide evidence.

I went through the candidates fist. Not every word of course as some 'I am a ... is instant 'no chance'. I picked 5 then the wife read (everything as I miss lots) and agreed my choices. Of course as has been said people can write what they like about themselves - true or false and it's only if you know them well you can really get a handle on what they think. Not only that but saying you feel the current mob should be got rid (as an example) of may/may not get you votes and I have to say if I wrote 500 words about me, then read them cold I probably would not vote for me! I voted online and then went back through the listfinding a 6th to 10th choice. I must admit I made number 10 one of the 5 famous bods as I definately think they are not as bad as some of the others who were a total turn off.

Finally I know that they can't do it and be a fair election but I wished there was somewhere where you could see a current exit pole (as it were) to see the trends. I hate the sure things like 'no matter what Robin, Hales and the old crew still carry on and so win' but then CART is a right parsons egg designed by them for them as we all know.