tiling shower - how do i make sure it is waterproof

Featured Posts

Hi, I have recently found water seeping through my tiles next to the shower. I was going to replace the grouting but discovered some of the wood was rotten and had to strip all.the tiles off.

I want to make sure that when I replace them I don't get the same problem again. Any advice on an ffordable waterproofing treatment/products/techniques?

Hi, I have recently found water seeping through my tiles next to the shower. I was going to replace the grouting but discovered some of the wood was rotten and had to strip all.the tiles off.

I want to make sure that when I replace them I don't get the same problem again. Any advice on an ffordable waterproofing treatment/products/techniques?

Marine grade ply, painted with emulsion makes a great sound backing to tile onto. If some water does penetrate the grout it won't harm the backing.

I can't see why doing a proper tiling job would let water through. There are millions of showers world wide whiich are tiled, it's pretty much the deafacto method.

Done properly the tiles and the grout are the water barrier, not what you put behind them, although substrate preperation and choice are important considerations.

I can't see why doing a proper tiling job would let water through. There are millions of showers world wide whiich are tiled, it's pretty much the deafacto method.

Done properly the tiles and the grout are the water barrier, not what you put behind them, although substrate preperation and choice are important considerations.

Millions of showers are tiled worldwide, but they're not generally subject to the kind of vibration and flexing encountered on a boat, especially when doing things like craning and drydocking. Lots of people manage to tile wet areas on boats successfully, while others tile properly yet still report leaks through cracked grouting even though they used flexible grouts.

I was just suggesting a good alternative method of ensuring that the shower will never leak, while still providing an aesthetically pleasing appearance. You might be surprised at how good some of those panels look. Millions of showers worldwide are lined with decorative waterproof wall panels too, and the number is increasing. There's nothing wrong with tiles, but I don't understand why one wouldn't consider a good alternative method that works?

Edited by blackrose

Millions of showers are tiled worldwide, but they're not generally subject to the kind of vibration and flexing encountered on a boat, especially when doing things like craning and drydocking. Lots of people manage to tile wet areas on boats successfully, while others tile properly yet still report leaks through cracked grouting even though they used flexible grouts.

I was just suggesting a good alternative method of ensuring that the shower will never leak, while still providing an aesthetically pleasing appearance. You might be surprised at how good some of those panels look. Millions of showers worldwide are lined with decorative waterproof wall panels too, and the number is increasing. There's nothing wrong with tiles, but I don't understand why one wouldn't consider a good alternative method that works?

I agree. I have many letted properties and done properly as they have been we have no shower problems with tiles.

Of course boats are subject to flexing from either external or expansion forces, but if a good flexible grout and adhesive is used there should be no problem.

Shower panels are of course perfectly acceptable but the OP was on tiling. Indeed I used panneling on my motorhome first to save weight but also to account for flexing. Linky

My previous NB had tiny tiles 25mm mosaics with loads of grout without prolem ( done properly) and my ne build has tiles,as well on flexible grout and adhesive. Linky

Cement board, silicone, tiles, waterproof grout.

I put cement-washed aquapanel onto the ply first. Then used flexible floor tile cement - this goes on a bit thicker and allows for a bit of flexing. Then grouted with flexible grout except all the corners. These were filled with silicone as if the grout is going to crack on a boat, it is invariable in the corners. Five years later (and a few knocks!) the shower is still completely sound.

There was a recent thread on just this subject (clicky).

cheers,

Pete.

I agree. I have many letted properties and done properly as they have been we have no shower problems with tiles.

Of course boats are subject to flexing from either external or expansion forces, but if a good flexible grout and adhesive is used there should be no problem.

Shower panels are of course perfectly acceptable but the OP was on tiling.

I agree that there should be no problem, but as I already said, my experience suggests that their often is, even if a good flexible adhesive & grout is used.

The OP actually asked for: "Any advice on an ffordable waterproofing treatment/products/techniques?"

He mentioned that he'd had problems with his tiles, but he didn't specify that the advice sought pertained only to tiles. I saw no issue with broadening the discussion to include other products.

Edited by blackrose

We used this. http://www.bushboard.com/range.asp?range=nuance

Worked well so far and far easier to apply than tiles.

John.

So how long is so far? I used some in a shower for a lip as the customer liked the finish and it was all they had! I sealed it in so no "bush" was showing, and it took about a week to soak a tin of varnish into the compacted pieces of compacted hedge cuttings it seems to consist of underneath the formica. It had such a huge absorbtion capacity that it may not show water ingress for ages; long enough for a whole series of beasties to set up a fairly large base camp?

one thing I have always done when installing a shower is to stop the substrate about an inch above the shower tray rim. Then I tile or panel down to the shower tray and silicone to finish the bottom seal. If the bottom seal does fail it then can't travel by capillary action into the substrate.

• 4 weeks later...

one thing I have always done when installing a shower is to stop the substrate about an inch above the shower tray rim. Then I tile or panel down to the shower tray and silicone to finish the bottom seal. If the bottom seal does fail it then can't travel by capillary action into the substrate.

Just a thought - then - - -

I follow the logic that the damp cannot travel by capillary action to the substrate . . .but if the bottom seal does fail then it will travel, presumably the moisture will then travel to the wall behind the substrate, or to the floor beneath the shower tray.

Is there not a way of introducing a dpm (maybe even curling back on itself within the gap between substrate and shower tray) that will minimise the risk of such capillary action?

An architect I've been speaking to about house alterations has described how a shower cubicle should be lined with a waterproof membrane covering the walls and floor of the space. The tray is laid on this membrane and the wall finish (tiles board or what you will) applied over it too. Belt & braces, sounds good to me.

i have always done my showers with a tile effect lino very quick and never leaks and warm to the touch when in the shower on those cold days

For many years my house shower was linoed using carpet tape. Warm. Then I got posh and tiled it. The weight of the tiles is on the limit of what the (ancient) wall can take! But it hasn't fallen down yet.

I grouted the shower cubicle in my bathroom with bathroom silicone sealant. Ultimate waterproofing and flexible

I've done the same using 'White for life'. Mine is a 3ft x 6ft wetroom covered floor and wall to ceiling entirely with 20mm tiles... thousands of them, silicone squeezed between each one and finished off by hand. Each tile is fixed to the 18mm WBP backing with a blob of 'Wet grab'.

It's not quite finished yet, ongoing 6 month so far :rolleyes:

I've done the same using 'White for life'. Mine is a 3ft x 6ft wetroom covered floor and wall to ceiling entirely with 20mm tiles... thousands of them, silicone squeezed between each one and finished off by hand. Each tile is fixed to the 18mm WBP backing with a blob of 'Wet grab'.

It's not quite finished yet, ongoing 6 month so far :rolleyes:

That sounds most impressive -

I have to say that I like everything finished off by hand in the bathroom

:rolleyes: