How do you single handed manage swing bridges?

Gazboatman

Featured Posts

Most of our cruises will be on the L&L once we get our boat fitted out, not many locks from where we are hoping to get a permanent mooring, but lots of swing bridges. Now I will be with my missus and three kids but I don't think the other half would be able to manage controlling the boat through an open bridge whilst trying to watch 3 kids, the youngest being three. She would have no problem with the automated bridges but would probably struggle with the manual ones, which there are a lot of. So basically I'm single handed. So how do I manage on my own?

The only solution I can think of is taking a small kayak with us on the roof which I can use to get across the canal to move the boat through the open bridge and then kayak back across the canal to close the bridge but can't imagine the people waiting to cross being too happy. or just sit and wait for another boat?

So how do you manage on your own?

Edited by Gazboatman

If you can't moor the boat on the offside use long lines; get off the boat on the towpath side, take line with, pull boaty to the other side once the bridge is open, motor through,hop off lashing the stern to the bridge as you do then lower & recover the boat.

There are various tricks you can use such as tying the bow rope to the bridge to help pull the boat through, wedging the boat diagonally against the bridge mouth so that you can get off the boat at the front or the back,come in to the offside ver very slowly so you can step off at the bow in the 2 metres gap between brambles and bridge .... It does sound as if you have one advantage in your situation, your wife can throw you a rope once the bridge is open.

The best thing if you don't know a bridge is to moor in the normal place have a look and work out the best strategy, noting things like the direction of swing, and ho easy it will be to get on an off the bridge when it's open. The one good thing about swing bridges is that you know there's no one there to rush you, if anyone does appear then they can help you out.

I asked a single crewed boat on the L & L a short while ago and he just said that he either waited for another boat to come along (as he had with us) or for a pedestrian cos most of them are willing to assist, it depends on how old the kids are,can't they help ?, my other half opens all the swings bridges for us, it's her form of exercise and cheaper than the gym :lol:

Dave

There is a well tried and tested method to open and close swing bridges which swing on the opposite bank, but you will need some simple pre-prepared equipment:-

1. A pole about 6ft long with a point on one end and a large screw eye screwed into the other end.

2. A length of thin line about 20ft long with a rock climber's carabina tied onto one end, and with the other end threaded through the screw eye and secured.

3. A full length (12ft plus) pole.

4. A lump hammer

Method:-

1. Tie the boat up on the towpath and carry the equipment to the bridge.

2. Walk over the bridge and unlock it.

3. Walk back to the towpath side and secure the thin line with the carabina to the towpath end of the bridge handrail that will be adjacent to the canal when it is open.(L/H side for counter clockwise opening , and R/H side for clockwise opening)

4. Take the 6ft pole and hammer it into the ground opposite where the outer end of the bridge will be, when opened.

5. Start to open the bridge manually, and then using the long pole push it very hard to open the bridge, it does not matter if it does not fully open as long as there is sufficient space for the boat to get through.

6. When the bridge is sufficiently open carefully take the line and pull it through the screw eye until it is sufficiently horizontal to allow the boat to pass under it. Loosley tie the line off.

7. Go back to the boat and take it through the bridge and moor up on the other side.

8. Return to the bridge and pull it closed with the line.

9. Walk over the bridge to lock it and collect all your equipment,

10. walk back to the boat and proceed, hoping there is someone at the next bridge to help you!!

I have explained this method several times over the years, but cannot find any of my previous posts through the search, now if it is single handing lift bridges , I can find that one.

Edited by David Schweizer

hmm, some good answers BUT we are talking L&L here, I've done it 3 times and the un mechanised swing bridges were shy and reluctant to swing, unless they are now properly maintained! SWMBO couldn't shift some of them and doesn't want to go that way again. I don't think pulling with rope from towpath side would have worked. However I've used the "bow into offside" or "Fasten to bridge" method to do them single handed.

For added fun and jollity you can play the Cars = points game, 50 points for a white van, 10 for a car, 25 for a sports car, double points for those that do a screeching 3 point turn and scuttle away...........

hmm, some good answers BUT we are talking L&L here, I've done it 3 times and the un mechanised swing bridges were shy and reluctant to swing, unless they are now properly maintained!SWMBO couldn't shift some of them and doesn't want to go that way again. I don't think pulling with rope from towpath side would have worked. However I've used the "bow into offside" or "Fasten to bridge" method to do them single handed.

For added fun and jollity you can play the Cars = points game, 50 points for a white van, 10 for a car, 25 for a sports car, double points for those that do a screeching 3 point turn and scuttle away...........

I asume you could not find the tongue in cheek smiley. Have you thought of doing them yourself and letting your wife steer the boat? I can just imagine what my wife wuold say if I expected her to scramble off the foredeck of our boat and clamber onto a bridge that was then too difficult for her to move.

As for reluctance to swing, I doubt that they could be any harder than some of the swing bridges on the K&A. even the notorious one just outside Hungerford can be moved using the methiod I have outlined.

I asume you could not find the tongue in cheek smiley. Have you thought of doing them yourself and letting your wife steer the boat? I can just imagine what my wife wuold say if I expected her to scramble off the foredeck of our boat and clamber onto a bridge that was then too difficult for her to move.

As for reluctance to swing, I doubt that they could be any harder than some of the swing bridges on the K&A. even the notorious one just outside Hungerford can be moved using the methiod I have outlined.

Tis how we do them - yes they are hard work but Jan has an old knee injury which plays up and prevents her from giving them the required 'hunmph'

Works for us......

L&L canal..swing bridge...I use a rope as mention on here...at one swing bridge I noticed a chain under the canal which helped.....sometimes I ask towpath walkers...lift bridges I can manage by holding on to front rope(bow).longish rope,then pull or move boat as near as I can.get onto bridge wind bridge up(assuming the winder is opposite tow path)then either get under bridge,sometimes possible and pull boat to other side .hold rope close bridge...some times it can go wrong...or move boat almost touching lift bridge.get off/wind bridge/back on boat and steer to other side.back up as close as possible and lower bridge.

or seeing hire boat in distance,catch up and follow behind.

If I remember correctly there is one road swing bridge I was unable to do on my own,on the L&L,with out getting wet.

you had to lower by hand each barrier either end of road.then on control box on path on bridge wind wedges up then wind bridge open...you are then other side of towpath...there was a lady there who did the bridge for me whilst I moved the boat..

road bridge.electric operated.I do these solo very early in morning or follow another boat or towpath walkers ask...on one swing bridge a cow stayed on bring untill I shut it again,the bridge was covered in muck.from London onto the L&L solo and back you learn a lot...

Edited by sheriff

Most of our cruises will be on the L&L once we get our boat fitted out, not many locks from where we are hoping to get a permanent mooring, but lots of swing bridges. Now I will be with my missus and three kids but I don't think the other half would be able to manage controlling the boat through an open bridge whilst trying to watch 3 kids, the youngest being three. She would have no problem with the automated bridges but would probably struggle with the manual ones, which there are a lot of. So basically I'm single handed. So how do I manage on my own?

The only solution I can think of is taking a small kayak with us on the roof which I can use to get across the canal to move the boat through the open bridge and then kayak back across the canal to close the bridge but can't imagine the people waiting to cross being too happy. or just sit and wait for another boat?

So how do you manage on your own?

Having single handed the L&L many times (like you, small child on board so often boat as if single handed!!). The easiest way I have found is, as outlined by another post; if you can't stop at the bridge on off towpath side (i.e. the side of the bridge you have to operate it), stop on towpath and walk over bridge with a long bow line in your hand. Unlock and open the bridge, pull bow over to you, hop on boat and motor through. Stop on other side and get off stern with stern rope in your hand and close bridge (can't think of any that are too hard to get back too to close, although sometimes a bit of a clamber as you will be off towpath side). Close and lock bridge. I never tie my boat to anything, just make sure you can either keep hold of the rope (loosely) or lay enough out on the ground that if the boat drifts, there's enough to grab and pull boat back.

Anyway, if you pass Meridian round Skipton, give us a shout and I'll pop out and do bridges for you.

It sounds harder than it is!!! Just take it steady and take care if it's wet.

• Greenie 2

I have seen quite a few photos of swing bridges on the L&L and they all seem to have nice hard edges and mown grass on the off side, and I can see how it would be quite easy to do. Unfortunately most of those on the K&A have no access onto the off side except across the bridge, the bank usually being inaccessible either because of fences, or brambles (or both!") In most instances, the only way onto the off side from a boat is off the foredeck and over the handrail onto the bridge, something I would not even contemplate without tying the boat securely to the bridge first.

I tried it a couple of times and it was a mess, tying up onto the bridge, then having to untie it again to open the bridge, and then haul it back, and climb back on to the boat, motor it through, stopping at the other side, tying the back end onto the bridge, then hauling myself back up onto the bridge, untying the boat, closing the bridge, pulling the boat back towards the bank to get back on, then trying to manouver the boat out of the mud to move forwards.

I found the rope and stick method a lot quicker, easier, and safer.

Having single handed the L&L many times (like you, small child on board so often boat as if single handed!!). The easiest way I have found is, as outlined by another post; if you can't stop at the bridge on off towpath side (i.e. the side of the bridge you have to operate it), stop on towpath and walk over bridge with a long bow line in your hand. Unlock and open the bridge, pull bow over to you, hop on boat and motor through. Stop on other side and get off stern with stern rope in your hand and close bridge (can't think of any that are too hard to get back too to close, although sometimes a bit of a clamber as you will be off towpath side). Close and lock bridge. I never tie my boat to anything, just make sure you can either keep hold of the rope (loosely) or lay enough out on the ground that if the boat drifts, there's enough to grab and pull boat back.

Anyway, if you pass Meridian round Skipton, give us a shout and I'll pop out and do bridges for you.

That's exactly how I do it too. Having done the whole L&L single-handed, what starts out as a fun challenge soon becomes a pain in the rectum! Love that canal though.

Yes a tried and tested method,like you say sounds harder than it is.But like sex after the first 1/2 dozen times it gets better ! :blush:

14skipper

This seems like the best way to go about it.

Thanks all!

:cheers:

Jeepers Creepers !

I feel tired reading all that never mind doing it. I have done the whole of the L&L single handed and how did I do it?

Simple....chilled out, waited for another boat with enthusiastic crew and asked 'would you mind awfully if I tag along'

Remember, we are supposed to be boating to relax not win 'Now get out of that'

Jeepers Creepers !

I feel tired reading all that never mind doing it. I have done the whole of the L&L single handed and how did I do it?

Simple....chilled out, waited for another boat with enthusiastic crew and asked 'would you mind awfully if I tag along'

Remember, we are supposed to be boating to relax not win 'Now get out of that'

Yea I would have no problem doing this if I was a live aboard and in no rush. But I'll be setting off from my mooring on a weekend trip and the first swing bridge is 2 mins away then every 15-20 mins thereafter.

Not much of a cruise if we have to spend half a day waiting for another boat. :)

Older two children watch the youngest, wife helps?

Other two kids are 12 and 9 (girls), too young to watch a 3 year old on the water.

The one good thing about swing bridges is that you know there's no one there to rush you, if anyone does appear then they can help you out.

This is ok for the farm bridges on the L&L but several are road bridges and speed is most definately of the essence at some.