Dinettes - Opinions please

nearlythere

Featured Posts

Firstly may we wish you all a very Happy New Year!

A slight hiccup in the planning stages of our boat. We had finally decided on an L-shaped dinette against a pullman but after speaking with the builder last week,in his opinion they weren't as "comfy". So, having not really tested one out so to speak, we would like your experience with them please? We did decide against a raised one so as to give us more of a back cushion, but do the cabin sides above the back cushion really cause it to be un-comfy? Do they force you to lean forward in any way? We are going to try and visit a couple of boats which have each option but would like boaters experience and opinions please?

And a happy new year to you and yours.

Because of the room they take up we decided not to have one,and got a boat with a rear cabin to use as a extra berth should it be required.And have a wall mounted table to give us a eating area,but one which can folded down to give us more space. :cheers:

14skipper

Edited by 14skipper

A slight hiccup in the planning stages of our boat. We had finally decided on an L-shaped dinette against a pullman but after speaking with the builder last week,in his opinion they weren't as "comfy". So, having not really tested one out so to speak, we would like your experience with them please? We did decide against a raised one so as to give us more of a back cushion, but do the cabin sides above the back cushion really cause it to be un-comfy? Do they force you to lean forward in any way? We are going to try and visit a couple of boats which have each option but would like boaters experience and opinions please?

This is nearly as dodgy as asking about pump out or cassette bog. For me, I dislike intensley either kind of dinette, they are simply not comfortable and I like many others have sat on many different types by many builders all are not for me but............. :)

Personally, I don't find the L-shaped dinette very comfortable on narrowboats as they tend to be a bit "sit up and beg" as a main lounging area.

It is probably fine for occasional use (i.e. weekend use), but its a subjective matter.

We have two straight dinette sections athwartships with a table between, which is fine for meals or to use the table where you are sitting up straight.

Hi

Neither type of dinette will give you total armchair comfort, particularly if you try and fit the cushions under the gunwale overhang, your head will nearly always come into contact with the topsides when you are sitting down. I think the L shaped dinette is better than the face to face kind, since you can lie down or recline on it without making up the bed.

The L shape works much better with a folding movable table rather than one on desmo tube type legs.

If you look at the May & June 2011 issues of Waterways World, a suitable method of inserting a storage unit behind the back rest to keep your head away from the woodwork is shown in the "build a bed settee" project. The back issues or the articles can be downloaded for a small fee. Any competent fitter will able to produce the item shown.

Mike.

Previous boat had an L shaped dinette which was not comfortable, and was the only seating in the saloon area. Current boat has a pullman dinette, much more comfortable and slightly raised to see out of the windows better, plus we have a free-standing area with comfy chairs, best of both worlds! So I think the answer to your question depends on whether the dinette is the only seating area, or whether it will be used just for eating / working etc. If the former, L is probably better for slouching/reclining, if the latter I would say pullman. Both should be around 6'6" so both take up the same space.

Maybe also depends on whether you like to look at the face of your partner, or whether you would rather not!

I love my dinette. It's the social middle of our boat because I love cooking. It's fairly open, 2 straight cushion seats & backs with a table in the middle. It all converts to a double berth if we need it but so far have never used it. It also doubles up as our computer area so I wouldn't be without it. Both husband and myself find it really comfortable but we've got soft foam seating. Don't know if this makes a difference. Our boat is 62 feet BTW so if size matters, maybe you don't need one. We enjoy ours. Had many a lengthy discussion over who's turn it is to wash up;-)Sauce bottles at dawn kind of thing.

I built an L dinette earlier this year, and spent ages making mock ups to get it comfortable. The key seems to be sloping back cushions. I've got them to keep your head away from the cabin sides as well. It gives a more open aspect than a pullman, especially as our table is in two parts, and we only usually use one. By using folding chairs in the 'corridor' we have seated 8 round the table.

Richard

Unless you want to convert to an extra bed dont have one. Use the space as part of the saloon & have a foldaway table & chairs. In our limited experience, converting seating to bedding is a right pain & never comfortable. Seating that is supposed to convert is never really comfortable as seating either. We have a table that has 4 chairs folded away inside it for when we have visitors but on our own tend to use trays, lazy maybe but we are boating. :rolleyes:

Steve

We have an L shaped dinette on our boat which I designed and built because we wanted the option of a double bed without creating a space which would be un-used most of the time. During the day, we use it with a narrow drop leaf table for meals, but in the evening we have two large comfortable Swivel chairs for watching TV or reading etc.

Long term comfort is an issue, but the observation of a sloping back is valid, and having one does improve comfort.

I wouldn't be without a dinette. We sit there probably more than in the saloon, where there are freestanding armchairs. It's nice to have a table always available for computer use etc. as well as eating.

As to which type, I think a lot depends on the layout of the boat.

When we had a share boat, the dinette was between the saloon and the galley, and an L-shape worked well because it acted like an extension to the saloon, with additional seathing. You could also get five or six people round the table.

We now have a Pullman, but it's the other side of the galley from the saloon. It probably is more comfortable to sit at than the L-shape, but four people is the max.

We love our pullman dinette. So useful as a dropping off point/storage. Jan is heavily into craftwork, knitting, sewing and making all our Christmas/birthday cards so all her materials are stored in the "seat" at her side. I keep the laptop ready for use on my side. A minor point is that it just feels easier to simply clear a space and set the table rather than (as in our hiring days) having to fight to set up the table. Jan tends to sit there rather than in the lounge area when we are cruising because she can see what is going on and do her craftwork in good natural light.

We now have a Pullman, but it's the other side of the galley from the saloon. It probably is more comfortable to sit at than the L-shape, but four people is the max.

We are getting rid of our L dinette (uncomfortable), replacing with free-standing furniture. Then we're going to stretch the boat and insert a Pullman dinette, with seating for up to 6.

The extra seats will slide out into the corridor, as shown In this blog

Rob

Firstly, thank you all for you replies. I hadn't realised I was opening a can of worms..........

We have took heed of many good points and will discuss further. We are certain that we do need a dinette as we need the spare double bed. We also will be using the table a lot as we do at home for dining, computing etc. We will be having 2 loose recliner chairs in the saloon so we are alright when there is just the 2 of us. Our opinion of an L-shape is that it would give a more open aspect to the saloon and also double up as spare saloon seating for guests. Our main concern was the comfort aspect versus a pullman? Listening to your experiences, it seems that if we ensure that the seating is sloping back then this will ensure a little extra comfort?

Thank you all once again x

I find mine comfy enough for eating at and tend to sit on it with my feet up and the table folded away, when relaxing. I find that a few loose cushions help with regards to helping stop you headbutt the venetian blinds on the window, because as mentioned above the dinette back cushion is under the gunwhale.

med_gallery_1920_193_63820.jpg

It's also used as a guest single bed and was originally designed to pull out into an occasional double bed too.

For me it's a great use of space and I find it easier to sit at than Pullman dinettes

Unless you want the extra bed regularly (but see below) I would question the need for a dinette.

We have two comfortable reclining armchairs and a moveable table. The table is one of those drop-leaf types that takes 4 folding chairs inside. We normally have it set up with one leaf out and two chairs. It easily moves and comfortable seats 4 people if we need to.

The boat was specifically designed for two people, so just has a fixed double at the rear. For the odd occasion when people are brave enough to want to stop overnight with us, we have two folding "guest beds". These are singles that fold in half and are only about 4 inches thick when folded. They have a tubular steel frame with a wire base with thin foam matress, yet are surprisingly comfortable to sleep on. When folded they are hung on hooks and go under the gunwale. Being only 4in thick they take up virtually no effective space.

I find mine comfy enough for eating at and tend to sit on it with my feet up and the table folded away, when relaxing. I find that a few loose cushions help with regards to helping stop you headbutt the venetian blinds on the window, because as mentioned above the dinette back cushion is under the gunwhale.

med_gallery_1920_193_63820.jpg

It's also used as a guest single bed and was originally designed to pull out into an occasional double bed too.

For me it's a great use of space and I find it easier to sit at than Pullman dinettes

Wow! 10 out of 10 for style! I used to have an interior design business. Isn't our own comfort about what we create ourselves inside a living space?

Wow! 10 out of 10 for style! I used to have an interior design business. Isn't our own comfort about what we create ourselves inside a living space?

But all those Cushions!! you need a lot of floor space to dump them if you want to sit on it. :lol:

P.S. You m,ay have guessed that I hate cushions.

Hey, thanks! I've been a theatre designer for years so like to play with colour and shapes and space and fabrics. One of the joys of having a boat is making it your own and having fun with it, I reckon

But all those Cushions!! you need a lot of floor space to dump them if you want to sit on it. :lol:

P.S. You m,ay have guessed that I hate cushions.

The cushions are for sitting against. Also inside them I store all my spare bedding and towels so they're practical. Honest!

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting rid of our L dinette (uncomfortable), replacing with free-standing furniture. Then we're going to stretch the boat and insert a Pullman dinette, with seating for up to 6.

The extra seats will slide out into the corridor, as shown In this blog

Rob

I've now updated the blog with photos of the finished dinette - we'll be building another for bespoke boat we're starting in March. We have step by step photos on our facebook page of how it sets up. Unfortunately i don't seem to be able to update our Wordpress blog very well - I always seem to loose a number of photos when i post an update?!

Cheers

Justin.

• Greenie 1

I've now updated the blog with photos of the finished dinette - we'll be building another for bespoke boat we're starting in March. We have step by step photos on our facebook page of how it sets up. Unfortunately i don't seem to be able to update our Wordpress blog very well - I always seem to loose a number of photos when i post an update?!

Cheers

Justin.

It looks really great, Justin!

• Greenie 1

We decided that given the short length of time that we spend eating in any 24 hour period that we would forgo a dinette.

We have a 2 seater sofabed (proper job with legs etc) which we got from Itosofa, widthway across boat, really comfy for seating or sleeping guests. Gives us more room for eveything else. Personal choice of course.

Phil