what do you think

Myself

Featured Posts

We went to see the boat. It wasn't for me. Thank you for all the advice, it really helped me to know what to look out for. Am going to see a couple more later this week, all steel this time. Joy x

there were things that rang alarm bells, like couldn't put his hands on a survey, along with some other things, but It was very damp inside, even tho the guy said he had a leak in the bathroom but had fixed it, the dampness ran throughout the boat. (Though it would end up a nice boat if money was spent, but i don't have enough for that)

Edited by Myself

Sorry it wasn't for you but the right boat will come along...

But!....just so I can be clear about my defence of wooden tops...

If you are interested in buying a wooden topped boat then there are good ones and bad ones.

The one the OP looked at was a good one, with loads of potential.

The thing to look out for are big chunky hardwood cabin frames and carlings, like these:90775654.jpg

and avoid, at all cost, a wooden top whose frames are skinny, external and don't extend below the gunwales, like this one, on Ebay at the moment (apologies if it's your boat but it's a dog).

Ebay Clicky

The first boat could be reskinned in less than a week, leaving a cabin that will be strong and waterproof for another 10-20 years.

The second one has external watertraps, no substantial frames to fix it to the hull and, because the frames are outside the skin, rather than a simple reskin if there are problems with leaks, the whole cabin will need rebuilding completely or an endless cycle of bodge over bodge over bodge begins.

Found the right boat and the offer has been accepted yay, will post pics soon. Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Watch out there will be mad people out there now!

Triffic! Don't forget the survey, and if you need a hand I'm in the West Mudlands.

Not exactly a boating genius, but willing enough..

Edited by wrigglefingers

It's amazing how much you lot can tell from a photo!

As you've got this amazing talent, would anyone be able to give their valued opinion on this?: My link

Off to see it today, and as a boating newbie, I'd really appreciate some pointers on what to look for and how much to offer to pay, if we like it....

Many thanks,

Queen of the Night x

It's amazing how much you lot can tell from a photo!

As you've got this amazing talent, would anyone be able to give their valued opinion on this?: My link

Off to see it today, and as a boating newbie, I'd really appreciate some pointers on what to look for and how much to offer to pay, if we like it....

Many thanks,

Queen of the Night x

Make sure you can actually lie down in the bed without your head and feet touching the end. You may end up cutting a hole in the bulkhead if either of you isn't a midget.

Personally I don't like that kitchen/saloon layout for living with. An ex girlfriend had it and it's really hard to feel comfy with that corridor kitchen leading into saloon arrangement ime. But that might just be me. There's also no storage.

All those things are layout rather than quality issues though. I'd be very interested in that hull survey as it's fairly old and started at 6mm thick.

It's unusual to see a 50footer with two bedrooms. This may or may not suit you. I suppose you can convert the single into a backcabin/study which could well be a nice way of doing things.

I think the first thing to find out is what that very recent hull survey says about it.

Find out why it has had one...... Is it to find out what remedial work the hull may require ? I think it is unlikely it will be to prove that any recently done remedial work is satisfactory, as the boat has not been blacked since 2010, and presumably would have been reblacked if any new steelwork had just been added.

Try and note the surveyors name - people on here may have a view about them, perhaps that they may prefer to give you by private message ?

Purely aesthetics, but I personally am not a fan on diagonal planking for an interior. My personal taste is horizontal, or possible vertical, but not on a skew, but that's just me, I'll admit, but it put me off certain boats......

I guess you know that the Lister ST2 engine will be fairly bullet-proof, but air cooled, and typically nosier than a water cooled one, (although it will probably have an appealing 2 cylinder sound). A downside of air cooled engines is that they cannot heat a calorifier when running to give you "free" hot water, so you will be dependent on ways of creating hot water that mean burning gas, (or possibly solid fuel - not clear if central heating also supplies hot water - find out!).

Good luck!

One plus point for me would be that with the bow door being on the port side it would be possible to fit an L shaped dinette/double. bringing the berths up to five. If the hull is sound it looks like a good buy to me. Not an unattractive boat.

Edited by journeyperson

I thought it looked like a pretty nice boat - plenty of room for a sofa bed and armchairs in the front and most likely 'negotiable' in price. The recent survey should give you some confidence (depending on what it says of course) - as long as you wanted a boat of this size - we were looking for around 45 foot. Keep people updated - all good info for future prospective boaters.

A survey that you haven't commissioned yourself is worse than useless. Surveyors working for a broker who is marketing the boat tend to be optimists to say the least. Unless you have paid the bill for the survey you can't to hold the surveyor to account. Do you really think a seller would show you a bad survey report? A boat with a 6mm base plate that's lasted 27 years MUST be ready for extensive plating work.

Take off the rose tinted glasses! Even if it looks nice and has your dream layout, a proper survey is a must.

Best of luck with your search.

Mike.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped me when I was boat hunting. I have now purchased my boat and have put a few proud mummy pics up in the gallery for anyone interested.

Thanks Joy x

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped me when I was boat hunting. I have now purchased my boat and have put a few proud mummy pics up in the gallery for anyone interested.

Thanks Joy x

Well done Joy and welcome to the crazy world of boat maintenance!

Where is she?

It's amazing how much you lot can tell from a photo! As you've got this amazing talent, would anyone be able to give their valued opinion on this?: My link Off to see it today, and as a boating newbie, I'd really appreciate some pointers on what to look for and how much to offer to pay, if we like it.... Many thanks,

Queen of the Night x

I smell a rat here. Dasboot claims to have a Lister ST2 engine, which as Alan rightly says is air-cooled. But the engineering spec. says it has keel-cooling and I've never seen a water-cooled ST2. Where's Bizzard? There's a radiator in the washroom and pipes suggesting they are driven by the Morso solid-fuel fire which I can see. It uses a Morco to heat water for the galley and washroom. This looks like a very expensive boat to run. You have to buy diesel gas and solid fuel to cover all bases. Says at the very bottom that "the boat is coming in" to the broker at £22900. Yet they immediately knock £1000 off. It's worth a look but with a very jaundiced eye. I'd suggest offering £17,500 initially if your inspection makes you 'like' the boat. It's seriously a buyer's market right now. Have fun. Have you seen a boat called Lady Antonia which is selling down south at the mo. Compare.

Edited by Pentargon