Moorings on Nene an Great Ouse?

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

No, there's no 14 day moorings on the EA Anglian waterways and precious few 48 he ones. Unless you pay for a short stay mooring of one of the marinas on the Ouse. Or try your luck and moor up to a bit of riverbank / find a friendly farmer with a field. Unlike BW, there's no 'towpath' moorings and most of the banks are privately owned.

No, there's no 14 day moorings on the EA Anglian waterways and precious few 48 he ones. Unless you pay for a short stay mooring of one of the marinas on the Ouse. Or try your luck and moor up to a bit of riverbank / find a friendly farmer with a field. Unlike BW, there's no 'towpath' moorings and most of the banks are privately owned.

The only place I can think where you could moor safely for 14 days on the Nene is above Ashton Lock in the weir stream. I wouldn't want to leave a boat anywhere else unattended for that long in case the river came up.

There was a 62ft mooring going in Oundle Marina a few months back - not overly expensive at about £1400 without services but only occasional occupancy (allegedly) and one at Yarwell Mill for a bit more. Pontoon access to the Oundle one, but you'd need to build a rising mooring for Yarwell Mill otherwise you'd be at the mercy of the river levels.

I found that long narrowboat moorings were in very short supply on the Nene and the lack of cranes or slips or dry docks for longer boats made me think that I'd rather moor at Stourbridge and travel.

If you need to stay in St Ives you could try Jones marina 01480494040 which is at the E end of town just past the lock on the left heading upstream or the boatyard at Earith 01487842154- you can walk to St Ives along the river. All official moorings are 48hr but plenty of moorings between Brampton and Earith, mainly GOBA. The Olde Mill at Brampton 01480459758 has moorings at the back, unofficial moorings at the front and half a mile of GOBA moorings nearby. The island at Houghton is a cracking free mooring. St Ives is always busy but the rest of the river is normally dead Mon-Friday then busy over the weekend. Beware of Hemingford Abbotts- concrete mooring at paint stripping height.I would just shuffle between Brampton and Brownshill, and the three mooring spots in St Ives (Dolphin Hotel, GOBA and cutting by museum).

Are you looking for permanent moorings or advice for a single trip?

There was a 62ft mooring going in Oundle Marina a few months back - not overly expensive at about £1400 without services but only occasional occupancy (allegedly) and one at Yarwell Mill for a bit more. Pontoon access to the Oundle one, but you'd need to build a rising mooring for Yarwell Mill otherwise you'd be at the mercy of the river levels.

I found that long narrowboat moorings were in very short supply on the Nene and the lack of cranes or slips or dry docks for longer boats made me think that I'd rather moor at Stourbridge and travel.

I think he is only looking for 14 days

Not sure about 14 day moorings, but it could be worth joining GOBA they have loads of moorings and membership is very reasonable.

GOBA don't have 14 day moorings but still worth joining just for the overnights etc.

If you are bringing it round this way sometime soon,I dont think you will really have to worry about how long you stay as I doubt you will see many boats out somehow. If you are on your boat most of the time I cant see much of a problem,if you dont mind hopping about a bit. If not as said few posts up, Jones is a nice marina to stay.

Many thanks for all the helpful replies.

To explain I bought the boat in November from Braunston where it is moored and plan to take to the water virtually full time when I retire in Spring 2012. As I live in St Ives I thought it would be a good idea to bring it closer to home through the winter as I want to do some modifications and maitenance to the interior (exterior will have to wait for better weather). I've applied for a gold licence and plan on bring it round in Jan (weather permiting). I'm quite happy to move the boat but would rather not have to do so every 48 hrs. I've tried the local marinas but most haven't space for a 55ft boat and the one that can wants £280 a month. As I won't be living on the boat all the time but will spend 3-4 days a week onboard. I'll try GOBA first as they may let me overstay in the quiet season.

To explain I bought the boat in November from Braunston where it is moored and plan to take to the water virtually full time when I retire in Spring 2012. As I live in St Ives I thought it would be a good idea to bring it closer to home through the winter as I want to do some modifications and maitenance to the interior (exterior will have to wait for better weather). I've applied for a gold licence and plan on bring it round in Jan (weather permiting). I'm quite happy to move the boat but would rather not have to do so every 48 hrs. I've tried the local marinas but most haven't space for a 55ft boat and the one that can wants £280 a month. As I won't be living on the boat all the time but will spend 3-4 days a week onboard. I'll try GOBA first as they may let me overstay in the quiet season.

Martin, my partner and I are in similar circumstances, (in the middle of buying a boat and will move onboard in April). We will be touring and as this will be our first licence, are wondering whether to apply for a standard or gold licence. I am having difficulty in seeing the merits of the latter, what was it that influenced your choice?

Joshua

........................season.

Belay that request Martin, I have just noticed that you have already answered it on a different thread. I hadn’t appreciated that the BW standard licence didn’t allow access to the Nene.

Joshua

MI've tried the local marinas but most haven't space for a 55ft boat and the one that can wants £280 a month.

Have you checked for available space at Bill Fen marina in Ramsey? A fair way from St Ives by water, but not as the crow flies, so you might have overlooked it. If there's space that might suit you very well.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Have you checked for available space at Bill Fen marina in Ramsey? A fair way from St Ives by water, but not as the crow flies, so you might have overlooked it. If there's space that might suit you very well.

MP.

I was told last week that Fox's now have a few spaces.

MP.

I had missed that one. Thanks for the tip I'll give them a call.

Martin

You may enjoy reading this before contacting GOBA about overstaying http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/2008/07/no-problem-getting-heavy-hand-from-goba/

You may enjoy reading this before contacting GOBA about overstaying http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/2008/07/no-problem-getting-heavy-hand-from-goba/

Thanks. An interesting read which does not bode well for narrow boat owner. Clearly not going to bye sympathetic to a request to overstay before I join :unsure:

I'm now looking at a possible mooring at Oundle Marina which is a good compromise being about 40 minutes drive from home and only 3 days from the GU. I may move there permanently if they have a suitable mooring.

GOBA moorings may be okay in the summer - they are definitely not recommended when the river is in flood as, by and large, they aren't really "moorings" at all, usually just a length of rough bankside where they have negotiated a right to stay with the farmer or landowner. The annual fee represents good value for weekend cruisers in fine weather. GOBA isn't really a "narrowboat friendly" organisation, though - an article last year by one of their "senior" chaps inferred that cruising the Ouse was much better "before the advent of the dreaded narrowboat"!

14 day sites don't exist on the Nene or Ouse simply because all the adjoining land is privately owned and the facilities which do exist are more geared-up to smaller cruisers. However, the farmer/mooring owner at Fotheringay allows long term mooring - last year he was charging £3.00 per night though I would expect you could probably negotiate this down for a longer term, especially in winter. There appear to be three boats moored there long-term at the moment so still lots of space. Oundle is a decent enough value-for-money marina with a reasonable chandlery. Unfortunately the road into town is closed indefinitely to cars as the bridge is weak so the drive round is a bit of a dog-leg.

Mooring on the Gt Ouse over winter is not a good idea.The river regularly floods, the landing stages will be submerged and locks reversed by EA to act as overspill weirs.Downstream from Hermitage lock is much safer as flows are controlled by using Hermitage as a sluice.

Everytime last winter we visited our son at Godmanchester the same narrowboat was moored on the council moorings atr Huntingdon. Sometimes the river had flooded so they would have to wade through a foot of water to go shopping. Presumably the council have better things to do than chase overstayers.

The Old Bridge Hotel in Huntingdon has its own mooring. GBG listed and fantastic restaurant. Well stocked off licence.

Edited by pearley

Thanks. An interesting read which does not bode well for narrow boat owner. Clearly not going to bye sympathetic to a request to overstay before I join :unsure:

I'm now looking at a possible mooring at Oundle Marina which is a good compromise being about 40 minutes drive from home and only 3 days from the GU. I may move there permanently if they have a suitable mooring.

Check that there's sufficient clearance on the jaws of the marina - the new owners have promised that a new entrance would be built but I'm not sure that that'll happen until next year. I was doubtful about Cobbett getting through in one pass, but she's longer (62') and it would have been a struggle to have got her in straight although I looked at it in late August when water levels were very very low. She also draws nearly 3' as an added underwater hazard (plus, I'd be in charge of the steering; say no more!).

If it's the mooring outside the boathouse, it seemed very nice to me.

Check that there's sufficient clearance on the jaws of the marina - the new owners have promised that a new entrance would be built but I'm not sure that that'll happen until next year. I was doubtful about Cobbett getting through in one pass, but she's longer (62') and it would have been a struggle to have got her in straight although I looked at it in late August when water levels were very very low. She also draws nearly 3' as an added underwater hazard (plus, I'd be in charge of the steering; say no more!).

I've got Melaleuca in (and out again). With a few crunches. She's 60ft and 2'10" deep.

MP.

I was told last week that Fox's now have a few spaces.

A few spaces at Isleham, on the Lark (Riverside Island Marina), moorings available 3 months at a time. We do get occasional moorers in for the winter.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

If it's the mooring outside the boathouse, it seemed very nice to me.

I have got in out many times 62 feet, you just have to take it steady.

There are no new owners the marina is still owned by Fairline and is still on the market.

Edited by ditch paddler