What's the most useful thing on your narrowboat?

Guest Quo Vadis

Featured Posts

I try to remember a proper Belgium beer glass. Just can't drink that beer out of a pint glass or similar.

It's funny that, how beer tastes better out of the right glass. I have a nice, straight sided glass of English bitter with me now. It's useless for Lager

Richard

I wouldn't be without my digital multimeter -

so useful for a myriad of electrial things from testing bulbs and fuses to checking battery voltages.

The one on the boat has a clamp ammeter built in (you just clip round the wire you want to measure the current in) - really useful for checking how much charge the alernator is really putting out and how much current that fridge/light/pump is really using...

A small pocket radio for the weather forecast. (I don't have a TV.)

Good man. I've had one for a couple of months, but it's got to go. Never in the field of human entertainment has so much rubbish been served up by so many morons to so little effect.

On my xmas wishlist:

A Fein Multimaster (spelling unknown) toolset for doing absolutely everything.

B&Q have started selling one for £45.00 (corded) under the brand-name MacAlister. Mine hasn't packed up yet.

And something that will make my (unfinished) boat infinitely attractive to women.

Better after-shave?

My partner was recently given a Beer Bell for his birthday- so next year he will probably say that- If he thinks I'm running up and down the boat at the sound of a bell like Pavlovs Dog, he'll be in the canal followed by his bell!!!

Guest Quo Vadis

My partner was recently given a Beer Bell for his birthday- so next year he will probably say that- If he thinks I'm running up and down the boat at the sound of a bell like Pavlovs Dog, he'll be in the canal followed by his bell!!!

There was a handbell on my boat when I bought it .... I wondered what it was for :rolleyes:

There was a handbell on my boat when I bought it .... I wondered what it was for :rolleyes:

Be careful of overuse. Mine came with the boat, and although it worked fine to start with, I think that it is broken. I can still hear it , but nobody else seems to......

One if the most useful things on my boat is the kitchen/butcher type hooks I have hanging at the end of every curtain rail. I use them for all sorts of things that used to float about the floor waiting to be fallen over or trod on.

So far, the most useful thing on my boat has been a spare water pump.

It has got water out of all sorts of places it shouldn't have been, and I've just used it, by coupling it's inlet to the boat pump's outlet pipe, to suck all the water out of my calorifier, and to drain every last drop from the water tank.

Can't understand why I had to read down 23 albeit interesting posts before anyone mentioned a bottle opener !! :cheers:

After yet another narrowboat fire (at Lechlade this time)

Smoke alarm - you just can't live without one, might indeed be a prophecy

portable gas heaters, solid fuel stoves, overheating radio-alarm clocks, other electrical fires, exhausts and arson - all these have caused fires in the past few weeks.

Install a smoke alarm (or two or more if needed) and make a fire action plan, know what you would do, know how your fire extinguisher works, know how to use the extinguisher.

Perhaps this was a little bit too subtle....

Regards

Rob

After yet another narrowboat fire (at Lechlade this time)

Smoke alarm - you just can't live without one, might indeed be a prophecy

portable gas heaters, solid fuel stoves, overheating radio-alarm clocks, other electrical fires, exhausts and arson - all these have caused fires in the past few weeks.

Install a smoke alarm (or two or more if needed) and make a fire action plan, know what you would do, know how your fire extinguisher works, know how to use the extinguisher.

Perhaps this was a little bit too subtle....

Regards

Rob

Not just useful - utterly bloody essential.

I had a £70 victorionox multi tool, then i found out the hard way they are not the magnetic kind of stainless steel, it's lying at the bottom of the BCN, i nearly blubbed.

having a Leatherman or other expensive tool on a boat is just asking for it, i now go for the bargain bin versions.

lanyard