Water freezing

ploddy

Featured Posts

I think that if it just the tap that's frozen then hot water over it may free it up, but some marinas have uninsulated pipes running under the jetties & there's not much you can do with them.

At our marina they turn off all the taps on a jetty bar the one nearest the mains supply which has some form of heater on it. If you are at the wrong end of the jetty you may need 2 or 3 hoses to get water to your boat, or move the boat of course.

I guess with BW water points you would just have to try the hot water treatment.

ETA -- forget all that, just seen that it was the boat you were on about.

Edited by Midnight Rider

my water tap never freezes, my boat rarely drops below tropical temperatures as my stove doesn't go out oct-march.

as a liveaboard, this is one ofmy rules of engagement.

Hear Hear . . .

It is essential to keep the boat at a reasonable temperature (and well ventilated) through the winter - even if it doesn't get cold enough to freeze, it is not good for your health or for the health of the boat to endure cold internal temperatures for any length of time . . .

I am living on the boat but just been away for a few days and water has frozen I think, pump just keeps whirring and taps splutter.

I am living on the boat but just been away for a few days and water has frozen I think, pump just keeps whirring and taps splutter.

Tank empty?

That is not good - hopefully, everything will get back to normal when the boat warms through but the worst case could be split pipes or burst joints and water leaking into the bilge . . .

If we go away, we usually have a co-operative neighbour to keep the fire in for us - otherwise we just stay on board. It must count as one of the joys of boating . . .

Best thing you can go is light a fire (or whatever equivalent form of heating you use). Any frozen pipes inside the boat should thaw in a few hours, but try not to put any more stress on the system by running the pump until it's all thawed out.

On the other hand, if it's a pipe outside your insulated cabin space that's frozen, such as the pipe from your water tank, this will mean that water can't get to the pump. In this case see if you can get some heat from the cabin into that area by opening up the access hatch or whatever separates the cabin from that space.

Yep, that seems the obvious conclusion. I'm sure it hasn't been cold enough yet to freeze pipes.

Really? Do we know where Ploddy is in the country? I thought it was down to -3 or -4 deg in some places up north last night?

Really? Do we know where Ploddy is in the country? I thought it was down to -3 or -4 deg in some places up north last night?

The weather forecasters like to play safe these days!

I live up north and the forecast of -3 deg C for last night turned out to be a minimum of +2½ deg C.

Edited to add ........... just read on another thread it was (allegedly) - 7 at Braunston last night. .........

Edited by PhilR

I feel a bit dim now. I assumed the tank wasn't empty as it was ok when I left the boat but since the bow has grounded on the towpath side meaning the little water that was in the tank can't be pumped. Thanks for the suggestions. Even though we are living aboard I will be having to leave the boat a few times this winter for various reasons, is it best to drain the system first and close tank valve?

I feel a bit dim now. I assumed the tank wasn't empty as it was ok when I left the boat but since the bow has grounded on the towpath side meaning the little water that was in the tank can't be pumped. Thanks for the suggestions. Even though we are living aboard I will be having to leave the boat a few times this winter for various reasons, is it best to drain the system first and close tank valve?

If you have mains hook-up it might be most convenient to leave a small oil filled radiator (or similar) connected on a low setting.

All I have ever done is turn the water off at the tank, put the shower head onto the tray, open the taps, pump the water out of the pipes & turn the pump off.

As stated above, a heater on a frost stat if possible.

All I have ever done is turn the water off at the tank, put the shower head onto the tray, open the taps, pump the water out of the pipes & turn the pump off.

As stated above, a heater on a frost stat if possible.

Ahh thanks for reminding me MR, I have done all of the above but forgot about my shower, Just done that now as I dont know when I'll be on my boat next, they do say it dont freeze here but never say never...Im sure it will still get cold enough to get to my pipes so to speak, so Im certainly taking precautions

Regards

Rachel

It is essential to keep the boat at a reasonable temperature (and well ventilated) through the winter - even if it doesn't get cold enough to freeze, it is not good for your health or for the health of the boat to endure cold internal temperatures for any length of time . . .

Assuming your living on, and or using the boat often enough not to warrent draining it.

We have had minor issues with areas not fully drained feezing, but in the main have had little problem allowing the boat to remain unheated (and simply well ventilated) thoughout winter, and even the off bit of frost damage, is nothing like as incovnenent as the costs off attempting to heat it while it stands empy for 4months.

Daniel

Ahh thanks for reminding me MR, I have done all of the above but forgot about my shower, Just done that now as I dont know when I'll be on my boat next, they do say it dont freeze here but never say never...Im sure it will still get cold enough to get to my pipes so to speak, so Im certainly taking precautions

Regards

Rachel

Your'e welcome, yes, I know all about the cold getting to your'e pipes :wacko:

Your'e welcome, yes, I know all about the cold getting to your'e pipes :wacko:

Before you go check weather forecast, if its below freezing, either leave some heater on or drain tank and switch pump off, simples........we are leaving ours for 5 days, plan is if weather is going to drop over that period is to set central heating to come on a few times over that time to save us draining the tank..

• 2 weeks later...

In the past we had a pipe frozen but luckily the plastic fitting just popped and I was able to pushfit back since then I always isolate and drain off in the winter hen leaving the boat for more than a day, not forgetting the gas water heater.

Despite last years freeze, the water supply within the live aboard boat had no problems. But the tap on the bollard was prone to freezing, one trick advised by a neighbour was to turn the tap on slightly, attach a hose and drain the constant trickle into the canal.

Not to be attempted if you live/moor in Sussex!!!

Frank