Lock operation instructions

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

I posted this yesterday on another topic from which I barely escaped with my life. In the confusion I sort of lost the plot so I thought I would post it here and ask for comments. So here it is.

I was thinking the other day about lock safety and lack of hirer training and I thought, why don't they put "interpretation boards" at selected locks. Ones near hire bases and where gongoozlers gather. Instead of blethering on about some bloke the lock was named after in 1979 they should have detailed drawings of the mechanisms and relate the operation of the lock including cill warnings and suchlike. The gongoozlers would get an improved experience by walking round a succession of boards to each gate and paddle in sequence,recognising features in the chamber and so on. Watching a boat worked through would make more sense and of course for the new hirer it's on the spot instruction.

Comments?

I posted this yesterday on another topic from which I barely escaped with my life. In the confusion I sort of lost the plot so I thought I would post it here and ask for comments. So here it is.

I was thinking the other day about lock safety and lack of hirer training and I thought, why don't they put "interpretation boards" at selected locks. Ones near hire bases and where gongoozlers gather. Instead of blethering on about some bloke the lock was named after in 1979 they should have detailed drawings of the mechanisms and relate the operation of the lock including cill warnings and suchlike. The gongoozlers would get an improved experience by walking round a succession of boards to each gate and paddle in sequence,recognising features in the chamber and so on. Watching a boat worked through would make more sense and of course for the new hirer it's on the spot instruction.

Comments?

Instruction boards put up, at the locks close to hire-boat bases, explaning how to safely operate the lock would be a very good idea.

Peter.

Certainly a good idea, and getting the hire companies to pay for them (and maintain them) is equally as good.

But, would all hirers understand? I have my doubts, having watched groups going through the "instruction" on a real lock, then get it so wrong at the next lock...

As a new hirer I would be too preoccupied with getting through the lock and out of the way of other boaters to take much notice. The best place for me would be the natural first overnight stopping point after leaving the hire base.

Where would that be then..?

They certainly helped us when we first encountered the short run of three staircase locks on the eastern part of L&L last August with not a lockie in sight...

They were just step by step (not diagrammatic) and did assume a degree of familiarity with general lock operation, but they were useful even to experienced boaters like us.

I guess placed at 'ordinary' locks they would be good too for complete newbies...

Certainly a good idea, and getting the hire companies to pay for them (and maintain them) is equally as good.

But, would all hirers understand? I have my doubts, having watched groups going through the "instruction" on a real lock, then get it so wrong at the next lock...

That's why it should be done at several locks (3 to 5) in either direction, and the hire-boat company should tell the hirers to follow up the instructions on the boards at the locks step by step. I suppose that after having done 3 to 5 locks, they will know more or less what to do at the following locks.

Peter.

Reputable hire bases give their customers good tuition in using locks with videos and models etc, surely this is adequate?

I don't think the idea of them having to put them up would go down very well.

Also, being a bit of a traditionalist, I prefer as little "lock furniture" as possible. Where would it lead to, signs proclaiming "This advisory board is sponsored by xxxxx boatyard" with adverts on it? No thankyou.

Hello, by the way.

Reputable hire bases give their customers good tuition in using locks with videos and models etc, surely this is adequate?

Also, being a bit of a traditionalist, I prefer as little "lock furniture" as possible. Where would it lead to, signs proclaiming "This advisory board is sponsored by xxxxx boatyard" with adverts on it? No thankyou.

Hello, by the way.

Indeed hello and welcome,

The problem is that at hand over time there is a huge amount to take in from how to turn the gas off through to how to use the heating and on top of that how to steer the boat etc etc - As I said above some locks already have something like this - I think it's sound idea.

Hello, by the way.

I would agree about hire companies giving tuition. That's OK for experienced hirers, but I suspect a large proportion are first-time hirers. And they have a helluva lot to learn in a very short time. Impossible to retain it all initially, so I would think this sort of reminder would be greatly welcomed. Probably boats would come back with a bit more paint left and fewer dents too!

Brian

Hello, by the way.

Awesome hire bases actually take their guests through 3 locks by employing the services of JanetS !

Greenberfield Locks have exactly the sort of information you mention Snibble in lovely cast. Installed last year.

Awesome hire bases actually take their guests through 3 locks by employing the services of JanetS !

Greenberfield Locks have exactly the sort of information you mention Snibble in lovely cast. Installed last year.

Good, and lucky you for having Janet S. But a lot of hire bases don't have a lock within walking distance....

Y'know, I tend to go with our new member on this one.

The increasing number of signs seem to be there to absolve BW when things go tits up.

Back in history,--- 'when I were a lad'--- & was about to go on my first boat holiday & as my parents hadn't been before, I went to the library & got a book on the canals. As well as lots of good information, it gave diagrams & instructions for the locks & so before we set off we had a good idea of how to work them.

Now, with the internet, it's dead easy to find out & I can't believe that people can roll up at their first lock without the faintest idea of what to do.

don't all hire companys send dvds and manuals after you have booked..wyvern do,that should be more than enough.

Yes Silsden Boats have one aboard all their boats, and they also shown it to all hirers before they leave the base.

Just the other side of the lock? :icecream:

What lock...? some locks are a long way from the hire base.

The first lock we did was the first one I had seen close up. The boat yard had jumped ship as I knew how to steer.

Arrived at the first lock and took all the windlasses, I think there was three and I didn't know if different ones were required for each end, once there I worked out what to do.

Luckily I am quite a practical, problem solving sort of person and we went through without making a pigs ear of it.

There is at least as much here concerned with improving the "visitor experience" for gongoozlers giving them a far better insight into what is going on. Now I suspect that is the sort of thing CaRT would like. I'm only talking about a few locks here where there is a large visitor footfall (see, I know all of the jargon, 'cos of my arse :blush: )and sorry to say it but sponsorship could be a worthwhile income stream.