Tie everything down Thursday

matty40s

Featured Posts

BBC says it is bad in Scotland now ... "The P&O Cairnryan to Larne ferry "European Highlander" is unable to dock at Larne, presumably due to high winds. For the last half hour it has been sailing a figure of eight course off the coast north of Larne." - wonder how long it can keep that up?

BBC says it is bad in Scotland now ... "The P&O Cairnryan to Larne ferry "European Highlander" is unable to dock at Larne, presumably due to high winds. For the last half hour it has been sailing a figure of eight course off the coast north of Larne." - wonder how long it can keep that up?

presumably until it's blown into a figure of 9 course?

post-9615-0-59517200-1323238491_thumb.gif

There is far worse to come for anyone in the North of England/Scotland, and then down the entire East Coast where a storm surge is expected. It will happen from late Thursday moving across the Borders, slipping to the North Sea early Friday, and then should draw very cold air behind it to give snow down to the Midlands. Winds in Scotland could be storm force, even over land.

Watch the running of the solid fuel stove:

• Stormy or gusty weather, with winds whipping across the chimney top and flue gases being sucked out with a draw two or three times the normal strength.

see www.boatsafetyscheme.com/solidfuelstoves

Also, conversely you can get an inversion too which can be a carbon monoxide risk

Keep an eye on the stove in very windy weather

Rob

Watch the running of the solid fuel stove:

• Stormy or gusty weather, with winds whipping across the chimney top and flue gases being sucked out with a draw two or three times the normal strength.

see www.boatsafetyscheme.com/solidfuelstoves

Also, conversely you can get an inversion too which can be a carbon monoxide risk

Keep an eye on the stove in very windy weather

Rob

Good warning I have just had to open 2 windows due to Inversion....Thank you

Today is our bin day. I heard a lot of banging and clattering outside and saw that our food recycling bin had trotted off down the lane and was now sitting in the middle of the main road through the village. So, fearing that a car might hit it I ambled off to collect it. I'd only got about 10 yards when there was a sickening thud behind me......as the front door blew shut! It wouldn't have been so bad were it not for the fact that 99 times out of 100 the Yale lock sticks in the "open" position.....this was not one of those 99 times. Still, spent a pleasant hour with the neighbours dissecting the state of the nation whilst my not-so-impressed partner ferried her keys home! Finally got back in to find the dog has helped herself to a new box of Kleenex and started constructing the Christmas snowscape all round the house. Oh joy!

• Greenie 1

Yesterday's forecast threatened absolutely dire weather here in the Fens: cold, lashing rain, storm-force winds. So this morning I scuttled about laying the stove and getting plenty of firewood in, moving the plastic chairs from the garden in case they blew into the river, etc.

Now at 2.15p.m. it is looking as if I needn't have bothered. It's milder than yesterday, wid is strong but not alarming (24mph, BBC weather tells me) and it has not rained yet.

Famous last words? perhaps as I speak a tidal wave is rushing through Milton Keynes. Gosh, I do hope so.

You're kidding????? I saw a pot plant fall over through my porthole this morning. I think I'll be moving logs all over the place to keep the kayak, tv aerials, cat, and solar panels in place tomorrow..and I better not be leaving my empty toilet cassette out too long or it'll be floating past your window...:) hmmm....bit worried about my front cratch too now....it ripped off one zip and I've used tape to keep it intact for now....I better be waking early and sort it all out. The draft on the chimney is great for keeping the fire going though.

You could probably fish the chair out :)

:lol: If it flies past my window while full, i really won't be happy! :cheers: Yep we lost it cos Pav left it on the pontoon and then it was during the night that the wind picked up! We cant see it down below anywhere but its been a bit tough to see with the wind being up still and the waves on the water! We'll try and have a nose when its' calmed down a bit! Tried today but couldn't "feel" anything with a stick!

The plant pot didn't smash the porthole did it?!

Im actually loving the drama of the weather! Love feeling the boat moving and feeling scared - I don't need TV i've got onboard entertainment! :P

Given all the dodgy weather that had been forecast I was apprehensive about my planned cycle from Bristol to Bradford on Avon last Thursday. I was in Bristol on Thursday and decided to stay the night and get the train back on Friday - did this route on a nb last year but cycling in December???? Lovely day it was too - not a cloud in the sky and even though the towpath was a tad muddy a good journey - the pub in Avoncliffe warm and welcoming. Picked up some quinces from a small 'stall' next to the canal near to the aqueduct - can't buy these fruits in London so need to find a good recipe. Got me in the mood for looking at buying a nb for weekend/longer trips - see separate post.

Really need to wash the Brompton now.