National

Whitewater

Featured Posts

there's a pile of them next to the rocking horse poo works.

An ex GUCCo engineer told me they were no good, and i don't know how many were made but were are they all now ?

There's one in the knackered wooden boat Fornax, if it's still floating and for sale.

The boat is less knackered now & unlikely to be for sale again soon, AFAIAA.

Tim

We sold one a year or so ago, but it was opposite rotation to normal. I was going to put it in Satellite but it never happened. Don't know where it has ended up or who has it now. Tim a WFBCO might know.

Didn't Tony Redshaw have a couple? Would be worth a phone call. I might be passing tomorrow so I am do I will call in and ask.

We sold one a year or so ago, but it was opposite rotation to normal. I was going to put it in Satellite but it never happened. Don't know where it has ended up or who has it now. Tim a WFBCO might know.

Didn't Tony Redshaw have a couple? Would be worth a phone call. I might be passing tomorrow so I am do I will call in and ask.

Yes, but he had no gearboxes last I heard.

I suppose it's a matter of what is 'originality'.

Most boats like Baldock have spent more years running with there 'replacement' engines (Petter PD's, 2 & 3 pot Listers) than the original.

Like wise, even the original Nationals & RN's were swapped on a regular basis as the engines were overhauled bankside and the boats kept running.

So, different engines to the original are all part of the boats history

An ex GUCCo engineer told me they were no good, and i don't know how many were made but were are they all now ?

There's a woman called Margaret I met once by Stockton locks who was keeping a list of all extant Nationals.

I don't know how many were made but she said at that point (1999) she know of 10 to 15 DM2s still alive.

Pete Harrison would know because I believe that the reason National were making DMs was that RN couldn't keep up when the GU fleet was modernised (abbreviation apology)

What's a good condition Brunton (sp?) 'box worth these days?

Judging by how many industrial engines are now restored with PRM boxes which frankly, do not look the part, there may be a market for making a few old style boxes.

Up lifted from my engine re-build blog:

The National Oil & Gas Engine Company (to give them their full title) was a renowned and well known engine manufacturer of the late 1800's and early/mid 1900's.

Back in the early 1930's, Russell Newbery where building an engine with a marine variant called the DM2 (the 2 was for two cylinders - other numbers of cylinders where available). This was a very successful engine and had been widely fitted in many boats. Due to its success, in the early 1930's, the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co awarded RN a major contract for the supply of DM2's for its new Narrowboat fleet. This left RN with a problem, as they couldn't supply enough engines in the required timeframes. This problem was solved by National. They constructed engines, under licence, to meet Russell Newbery's demand.

Of the total GUCCC engines supplied, some 141 where built by National, with Russell Newbery supplying 38.

National continued to build variants of the engine for general and military use. Eventually, the National Oil & Gas Engine Company merged with Mirrlees in 1955

• 2 weeks later...

May be worth giving dave at RN a call,

I was there recently (2 weeks ago) and he had a couple of "old" gearboxs lurking, condition unknown to me.

but one was certainly a 1830's vintage - I have seen a version on a DM3 based in Hertford -

I have an RN fluid drive whoch are also not that common,, I believe there are 1/6 doz lurking around the system mainly on DM2's..

I think they also had a national at the Works but status unknwon..

have fun!

What's a good condition Brunton (sp?) 'box worth these days?

Isn't that an oxymoron? :rolleyes:

I gather the OP wants an engine 'as per original', I can't think of any other good reason for really, really wanting one!

In that case suggestions of RNs with alternative gearboxes probably won't satisfy him :o

RNs were fitted with a variety of different boxes after the Brunton, including their own 'hydraulic' box, Parsons, Self-changing gears, etc., but I doubt that any was ever fitted to a GU motor boat in working days.

AFAIK the DM3 had the bigger size of Bruntons box fitted, although the fitting to the engine was probably the same.

Tim

I was there recently (2 weeks ago) and he had a couple of "old" gearboxs lurking, condition unknown to me.

but one was certainly a 1830's vintage - I have seen a version on a DM3 based in Hertford -

I have an RN fluid drive whoch are also not that common,, I believe there are 1/6 doz lurking around the system mainly on DM2's..

I think they also had a national at the Works but status unknwon..

have fun!

I used to have one of those, it was the bigger size as fitted to 4-cyl & probably 3-cyl engines. I think I sold it to Compo for twopence halfpenny.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

whats happening with it nowdays then Tim ? last i saw it, it was in unsalvagable condition.

Nothing much in the last 12 months, but it's had a lot of new bottom boards (most of the bottom IIRC) & some planking a year or so ago.

Tim

but one was certainly a 1830's vintage..............

Blimey! - These go back a lot further than I had been lead to believe they do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a National Twin as a kit of bits in my garage, was going to rebuild and put into restored tug but sold boat.

I can't send you a personal message because of the annoying (but I suppose sensible) rule of the forum but if your kit of National bits is for sale please contact me through www.badseys.co.uk