top vent on a squirrel

pete23

Featured Posts

evening all, mad axe man here.

i assume theres a few squirrel owners on here.

well after 7yrs of owning a squirrel, ive only just opened the top vent when burning wood,seems to get red hot really fast.

does anyone else use the top vent? spoke to a few peeps and they never have.

thanks, pete.

evening all, mad axe man here.

i assume theres a few squirrel owners on here.

well after 7yrs of owning a squirrel, ive only just opened the top vent when burning wood,seems to get red hot really fast.

does anyone else use the top vent? spoke to a few peeps and they never have.

thanks, pete.

The top vent is for burning coal and should be closed burning wood. It works by secondary combustion of the gases given off by the coal.

The top vent is for burning coal and should be closed burning wood. It works by secondary combustion of the gases given off by the coal.

Err I think its the other way round. You need the top one closed for smokeless fuel as that ensures the air is drawn through from the bottom.

Err I think its the other way round. You need the top one closed for smokeless fuel as that ensures the air is drawn through from the bottom.

That's my understanding too but I have to admit I always keep the top vent closed whatever I'm burning.

I don't have a Squirrel, but this sounds like the 'airwash' system on our Charnwood woodburner at home. It's a bloody nuisance and has brought Mrs Mac & myseelf to the point of divorce.

Top vent open - air sucked in from the room, heat less controllable, glass stays clean, flue stays clearer, more heat wasted, more fuel used.

Top vent closed - stove controllable by lower vents, less heat wasted up the chimney, glass & flue collect more soot & tar, less fuel used.

Mrs Mac really likes to see the flames, and spends 20 minutes every morning scraping the glass (if she gets up first) after I've closed the top vent overnight (it won't stay in otherwise).

Things are getting a bit fraught. :wacko:

Yes, that's what it said in the manual for my Morso Panther, but you can open the top vent slightly when burning coal if you want some air going over the top.

Edited by blackrose

Morso Squirrel Model 1430 (cleanheat).

Top vent is at the back and always open, front vent rarely open more than a quarter turn, during day. At night bottom vent closed completely.

Burning 'Supertherm'

If you're burning wood and get a good fire going, you can close the bottom vents almost completely, and then regulate the flame using the top vent. By slowly closing & opening the top vent you can watch the base of the flame rising and falling to consume the available air. My Panther is so controllable it almost looks like it's running off gas.

Edited by blackrose

I can't go with that Mr P.

Ive had a moreso for years (see post on cracked top) and was told the top vent would give 'wash' over the glass for any fuel but close it when lighting & burning coal over night. For wood build up a bed of ash or put in a solid base plate & shut bottom vent controling the fire by top vent. coal needs air through it , wood needs air over it. for lighting open the ash door but keep a close eye. They can run away. It's worked for 20 years.