What's wrong with pump out toilets

Woodstock

Featured Posts

From an impartial point of view, this clearly being the number one winter debating issue and having it appears, remained unresolved for as long as toilets have been fitted to boats, suggests in itself, that there is no clear advantage of one system over the other, if there were, the ‘better’ side would have prevailed by now and the forum, when bored, would be arguing about something else like say, I don’t know, rivets!

Joshua

Excuse me Alan, but my opinion is as relevant as anyone elses!

I have never had a pump out loo on a boat I have owned, being as I have never owned a boat before, but I have used a boat with a pump out system, and one pumping out was enough to decide me thanks!

Edited by Starcoaster

That's why mrsmelly has three cassettes. One full, one in use and one standby ;)

..... and they don't take up much room in the cockpit :lol:

Pumpout (with big holding tank) for me every time.

Hi PJ you old goat

Actualy I had 3 cassettes ont last boat but only 2 on this boat. As for storage on this boat theres plenty of room to put a big tank on to store sh-t if I wanted but as there are no flying pigs round here I cant see it happening any time soon :D Have those idiots bankrupt the " Boat" yet ?

• 2 weeks later...

While cassette owners watch quietly in smug satisfaction as iced-in pump-out owners clench their buttocks and wonder how long the cold snap will last... :P

Sorry, but I know I made the right decision (for me). I had a pump out on my last boat and now I've got a cassette - I know which system I'll be sticking with. If a pump-out toilet suits you then carry on, but the implication that cassette owners have made the wrong decision is totally bogus.

I try to avoid these loo threads, but Tuesday night is masochistic night. So sorry to be coming late to the party.

What made you turn away from pump-out? As a wide-beam owner, you don't have the space problem that seems to me to be the sole reason (other than cost) to have a cassette? Always bearing in mind that a wise pumper-out keeps a porta-potti in reserve.

We have two bathrooms on our boat.One for the hubby because he takes so long to get ready. And one for me. To be honest,a pump out is great when you can empty it. But if we have an Arctic winter like last year and are stuck in ice, a cassette toilet is a Godsend. Pump out is more convenient because you don't have to empty it every few days. Cassette is better if we have a frozen winter. Can't say either smell. We use all the bacteria killing products and never had a problem. You can't be too scrooge on using the products though as some people can be :-)

Ah, that perennial argument that has gone on several decades. It is a matter of personal preference. And there the debate should end.

Indeed, and if heed had been taken of post #3

Pros and cons to both systems - it really just comes down to personal preference and what suits your circumstances.

If you look at all the numerous threads there have already been on the subject you will be able to see why people prefer their chosen system.

We might have saved three pages of the same old stuff......

Ah, that perennial argument that has gone on several decades. It is a matter of personal preference. And there the debate should end.

You're missing the point entirely, chaps. Who is the better foopball team, Tottingham or Arsenal? I am sure that many people in (and outside) North London will have an opinion on this. , but is there a definitive answer? "We have won more trophies", one will say, "but we play more attractive foopball", retorts the other. And so on, and so on. Would anyone say to these people enjoying their rivalry, "Ah, both teams have their merits, it's just a matter of opinion which one you like best". No. You'd incur the wrath of both parties and may even end up wearing your drink. And rightly so.

ooooh, we hate them cassette toilet bastards. etc... Long may it continue. :)

We might have saved three pages of the same old stuff......

There's even a page four now, when will this useless battle finally stop, as everybody knows by now that only the system they have is the best.

Peter.

You've clearly had a brush with Mrsmelly

We have two pump-out loos. Had them for eight years - they're brilliant

Pump-out owners watch quietly in smug satisfaction as cassette owners trying to convince themselves that they made the right decision

Richard

Pump-out owners watch amusingly at the cassette owners who hurry along to the Elsan in all weathers and at very regular intervals. Then what's even more amusing, listen to them trying to either justify their choice of loo, or, condemn those who chose the wiser option.

No contest, unless you somehow enjoy the Elsan experience! :rolleyes:

Get ready for the flak........ :unsure:

Edited by Doorman

Pump-out owners watch amusingly at the cassette owners who trapse along to the Elsan in all weathers and at very regular intervals. Then what's even more amusing, listen to them trying to either justify their choice of loo, or, condem those who chose the wiser option.

No contest, unless you somehow enjoy the Elsan experience! :rolleyes:

Get ready for the flak........ :unsure:

Jesus tonight.... :rolleyes:

Excuse me Alan, but my opinion is as relevant as anyone elses!

I have never had a pump out loo on a boat I have owned, being as I have never owned a boat before, but I have used a boat with a pump out system, and one pumping out was enough to decide me thanks!

I really don't understand. You pull in, ask someone to pump out your toilet, go to the shop/chandlery, come back and pay your £15. What is so unpleasant about that?

Dave - the worst elsan point I ever saw was at Whaley Bridge. Full and sh*t everywhere. It doesn't matter to me whether this was caused by a self PO or not it was still disgusting. To pretend that most Elsan points are clean and pleasant places doesn't wash with me.

I really don't understand. You pull in, ask someone to pump out your toilet, go to the shop/chandlery, come back and pay your £15. What is so unpleasant about that?

Dave - the worst elsan point I ever saw was at Whaley Bridge. Full and sh*t everywhere. It doesn't matter to me whether this was caused by a self PO or not it was still disgusting. To pretend that most Elsan points are clean and pleasant places doesn't wash with me.

Which of course only works on parts of the system that has PO machines that provide an operator.

Even the PO machine at Mercia marina where we where is self operated...

I have no idea as to the nearest location of an operated one up here - the nearest PO machine of any description seems to be at Castleford which is.....

card/self operated....