BCN 24 Hour Challenge 2012

Capt Ahab

Featured Posts

3 still slightly damp crew members of Team Tawny Owl (actually 4 if you include Millie) are now in Kent for the Jubilee celebrations, which unfortunately meant we had to miss the ensuing pub visit.

What a fantastic weekend! We've wanted to do it for a while but this is the first time it worked in with other commitments, ok I'll be honest, it's the first time we've got our finger out and made the necessary arrangement :D I was amazed at how lovely some of Birmingham's canals are, in particular the "Curly Wurly". We're hoping to winter in the Brum area next year and plan to explore it extensively.

Thanks to Richard & Sue for letting us crew for Tawny Owl, and particularly Sue for keeping us fed and Anne for the constant supply of coffee!

Time to start planning Team Iona's strategy for next year!

PS Hope your cold gets better soon Richard. Oh and you do know that 2012 is always going to be remembered as the year Richard fell in don't you?

PPS Sorry about the bag of Millie poo left on the front deck, we did intend to find a poo bin before we left, honest!

Team Collingwood successfully made it back to Gas Street, albeit only got as far as Smethwick Junction before 2pm.

FadeToScarlet got very wet, and didn't sink the boat or get stemmed up, and stood outside in the rain taking turns on the tiller for most of Sunday, and walked most of the Tame Valley and the Rushall to set ahead on Saturday.

Mykaskin was brought a full fried breakfast in bed.

Sarahavfc didn't join the mass exodus of myself, Ian Bingham, and a couple of other keen beans at 4:30am and stayed in bed. Until Midday.

I enjoyed catering for 13.

We all got rather wet and cold. The engine room, next to the AS2 in full cry, was a popular place to be.

So. Routes, eh?

Start at top of farmer's bridge - 8:25am

Down Ashted, Garrison, Daw End, Rushall, Anglesey, Cannock Extension (winding at the boatyard, with 3/4 of an inch space!)

Reverse back to the Fingerpost at 10pm, for a few swift pints (or mohitos depending on taste).

People were (unsurprisingly) unwilling to be up at 3:35am, so compromised and started the engine at 4:45am. Round the rest of the Wyrley to Broad Street to drop off a few crew and collect water for TEA because we'd run out - DISASTER!

Finally onto the Old Main Line, down Brades, and onto the New, passing Smethwick Junction at 2pm. Did the loops for fun, moored up at Gas Street at 3pm. Then went home, cold, wet, but happy.

Edited by Black Ibis

OMG! I've just looked at the time and realised I've been up for 24 hours... well ok except for the two to three hours that I snoozed between locks. Time for bed now, nighty night forumites :D

We are in the black country arms, where are you?

Richard

Did the classic.... Our friends were being picked up so we went back to the boat to get their stuff, sat down and watched the end of the pageant thing in London, and fell asleep!

So 12 hours sleep later and being dry and warm I feel much better. It was soooo wet yesterday.

Edited by john6767

Tawny Owl at the top of the Riders Green flight

We came away from the Black Country Arms with a long waterproof coat that had been left behind. Let us know by PM if it is yourn

Richard

p.s. My cold is no better yet

They can't get round the islands lashed together. Nice surprise to bump into the returning Challengers on my afternoon walk!

Probably - it was just a reference to a previous post I made about boats being lashed together and the resulting mauling I got....

Well we are going the "other way" back to Lapworth, I gave up an enjoyable tank down the New Main Line for a bit of variety.

If was quite a scene at Ocker Hill, there must have been 10 boats including Atlas and Malus moored up there. Perhaps that is a vote for the toilet system of choice of BCN Challengers. I suspect Richard will have something to say about that one though, as they went past us.

Yes indeed! Not only is a pump out the best choice for 24hr cruising with a crew of eight, it is also damn useful when Cobbett's cassette is full and needs to be emptied - into our front pump out :lol:

Richard

Yes indeed! Not only is a pump out the best choice for 24hr cruising with a crew of eight, it is also damn useful when Cobbett's cassette is full and needs to be emptied - into our front pump out :lol:

Richard

and the man flu cold?

Richard

Now that is defiantly tooooooooooo much information.

Now that is defiantly tooooooooooo much information.

Well Jill has newly discovered there are no elsan points between Stourbridge and Walsall via the route she took, except Ocker Hill, which was completely blocked on Sunday morning when she tried to use it.

They turned up at Walsall with their legs crossed. :blink:

However Tawny is only a floating elsan for our VERY closest friends, and guess who'se doing the pumpout when we get to Lapworth. :P

Sue

Well Jill has newly discovered there are no elsan points between Stourbridge and Walsall via the route she took, except Ocker Hill, which was completely blocked on Sunday morning when she tried to use it.

They turned up at Walsall with their legs crossed. :blink:

However Tawny is only a floating elsan for our VERY closest friends, and guess who'se doing the pumpout when we get to Lapworth. :P

Sue

Did you go through Merry Hill? There is one there but easily missed.

Tawny Owl at the top of the Riders Green flight

We came away from the Black Country Arms with a long waterproof coat that had been left behind. Let us know by PM if it is yourn

Richard

p.s. My cold is no better yet

Its ours. Could you be so kind as to look after it until the Lapworth banter?

Apolgies to Firefly and Tawny Owl for running our engine this morning. This was due to a combination of last nights beer, knackered batteries and an electric flush toilet. (Use your imagination!)

No comments about the advantages of cassettes please :banned:

Sorry and all that but needs must etc.

Team Red Wharf, tucked up for the night at Ocker Hill.

You realize you may have contaminated a :banned: SSI site, I hope you have filed a report and taken samples ..... :banned::boat:

Laurence, an important question was raised by another team in the pub on Sunday. As I fell in, am I now an SSSI?

Richard

And the pump out isn't working :banghead::banghead:

It took the card and said it was ready but there was a distinct lack of suck at the business end :angry:

A stern phone call to BW is required tomorrow I think.

It occurs to me that as I bought the card at the old price if I get a refund at the new one I'll have made on the deal. RESULT! :lol: (as I believe they say in certain parts of the country.)

SAM

Red Wharf

Tied up next to Starcross at Old Turn.

Just like to thank all the people who help us during the weekend.

:)

Laurie & Alison

Yes indeed.

More specific thanks to follow.