Connecting a pipe without draining the system

blackrose

Featured Posts

How about a couple of corks to seal the pipes while you work on them? I think you're going to make a mess one way or another

Richard

Mmm, thinking a little more, can you make up a piece of pipeworkwith a tee in it to replace an existing bit of pipe? So, make up a replica of the straight piece you are replacing, then just swap them over?

Mmm, thinking a little more, can you make up a piece of pipeworkwith a tee in it to replace an existing bit of pipe? So, make up a replica of the straight piece you are replacing, then just swap them over?

Thanks, that's not a bad idea. No cutting involved and I could just swap one joint over at a time, so less mess.

I'm surprised Speedfit or Hep haven't come up with a device that cuts a pipe, keeps it sealed and allows you to put in a joint without draining anything.

Edited by blackrose

Unfortunately the pipe in question is full of anti-freeze.

It might no be as serious as you think if the system is sealed.

Water wont run out unless air can get in, if its a sealed system make sure you keep it sealed.

I'm not saying there isn't going to be any leakage but be quick and good luck.

Alex

1322687031[/url]' post='788302']

I can cut a pipe in 2 seconds. Pushing in the insert and connecting the fitting might take me a bit longer.

I thought of putting blanked off ends into the open sides of the equal T while I connect each pipe.

Don't forget to video it & put it on YouTube biggrin.gif

Mark.

I think I would give it a go actually if access was good. Just make sure you have plenty of towels or whatever to collect inevitable leakage. Maybe a wet vac worked by an assistant. What ever a well briefed assistant will be useful. :cheers:

Hi,I guess you are working on a central heating system, I work on heavy plant,some engines hold over 50 gallons of coolant and we change water hoses by connecting a vacuum pump to the system which almost eliminates any spillage when doing the job. If you have access to one of these pumps,the job in hand is possible,but bear in mind it costs nothing but time to drain and refill.

Food for thought,hope this helps.

I think I would give it a go actually if access was good. Just make sure you have plenty of towels or whatever to collect inevitable leakage. Maybe a wet vac worked by an assistant. What ever a well briefed assistant will be useful. :cheers:

Depending upon the gender - I'd prefer a de-briefed assistant

(oo-err missus)

Can plastic pipe be clamped off like say the flexible brake pipe on a vehicle, or would it just crush it or perhaps split it? Just a thought?

No too rigid,although heated with hot water would make it a bit more pliable.

I think the best plan for Blackrose is to take in to a similar awkward corner somewhere a couple of pieces of spare pipe and a tee-piece and inserts and keep on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on practicing the operation until he feels proficient enough and can do the job in a few seconds and then tackle the real thing,he could even make it more realistic by making a U shaped practice piece with 3 bits of pipe,2 elbows and the tee-piece,stand it on end,fill the whole U with water ''measured'' and then do the operation with the Tee-piece,and on completion measure how much waters left in it.He would then know how much he's likely to spill. Thats all providing he keeps his nerve and doesn't start fumbling and dithering.

This could become a new Olympic sport. :closedeyes:

No too rigid,although heated with hot water would make it a bit more pliable.

I think the best plan for Blackrose is to take in to a similar awkward corner somewhere a couple of pieces of spare pipe and a tee-piece and inserts and keep on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on practicing the operation until he feels proficient enough and can do the job in a few seconds and then tackle the real thing,he could even make it more realistic by making a U shaped practice piece with 3 bits of pipe,2 elbows and the tee-piece,stand it on end,fill the whole U with water ''measured'' and then do the operation with the Tee-piece,and on completion measure how much waters left in it.He would then know how much he's likely to spill. Thats all providing he keeps his nerve and doesn't start fumbling and dithering.

This could become a new Olympic sport. :closedeyes:

I've got a short-cut - how about draining it down!!!! Bet you never thought of that ....

Brian :D

I've got a short-cut - how about draining it down!!!! Bet you never thought of that ....

Brian :D

Actually i've done this quite a bit even when the piping runs in a skirting board box to and from radiators.You unclip the pipe if clipped down,manipulate it, them, about to determine how much room there is for your hands and tools to perform the operation in,a bowl and rags underneath,go to the header tank if an open system and block the pipe hole up with a bung to cause a slight vacuum ''if your lucky'' and so slow down the bit of water loss. It can be with everything needed tools ect and placed at hand and in order,be performed in about 30 secs.And mustn't forget the inserts.

I reckon wine corks (or the plastic equivalents) will fit nicely inside 22mm pipe. I think I can do the job without draining the system and without spilling more than can be absorbed by a big towel.

If it all goes wrong I'll just have a few buckets handy and drain the system that way. Nothing to lose trying a shortcut.

Edited by blackrose

I reckon wine corks (or the plastic equivalents) will fit nicely inside 22mm pipe. I think I can do the job without draining the system and without spilling more than can be absorbed by a big towel.

If it all goes wrong I'll just have a few buckets handy and drain the system that way. Nothing to lose trying a shortcut.

Providing you have sufficient room to work it won't be a problem,with corks or end blanking caps,which i keep for such a job.

Try and poke something down into the header tank to block the pipe hole it does help a bit.

in the pipeline industry we call it a hot tap.

to insert a tee piece would only cost about a million dollars for a 48inch steel line in oil service.

let me know if you need contact details.

...................... coat :rolleyes:

seriously, my advice would be to practice and then just do it, with loads of towels. you may actually be disappointed how little water drains out. if the system is not open to atmosphere it tends to contain itself quite well. so close or plug any vents or pipes which are open to air.

A simple solution, if possible, that nobody has mentioned is to lift the pipe above the level of water tank.

I thought so, but I always try to think of alternatives ;)

Of course always look for alternatives. They make special cutters like curved sheers to do it,quite expensive though.But i've found that an ordinary nice and sharp simple copper pipe rotating cutter makes a nice clean job on plastic pipe and makes nice square ends if used gently, although not quite so fast as the proper cutters.