fixing battens to roof

Featured Posts

Hi what is the best thing to use to stick battens to the roof ready for tongue and groove?,i have used some liquidy nails type stuff but has not held too good

If its not directly on the roof but on to the stiffeners then a hilti gun works well

i cut a piece of 2x2 timber just longer than the distance from the floor to roof. then use that as a prop to push the batten into to ark of the roof..then i used tech screws and sudo flex...theres a fare bit of weight supported on these battens and its the last thing you want comin off when youve done the fit out...

Bizzard beat me to it but gripfill is the stuff. You'll probably need to find a builders merchant though.

As an emergency measure I gripfilled some broken back garden fencing to a retaining wall about 18 months ago. Still stuck fast.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG !!!!!!

Don't knock it if it works;)

I've heard of it being done.

David Piper used to allegedly use self-tappers through the steel roof, always struck me as dodgy because there could be a significant airspace between the core of the self-tapper & the pilot hole.

Some at least of the GU fleet with steel cabins had machine screws tapped through the hull sides. At least they would fill the hole better than self-tapers.

Tim

Bizzard beat me to it but gripfill is the stuff. You'll probably need to find a builders merchant though.

As an emergency measure I gripfilled some broken back garden fencing to a retaining wall about 18 months ago. Still stuck fast.

Yes its for the trade,proper stuff, not available from the usual,B&Q type places although Wicks might stock it.

Nobody has mentioned it, so I guess everybody does it, but just in case: saw cuts at intervals along the battens. This will take the flex out of the batten; they won't be so inclined to want to straighten and spring off when the props are taken away.

Edited by Higgs

i get some tommorrow and rescue the existing battens i not tonge and grooved yet, one or two have come loose in the area i have done but looks ok and still in a curved shape, i put one in middle, one at either side and one at either side of the centre one so have 5 altogether, will need to rip off wot i stuck with the other stuff, dont want all the lot coming loose.

Nobody has mentioned it, so I guess everybody does it, but just in case: saw cuts at intervals along the battons. This will take the flex out of the batton; they won't be so inclined to want straighten and spring off when the props are taken away.

Yes for a curved roof,saw cuts halfway through at about an inch apart to take the curve.And of course saw cuts to the roof.

Yes for a curved roof,saw cuts halfway through at about an inch apart to take the curve.And of course saw cuts to the roof.

tried grip fill...solvent and non solvent and thought it was SH*TE..bloody usless....if your using roof battens dont waste ya time cutting half way through..sudo flex and prop it over nite...it ya dont beleve me do as iv said and trying getting the batten off the steel!!! use a large hammer...bizzard im serprised you'd recomend such rubbish as grip fill...

tried grip fill...solvent and non solvent and thought it was SH*TE..bloody usless....if your using roof battens dont waste ya time cutting half way through..sudo flex and prop it over nite...it ya dont beleve me do as iv said and trying getting the batten off the steel!!! use a large hammer...bizzard im serprised you'd recomend such rubbish as grip fill...

As thousands of tradesmen and myself use it and find it extremely powerful.I'd say say that you hadn't either cleaned back to bare metal properly or it was too cold to use it.

As thousands of tradesmen and myself use it and find it extremely powerful.I'd say say that you hadn't either cleaned back to bare metal properly or it was too cold to use it.

i thought the same...so i.....cleaned the angle iron 75mmx100mmx10mm with clucth and brake cleaner...found a decent piece of timber grip filled them together and clamped...the out come was disapointing...i had bought a box of each solvent and non solvent....as far as im aware both box's are still in the under growth were i threw them in temper!!...sudo flex everyday..its the core of a fit out and i didnt want it failing later on when it would be alot of hasstle to sort out....grip fill at £2.12p per stick speaks for its self really..

i thought the same...so i.....cleaned the angle iron 75mmx100mmx10mm with clucth and brake cleaner...found a decent piece of timber grip filled them together and clamped...the out come was disapointing...i had bought a box of each solvent and non solvent....as far as im aware both box's are still in the under growth were i threw them in temper!!...sudo flex everyday..its the core of a fit out and i didnt want it failing later on when it would be alot of hasstle to sort out....grip fill at £2.12p per stick speaks for its self really..

Clamping it too tightly may have been the problem,you need to squeeze it up so there's about an eight of an inch of the stuff still between or indeed just hand pressure is enough.

I used it for some ply to steel and 8 years later when I wanted it off the ply came to pieces before the glue gave way. You have to break the skin when you fix the pieces together and clamp it tight.

I used it for some ply to steel and 8 years later when I wanted it off the ply came to pieces before the glue gave way. You have to break the skin when you fix the pieces together and clamp it tight.

I know its incredibly powerful.I don't know what Station Tug was doing wrong,probably clamping too tight and maybe a little impatience,didn't leave it long enough to gain full strength.

I know its incredibly powerful.I don't know what Station Tug was doing wrong,probably clamping too tight and maybe a little impatience,didn't leave it long enough to gain full strength.

i left it over night....i guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one...i found it to be brittle and not fit for battoning out a narrow boat....