Guinea pig wanted!

Kinver Canopies

Featured Posts

Hi,

Just a quickie, We may soon be looking for another volunteer/guinea pig to have fitted to their boat (no holes drilled as it’s all magnetic) FREE OF CHARGE a prototype of our soon to be manufactured “Exterior soft double glazing”

4 conditions apply.

1. You must be within 5 miles or so of Stourbridge/Kinver.

2. You must be a live on board as we need your feed back with different weather conditions and times of day/night.

3. You must have a steel boat.

4. If it doesn’t work and wastes all of our time then you can’t moan about it! ;)

Any of you out there up for the job then please PM me or reply to this post.

Cheers

Hi,

Just a quickie, We may soon be looking for another volunteer/guinea pig to have fitted to their boat (no holes drilled as it's all magnetic) FREE OF CHARGE a prototype of our soon to be manufactured "Exterior soft double glazing"

4 conditions apply.

2. You must be a live on board as we need your feed back with different weather conditions and times of day/night.

4. If it doesn't work and wastes all of our time then you can't moan about it! ;)

Cheers

I'am already using my own design of double glazing using 6mm polycarbonate sheet, which works

Firesprite

In the Office

It does pose a question as to why proper sealed unit double glazing units are not more common on boats.

Builders seem to go to a lot of trouble insulating the cabin sides and roof and when you have bus windows like we do in the lounge they leave you to the mercy of single glazed units which must lose heat at an alarming rate.

Seen a few boats with uPVC units installed which rarely looks 'right' on a boat - surely it's not impossible to design and manufacture something better looking for a boat...

Edited by MJG

It does pose a question as to why proper sealed unit double glazing units are not more common on boats.

Builders seem to go to a lot of trouble insulating the cabin sides and roof and when you have bus windows like we do in the lounge they leave you to the mercy of single glazed units which must lose heat at an alarming rate.

Seen a few boats with uPVC units installed which rarely looks 'right' on a boat - surely it's not impossible to design and manufacture something better looking for a boat...

I have seen some nice ones that have been fitted to live in vehicles. My mate put two in his truck when he drove down to Africa. Trouble was the price, about 700 quid a pop. I think, with all due respect to the canopy guys that there is a market for good quality double glazed port holes and nb windows.

erm...you can get double glazed boat windows...both Worcester marine and Channel glaze do them, so perhaps it's down to cost when you commission the boat. Of course, you still have metal frames which will still produce condensation on them, but double glazing is available for those that want.

By the way Kinver, we are looking to do a VERY different cratch arrangement for our autumn build next year, at the request of the customer. I would be very interested to see what you have in mind............

erm...you can get double glazed boat windows...both Worcester marine and Channel glaze do them, so perhaps it's down to cost when you commission the boat. Of course, you still have metal frames which will still produce condensation on them, but double glazing is available for those that want.

By the way Kinver, we are looking to do a VERY different cratch arrangement for our autumn build next year, at the request of the customer. I would be very interested to see what you have in mind............

Cheers didn't know that. Can't say I've ever seen them but then again would you necessarily notice if they are designed well.

Cheers didn't know that. Can't say I've ever seen them but then again would you necessarily notice if they are designed well.

Martin,

The builder kitted G&F out with Caldwell's double glazed units throughout. (even the wheelhouse is fully DG!)

They are effective, (though the aluminium frames will attract condensation overnight)

Builder reckoned the complete set cost him £3K (though - unusually - he can be prone to exaggeration)

Hi,

Just a quickie, We may soon be looking for another volunteer/guinea pig to have fitted to their boat (no holes drilled as it's all magnetic) FREE OF CHARGE a prototype of our soon to be manufactured "Exterior soft double glazing"

4 conditions apply.

4. If it doesn't work and wastes all of our time then you can't moan about it! ;)

Cheers

I here was me, thinking that you wanted a pet.

Nick

Edited by Theo

Hi,

4 conditions apply.

Cheers

Any chance of a photo/artist's impression?

Nick

If you want a volunteer, then stoppages allowing I could base myself around your area for a few weeks after 13th January... Liverpool Boat, 6 yrs old, bit tatty but will be at a loose end so amenable to distractions. i'll be looking to do some pottering as well so it'll see some use; again stoppages allowing.

Currently moored in central Brum.

PM if you're interested.

I thought I was back in South America and someone wanted a Guinea Pig for their Sunday lunch. Very tasty!!!!!!

My wife used to be a year 5/6 teacher (10 & 11 year olds). Regularly there were children upset when they learnt about the Aztecs or was it the Incas who bred Guinea Pigs for food.

Steve

To get back on topic, what is there to stop someone removing the glazing and putting it on their own boat?

Thanks Sue

Nothing I assume - as long as you could get units that were an exact match in size for you existing windows.