Lovely recipe book at bargain price.

carlt

Featured Posts

I was perusing the waterway magazines, in the WH Smiths reading rooms, today, when I spotted a rather nice recipe book, called "The National Trust Complete Traditional Recipe Book" by Sarah Edington which is stuffed full of proper British meals.

Reduced from £25 to £7 would be good enough but it is also on a 2 for £10 promotion so I bought (in the absence of anything better) "Jamie does Spain, Italy, Sweden, Morocco, Greece and France" which, whilst having too many pictures of him, does have some very nice sounding recipes and reduced from £26 to £9.99.

They are intended for Swmbo's Santa stocking but I don't know if I can wait that long for the Haddock and Prawn cobbler.

Like Jamies stuff too mind..

Me too but he's as annoying as most TV chefs and I keep my travel and recipe books on separate shelves.

Mind you I clicked on your link, saw those two obnoxious blokes off Masterchef, and suddenly Jamie Oliver seems wonderful.

I love the Hairy Bikers recipes. I think they replaced Two Fat Ladies when one of the ladies unfortunatley died. Mind you they were both so non PC with their drinking and smoking and high fat recipes.

I will stop at Smiths on the way hone to the boat tomorrow. In Guildford tonight for my son's surprise 30th birthday bash

Edited by jelunga

definatly a book to investigate,I'm unlikely to stop eating meat but I do love good vegetarian food

we tried another recipe from it today and it was great. I highly rate it, but i agree with carl, he is hard to watch!

Hugh Fairly Witless' books are great, brilliant recipes, well written and entertaining supplementary stuff.

I find his tv programmes unwatchable.

Sorry, I was under the impression that his name is "Hugh Fearlessly EatsItAll" - obviously I am wrong.

I tried finding your suggested book in Leighton Buzzard Smiths yesterday - but they appear to have nothing more than a couple of calendars, a few boxes of rubbish Christmas cards, and a Daily Fail.

I have checked out MJG's link, and notice an interesting linked Vegetarian One Pot cookery book at a very reasonable price - my problem, being veggie, is that if I buy a cookery book, I can find that at least 50% of it is wasted shelf space - so I'd like to look at the "Complete Traditional Recipe Book" before buying, perhaps a different town will prove more use.

Just bought the afore mentioned "National Trust complete traditional recipe book" from W. H. smiths in Oxford services on M40. Only £7 but disgusted to find it is printed in bloody Hong Kong!

Makes my blood boil not printing in Uk. That's why people like me get made redundant.

To be honest it is a great book full of useful recipes. (and the printing and binding is good too, but I am sure we could have done just as good a job in UK)

Sorry, I was under the impression that his name is "Hugh Fearlessly EatsItAll" - obviously I am wrong.

I tried finding your suggested book in Leighton Buzzard Smiths yesterday - but they appear to have nothing more than a couple of calendars, a few boxes of rubbish Christmas cards, and a Daily Fail.

I have checked out MJG's link, and notice an interesting linked Vegetarian One Pot cookery book at a very reasonable price - my problem, being veggie, is that if I buy a cookery book, I can find that at least 50% of it is wasted shelf space - so I'd like to look at the "Complete Traditional Recipe Book" before buying, perhaps a different town will prove more use.

You want absolutely everything that Yotam Ottolenghi has ever written about food, Catrin, or indeed ever will. If you add anything by Dan Lepard on baking you'll have a complete library.

Although a few recipes contain meat, what I really like about his cooking and writing is how he regards this as only an occasional element of eating life. His recipes work and produce food that enhances the flavours inherent in vegetables, fruit, beans, peas and cereals. The students love the recipes they try and if anyone is going to be super-critical and ultra-fussy it's a fifteen year old.

Edited to add this link

New Vegetarian - The Guardian

Edited by wrigglefingers

You want absolutely everything that Yotam Ottolenghi has ever written about food, Catrin, or indeed ever will. If you add anything by Dan Lepard on baking you'll have a complete library.

Although a few recipes contain meat, what I really like about his cooking and writing is how he regards this as only an occasional element of eating life. His recipes work and produce food that enhances the flavours inherent in vegetables, fruit, beans, peas and cereals. The students love the recipes they try and if anyone is going to be super-critical and ultra-fussy it's a fifteen year old.

Edited to add this link

New Vegetarian - The Guardian

This link looks really good. I was on a course today in London, and (unlike the usual boring fare) the lunchtime meal was excellent, and included sweet potatoes - which I've never tried cooking myself. I notice one of these recipes has sweet potatoes, so I think I'm going to be trying some new stuff soon.

Cheers

Cath

This link looks really good. I was on a course today in London, and (unlike the usual boring fare) the lunchtime meal was excellent, and included sweet potatoes - which I've never tried cooking myself. I notice one of these recipes has sweet potatoes, so I think I'm going to be trying some new stuff soon.

Cheers

Cath

Sweet potatoes...you,ll never want an ordinary spud ever again :) even done as a plain old baked potato with butter, and cook very quickly too

Just bought the afore mentioned "National Trust complete traditional recipe book" from W. H. smiths in Oxford services on M40. Only £7 but disgusted to find it is printed in bloody Hong Kong!

Makes my blood boil not printing in Uk. That's why people like me get made redundant.

To be honest it is a great book full of useful recipes. (and the printing and binding is good too, but I am sure we could have done just as good a job in UK)

But that is why its was so cheap.

I went into Smiths to buy a canal mag, they gave me 30p off and a free copy of The Sun

Sweet potatoes...you,ll never want an ordinary spud ever again :) even done as a plain old baked potato with butter, and cook very quickly too

I love sweet potatoes. I haven't tried baking them yet though. I love the skin on ordinary baked potatoes.....can you eat the skin on sweet potatoes or is it too tough?

Jan

I went into Smiths to buy a canal mag, they gave me 30p off and a free copy of The Sun

I did rather better than you then!

They scanned the Sun, as well as the magazine, so I got the discount, but had the good sense to put the Sun back in the rack without me having to take the thing away.

(And no, they didn't ask - just seemed to guess that is what I would have wanted!).

I did rather better than you then!

They scanned the Sun, as well as the magazine, so I got the discount, but had the good sense to put the Sun back in the rack without me having to take the thing away.

(And no, they didn't ask - just seemed to guess that is what I would have wanted!).

But I can light the fire with mine