Unnecessarily Inconsiderate Behaviour

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Lol, CarlT & theguitardoctor should get a room, looks like a couple of others want to join in to make it a foursome!

fou35.gif

What an incisive contribution to the debate.

GD was incorrect so I corrected him.

If he shared my standpoint I would still have pointed him towards the correct legislation, as I'm sure, for example, Dave Mayall, whose opinion is closer to GD's, would have done.

Spouting irrelevant garbage does not do his cause any good which is why others, who share his views, have joined me in trying to highlight where he has made mistakes.

The fact that he merely piles one inaccuracy on top of another merely makes him look even more of a fool and damages his argument.

Edited by carlt

Ok so you claimed you weren't a genuine CCer which in turn gives rise to misinterpretation due to a lack of information.

I'm a CCer but not a genuine CCer...open ended, no?

Not to most people, I think you and maffi are the only people that have invested the class of "Genuine CCer" me I am just a CCer.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Because I didn't realise that my will to have an opinion has to be officially removed once I join this form. If you are offended by my opinion so what? It's an opinion, it means different things to different people and is taken entirely on what level you base offensiveness/tolerance/difference.

If you don't like my opinion...don't comment, simple as.

I guess you watch a TV programme then complain about its' content...? Guess what, change the channel.

Is that your best response??

I expected better.......

OK shorter sentences it is then....

Continuous cruiser still exists in their T&C's, so it still exists at present. Go to the BW site to check for yourself.

Obstruction in this case is a by product of overstaying, so it doesn't really matter how you pull it apart.

My point is that people moan that she's stuck there for months causing an obstruction then moan when I say the same thing about bridge hoppers.

My point which everybody seems to miss is that BW will find a way to resolve the problems, whether that be legally through law application or law changes or whatever...everybody else thinks otherwise....only time will tell....

Shorter they may be but still wrong.

suggest you read Post #1

"This is making it difficult for single handers to work the lock - even getting to the side beyond it is tough because of its extreme width."

and Post #42

"The fact that this boat has been a continuous resident of this immediate area ever since delivered new is a completely different issue in my view."

by the OP. Yes, the thread has gone off topic but the obstruction is not " a by product of overstaying (sic)"

What an incisive contribution to the debate...

*snip*

Who cares, you two (& now a few others have joined in) gave me the chance to use my favourite smiley. Maybe it wasnt exactly incisive :rolleyes: , just trying to lighten the mood a bit, but it seems you two are having a row about a completely different thread, so how incisive is that?

Report said boat to the relevant authorities, make notes, keep a diary, take photos etc. If you see them, politely point out what they are doing wrong. While ignorance is no excuse, it doesnt neccessarily mean they know, even if they have been there for a while. Once it has been pointed out to them then you know they know. I have been an AC/DC fan since I was a kid, I'm 42 now & only found out last year that they're Australian! Thats over 30 years!!!

The reality is that my ideas have been dissected and twisted by said long standing poster as it seems my opinion should have been removed at the sign in stage....

Apologies for having a different one.

It is nothing to do with opinion.

I have not once said that your opinion is wrong, merely that you have a fundamental lack of understanding of the law, which devalues your opinion.

There are people on this forum that are happy to discuss the finer points of the law and understand what they are arguing about.

There are others who don't try to quote law (and avoid threads where myself and others drone on about it) and are happy to share their opinion on a more emotional level ("Let's live and let live" versus "Don't let the bastards get away with it") which is great and makes for a very entertaining exchange.

You tried, and failed, to quote legislation that you thought would help your argument.

I pointed out the error, expecting a reasoned and intelligent debate, but you spat the dummy and refused to acknowledge your error, compounding it by digging your hole deeper.

If you want a debate about waterways laws then go and read up a bit then come back and try again.

If you want an emotive debate about overstaying and bridgehopping then stop railroading your own argument by quoting incorrect law.

It's probably pointless reporting it to BW given that, in my perception at least, they must be the worst offenders on the system. Example: Atherstone - a long section of immaculate towpath marked "no mooring, BW workboats only" yet I have never seen a single workboat there is yonks, 100 yards round the corner, though, and the last twice I've been there there's been two workboats tied up to the waterpoint by th etop lock. There are dozens of examples I could cite regarding workboats which have been left badly secured in wholly inappropriate places.

AC/DC - all bar drummer Phil Rudd were born in Britain. Brian Johnson (vcl) and Cliff Williams (Bass) are still British citizens but both live in the USA.

I'll get my anorak.

You mean better than calling me a prick...?

Would you have preferred that in exchange...?

Well it would have had more coherence than the other rubbish you have spouted so far in the thread.

It's probably pointless reporting it to BW given that, in my perception at least, they must be the worst offenders on the system.

The patrol officers don't moor the work boats and, when discussing this with a tame whitecap (after I'd refloated a pan, dumped at the end of my mooring for months), all I could get out of her was a shrug.

It would be interesting if everybody started reporting them, though.

Because I didn't realise that my will to have an opinion has to be officially removed once I join this form. If you are offended by my opinion so what? It's an opinion, it means different things to different people and is taken entirely on what level you base offensiveness/tolerance/difference.

If you don't like my opinion...don't comment, simple as.

I guess you watch a TV programme then complain about its' content...? Guess what, change the channel.

Unfortunartely you seem to be unable to differentiate beween opinion and fact. No one will challenge your right to hold an opinion, but where you get the factual basis of that opinion wrong, your perception of the facts will be challenged.

Edited by David Schweizer

BW won't sit by idly and allow abuse of their rules.

That is your opinion but my opinion is that they will not change in the next five months, other than change their name, so I will not worry about it.

ps. another CCer.

EDIT: Title should have course have read "Unnecessarily Inconsiderate Behaviour" - wouldn't it be nice to be able to correct title errors!

Following pictures taken at Apsley a couple of days ago.

The truly massive wide-beam, which has become a fixture in that area, has moved itself up to partially occupy the lower lock landing for the middle Apsley lock.

This is making it difficult for single handers to work the lock - even getting to the side beyond it is tough because of its extreme width.

Meanwhile a narrow boat that took up more or less permanent residence on the very limited supermarket moorings opposite for much of last winter, seems like it is now planning to do the same this winter.

However, (rather unusually), there are only a couple of other boats in this pound, and very adequate space to tie up a large number, without getting in anyone's way.

There are even rings available on some of it, to make legitimate mooring a doddle.

So, should the respective owners be reading this..... How about moving your boats to somewhere that makes life a bit easier for other boaters ?

This thread seems to have gone all over the place so I will return to the OP.

When working ALTON and even now with SANDBACH on a deep draught, as I round a bend approaching a lock, if I see a boat moored on the landing I do not moan, I give a little inward cheer.

No messing about trying to get into the side (because even many so called lock landings are short of depth and certainly not to be used if you are drawing off the pound to fill the lock).

I simply pull alongside the offender, strap on and climb over his boat with my best muddy boots on. When the lock is ready, no struggling from the side to mid channel to get in the lock, I am already in line so even less work.

No problem for me, long may people like ZOE help me in my single handed locking.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

Outside of it should not be moored there, I see no problem with it I would just pick up that bollard in the foreground with the bow rope and she can float around as much as she likes assuming the locks going uphill, if going down hill never go to the side anyway.

This thread seems to have gone all over the place so I will return to the OP.

When working ALTON and even now with SANDBACH on a deep draught, as I round a bend approaching a lock, if I see a boat moored on the landing I do not moan, I give a little inward cheer.

No messing about trying to get into the side (because even many so called lock landings are short of depth and certainly not to be used if you are drawing off the pound to fill the lock).

I simply pull alongside the offender, strap on and climb over his boat with my best muddy boots on. When the lock is ready, no struggling from the side to mid channel to get in the lock, I am already in line so even less work.

No problem for me, long may people like ZOE help me in my single handed locking.

George ex nb Alton retired

Hear Hear!!

Works well when they have the washing out and my JP is being a little smokey.......not to mention the fresh coal on the fire.......

Cheers

Gareth

PS That is one VERY ugly widebeam!

Which brings us to the next point there have been many wide beam "narrow boats" on the waterways in the past and especially the wide beam horse boats around the southern canals they had nice lines to them so why is it now that every single one of them built today is so f@cking ugly.

Outside of it should not be moored there, I see no problem with it I would just pick up that bollard in the foreground with the bow rope and she can float around as much as she likes assuming the locks going uphill, if going down hill never go to the side anyway.

I think if you tie your boat with just the bow rope - when that lock is emptying your going to have a bumpy ride against that wide beam.

Alex

They are ALL PIG UGLY..........

I'm not sure what they can do about it other than make them look like a narrowboat that has been sat on by an elephant though.

Wide beam barges manage to carry it off - but you're right somehow aesthetically wide beam boats based on stretching a narrow boat width ways doesn't seem to work.

Which brings us to the next point there have been many wide beam "narrow boats" on the waterways in the past and especially the wide beam horse boats around the southern canals they had nice lines to them so why is it now that every single one of them built today is so f@cking ugly.

Praps we should have a " whose got the ugliest boat " thread ? Mines a contender but I fear it would be beaten by the sensationaly ugly Liverpool/collingwood whoever they now are abominations so I am not going to enter :lol: