Smoking lots....

Roxy

Featured Posts

jesus! I wandered who's old y fronts had landed on my boat....I did however put my rubber gloves on and remove them into my bin, not the river I didnt want them wrapped around my prop thankyou very much....oh can I recommend a change of underpants from time to time Bizz? lol Its on my list for Santa to bring them to you :lol:

jesus! I wandered who's old y fronts had landed on my boat....I did however put my rubber gloves on and remove them into my bin, not the river I didnt want them wrapped around my prop thankyou very much....oh can I recommend a change of underpants from time to time Bizz? lol Its on my list for Santa to bring them to you :lol:

Oh thank you but don't get em delivered down my chimney,i'd have to wash em again. lol.

Santa wouldnt fit down your chimney, they will be left in a stocking above your stove, please dont light it on xmas eve....

Please place them on the rail provided around my flu,which is used for drying washing.Will leave a large Scotch nearby too and a bowl of rain water for the reindeer.

£1 for a big bag of interestingly shaped ones at Sainsbury's,good for the eyesight and donkeys.Taken raw they might give you hic-ups.

Well I fit all them descriptions, my eyesight is bad and I look worse than a donkey....although if I was to eat them raw my give me wind instead of hic-cups only being honest!!!

• 3 weeks later...

382997_10150906860355109_837270108_21384713_877673564_n.jpg

Snap - you do have the exact same morse control as we have - how long did it take you to figure out you have to lift the little 'toggle' under the knob to move it forwards/backwards.

It flummoxed me for about 15 minutes when we picked our boat up as no boat we had ever used before had this.

REET cant get oil filter to keep the oil in, changed the diapham 3 times now, still pisses out oil what am I Doing wrong?

Hmmmm I've never seen an oil filter with a diaphragm. Are you sure its the oil firlter you are changing? ;)

I imagine you mean the seal. There are two types of filter:

1) A replaceble paper cartridge that fits into an aluminium outer case with a long bolt through the centre.

2) A one-piece filter where you unscrew and chuck away the whole thing and screw the new one on whole.

Which type do you have? The first I'd imagine, they can be a pig to get oil-tight sometimes. I bet the seal is incorrectrly positioned.

Hmmmm I've never seen an oil filter with a diaphragm. Are you sure its the oil firlter you are changing? ;)

I imagine you mean the seal. There are two types of filter:

1) A replaceble paper cartridge that fits into an aluminium outer case with a long bolt through the centre.

2) A one-piece filter where you unscrew and chuck away the whole thing and screw the new one on whole.

Which type do you have? The first I'd imagine, they can be a pig to get oil-tight sometimes. I bet the seal is incorrectrly positioned.

AAh - memories of changing cartridge filters on early mini's - joy!!!!

Roxy - if we are talking cartridge filters the trick I seem to recall was to seat the seal on the mount first retained with a dab or 3 of grease, and then not to over tighten the central bolt that goes up the centre of the cartridge.

It was nearly 35 years ago so my memory could be hazy...

The number of times I refitted the oil filter on the old BMC cars I use to have because they leaked

I seem to recall an early mod for old mini's was a revised oil filter mount that took the new fangled one piece filters...

The number of times I refitted the oil filter on the old BMC cars I use to have because they leaked

Yes she must make sure the old sealing ring is out.Run the new one around into the groove with grease on it to hold it while pushing the bowl up against the spring into the groove and hold it there while screwing the bolt up then gently turn bowl with the bolt to feel that its seated. Tighten bolt. Its all an old knack.

Yes she must make sure the old sealing ring is out.Run the new one around into the groove with grease on it to hold it while pushing the bowl up against the spring into the groove and hold it there while screwing the bolt up then gently turn bowl with the bolt to feel that its seated. Tighten bolt. Its all an old knack.

Also if you are not careful you can get the edge of the canister part on the rim of the seal grove and not on the seal at all.

AAh - memories of changing cartridge filters on early mini's - joy!!!!

Roxy - if we are talking cartridge filters the trick I seem to recall was to seat the seal on the mount first retained with a dab or 3 of grease, and then not to over tighten the central bolt that goes up the centre of the cartridge.

It was nearly 35 years ago so my memory could be hazy...

I seem to recall an early mod for old mini's was a revised oil filter mount that took the new fangled one piece filters...

Like this but make sure you get the right one for your engine. This one fits a mini

Edited by ditchcrawler

A few more thoughts.

My first car was an Austin A40 farina (a car that many of you will never even have seen) and I almost always used the starting handle to fire it up as it was more effective than the starter motor. Being my first car I didn't have the nous to work out why. But then again why is it the motor is often the most difficult ancillary to replace? I had a Porsche 924 and eventually did replace the starter on that but what a job. When the Haynes manual refers to access being "a little awkward" you know what you're in for. But boy did it make a difference. All the time I wasted mucking about with the fuel injection just because replacing the starter was a swine of a job.

My first car was from the same era, a Farina Morris Oxford ex my father. He always used to turn it on the handle in winter. Said it saved the battery.

Real reason is that in those days battery technology was not so good and the cold weather reduced the battery power so it may struggle to start as well as reducing the spark voltage.

I really miss the starting handle on modern cars. Although with most engines being transverse where would they fit the necessary hole?

Also there may be more than one seal in with the filter. It is too easy to use the thinner one that goes into the groove easier and then leaks.

Also there may be more than one seal in with the filter. It is too easy to use the thinner one that goes into the groove easier and then leaks.

Yes Tony there was 3 seals, all leaked!! Ive left my boat in the hands of my neighbour he's going to get the engineer to have a look at it sometime this week...

Thanks again and thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Snap - you do have the exact same morse control as we have - how long did it take you to figure out you have to lift the little 'toggle' under the knob to move it forwards/backwards.

It flummoxed me for about 15 minutes when we picked our boat up as no boat we had ever used before had this.

Only just noticed that toggle didnt know it was there either!! what does it do!???

Oil filter now sorted, took my boat out on Sunday, got halfway down the Soar and OH HECK NO WATER COMING OUT exhaust!! Tied mesen to a disused NB and turned me engine off as there was lots of smoke/steam? coming out....lit oven and had a snack, while thinking about things. Cut end of hose pipe off, took water filter off, blew down it and cleaned it, started engine and it was all good.....she was sucking water again from river. Got back safely to my moorings although she is taking a while to start up now. :wacko:

Only just noticed that toggle didnt know it was there either!! what does it do!???

It allows you to slip the lever from neutral into forward or reverse - you have to lift it to move it past a 'notch'

From what you say it sounds as if yours is not working or not utilised on your boat.

It allows you to slip the lever from neutral into forward or reverse - you have to lift it to move it past a 'notch'

From what you say it sounds as if yours is not working or not utilised on your boat.

I'll try it when I go to my boat this evening MJG, do I use it in gear? or when i pull the silver knob out that enables me to rev my engine in neutral?? Sorry if I sound dumb...

Oil filter now sorted, took my boat out on Sunday, got halfway down the Soar and OH HECK NO WATER COMING OUT exhaust!! Tied mesen to a disused NB and turned me engine off as there was lots of smoke/steam? coming out....lit oven and had a snack, while thinking about things. Cut end of hose pipe off, took water filter off, blew down it and cleaned it, started engine and it was all good.....she was sucking water again from river. Got back safely to my moorings although she is taking a while to start up now. :wacko:

Might be worth fitting an overheat alarm if you dont have one. Ours has saved us cooking the engine in numerous occasions. Raw water cooled engines and plastic bags dont mix :wacko:

I'll try it when I go to my boat this evening MJG, do I use it in gear? or when i pull the silver knob out that enables me to rev my engine in neutral?? Sorry if I sound dumb...

On mine you have to use it whether the silver button is in or out to get the lever to move forward or backwards from the 'straight up' position ie both in 'gear' and to rev the engine in neutral.

That fact though that you were unaware of it's use/existence suggests to me either yours is not the same as mine or it is not working correctly.