Smoking lots....

Roxy

Featured Posts

On mine you have to use it whether the silver button is in or out to get the lever to move forward or backwards from the 'straight up' position ie both in 'gear' and to rev the engine in neutral.

That fact though that you were unaware of it's use/existence suggests to me either yours is not the same as mine or it is not working correctly.

That makes perfect sense now as I have difficulty moving the lever and have to force it....

I'll let you know later, although may be too late to start me engine up this evening. But will get back to you

Thanks MJG

Rachel

The little cup beneath the spherical black knob on the Morse lever is a safety device to stop the engine being knocked into gear when in neutral but drive engaged.

Lift the cup to engage forward or reverse.

The silver button is to take the engine "out of gear", or disengage the drive from the gear box.

When I start CF in the cold I have to put the throttle at about 1/2 "speed" to get the engine to fire. This is when the silver button is in the "pulled out" position so I can adjust the revs the engine without the prop turning.

Hope this make sense?

Edited by Ray T

Might be worth fitting an overheat alarm if you dont have one. Ours has saved us cooking the engine in numerous occasions. Raw water cooled engines and plastic bags dont mix :wacko:

This is a good idea, I used to have indirect raw water cooling on my NB and had to keep a constant watch on the temperature gauge, an alarm could give extra peace of mind.

To clear the water intake, I used to run a hose from the shower outlet and pump water out through the inlet, this got rid of most obstructions but we did have to go swimming a couple of times!

This is a good idea, I used to have indirect raw water cooling on my NB and had to keep a constant watch on the temperature gauge, an alarm could give extra peace of mind.

To clear the water intake, I used to run a hose from the shower outlet and pump water out through the inlet, this got rid of most obstructions but we did have to go swimming a couple of times!

Our intake is on the drive so we can raise it to clear it if needed. The alarm has certainly saved our engine and it is something that we check is working every time we go out in the boat. The engine is a big chunk of the value of our boat (About 15k for a new one, 10k for a second hand one) so it is well worth looking after.

Well after changing oil and filter, she's struggling to start, Ive found the 'cold start' button now which helps her fire up but still takes at least 8-10 turns of the key to get her going. NO SMOKE!! yeeeehhhaaaaaa but Alternator light still glows, even though Ive tightened the belt :blink: Not happy and not confident that she's running ok....luckily Neil and trouty will have a look before we take her night time cruising down to trent lock before the Loughborough Banter :cheers:

Well after changing oil and filter, she's struggling to start, Ive found the 'cold start' button now which helps her fire up but still takes at least 8-10 turns of the key to get her going. NO SMOKE!! yeeeehhhaaaaaa but Alternator light still glows, even though Ive tightened the belt :blink: Not happy and not confident that she's running ok....luckily Neil and trouty will have a look before we take her night time cruising down to trent lock before the Loughborough Banter :cheers:

Is it puffing black smoke from the exhaust whilst trying to start?.The 1500 BMC it not a quick starter when very cold. Try full throttle when starting. You probably need the engine heater plugs ''testing-renewing''When it does start does it missfire for a a bit until all four cylinders chime in,if so this is a sure sign that one or more heater plugs are naff.

Is it puffing black smoke from the exhaust whilst trying to start?.The 1500 BMC it not a quick starter when very cold. Try full throttle when starting. You probably need the engine heater plugs ''testing-renewing''When it does start does it missfire for a a bit until all four cylinders chime in,if so this is a sure sign that one or more heater plugs are naff.

No black smoke our Bizz is that good? Ive just started Adagio up as I need hot water and want to warm the boat through...I'll get intouch with Hairy Neil see if he's got a tester to check the heater plugs as Im not sure if its miss firing....but Im learning which is all good!!!!

She's running sweet as a nut once started, a little blue smoke at first but that was it....

No black smoke our Bizz is that good? Ive just started Adagio up as I need hot water and want to warm the boat through...I'll get intouch with Hairy Neil see if he's got a tester to check the heater plugs as Im not sure if its miss firing....but Im learning which is all good!!!!

She's running sweet as a nut once started, a little blue smoke at first but that was it....

Thats odd,can you see the exhaust outlet from your starting position.There should be little puffs of black smoke whilst operating the starter.Start it on full throttle but be ready to throttle down as soon as it BBUUURRRRSSSSTT'S!!into life.

Thats odd,can you see the exhaust outlet from your starting position.There should be little puffs of black smoke whilst operating the starter.Start it on full throttle but be ready to throttle down as soon as it BBUUURRRRSSSSTT'S!!into life.

No I cant :( Also you know the silver little button underneath the throttle lever? I cant seem to pull it out anymore....this is what enables me to start her out of gear...This morning when I started her I had to like you say put her into full throttle then pull down when she did eventually buuuurrrrrsssssttttt into life else I wouldve ended up in the field lol

No I cant :( Also you know the silver little button underneath the throttle lever? I cant seem to pull it out anymore....this is what enables me to start her out of gear...This morning when I started her I had to like you say put her into full throttle then pull down when she did eventually buuuurrrrrsssssttttt into life else I wouldve ended up in the field lol

You need to oil that button or something and get it to release,too much transmission and prop drag slowing engine cranking speed down,especially now its cold.I think that's all the trouble is. Also when pressing the starter or key-start whatever you have,hang on to it don't keep letting go and trying again in short bursts,because by holding the starter on,all the time its injecting fuel and so gradually raising the compression which is what diesels like.But don't hang on to the starter for longer than about 15secs before giving it a rest for a bit for fear of overheating the starter motor.

You need to get that transmission release button fixed,or you'll be burning out the starter motor. :mellow:

The silver button will only come out when the throttle is in the mid position (neither forwards or backwards). If you can't pull the silver button out, keep pulling on the button, and with your other hand, wiggle the throttle lever backwards and forwards slightly to see if the button will be released.

HTH

The silver button will only come out when the throttle is in the mid position (neither forwards or backwards). If you can't pull the silver button out, keep pulling on the button, and with your other hand, wiggle the throttle lever backwards and forwards slightly to see if the button will be released.

HTH

I was doing that this morning, but it just wouldnt pop out, I think what our Bizz says needs to be done, Hairy Neil orange peel will sort it Im sure when I go back to my boat on the 28th, he's going to test me plugs bless him and I will get him to look at this silver button aswell

Thankyou for advice

Rachel

I was doing that this morning, but it just wouldnt pop out, I think what our Bizz says needs to be done, Hairy Neil orange peel will sort it Im sure when I go back to my boat on the 28th, he's going to test me plugs bless him and I will get him to look at this silver button aswell

Thankyou for advice

Rachel

Yes our Rox,as i said get it fixed,too much load on the engine when starting up. And when fixed you'll be able to set the lever control on say 3/4 to full throttle to start up which is what these engines like as the extra injection of fuel builds compression and so engine will start easily,and safely without the boat taking off. Those pull out knobs have a spring loaded ball bearing behind the panel which drops into two grooves on the shaft behind the knob ''in and out''to hold it in selected position. :mellow:

387463_10150891801645109_837270108_21260384_983055055_n.jpg

I know these engines chuck out alot of smoke on first start, but is this normal? I needed a bloody gas mask, having said that, emptied the drip tray today, was full of leaves, twigs, clothing, maggots, diesel, oil and water.....Im suprised my boat was still floating tbh :unsure:

Fresh water added and oil too engine, next weekend will see if anything more has leaked into drip tray or whatever its called lol

Cleanish BMC 1.5

308642_10150891811085109_837270108_21260527_1000621833_n.jpg

Hi, Not sure if anyone has mentioned this as i haven't read all the replies but have you tried some Fuel Set? I had an engine like that a few days ago. Was chucking out black smoke and I was really embarassed as well as people on the tow-path were complaining. Anyway a double dose of fuel set and 2 hours cleared it all up.