Smoking lots....

Roxy

Featured Posts

Thats a poignant phrase, yes, it should appear to do that. None of this whirr, whirr, whirr, rubbish.

This is what my engine decided to do on Sunday, then nothing.....oOops e daisy flat battery, but thats cos I had my 12v aerial plugged in and lights on the night before. It is now happily charging while Im slaving away at work during the week, so hopefully will be fully charged by the weekend, which is when I will see if anything has leaked out of the engine into the bilges/drip tray.....fingers crossed its all still resonably dry down there.

This is what my engine decided to do on Sunday, then nothing.....oOops e daisy flat battery, but thats cos I had my 12v aerial plugged in and lights on the night before. It is now happily charging while Im slaving away at work during the week, so hopefully will be fully charged by the weekend, which is when I will see if anything has leaked out of the engine into the bilges/drip tray.....fingers crossed its all still resonably dry down there.

Sounds like you could do with a second battery Roxy on a change over switch or Split charge relay to prevent that happening it wouldn't cost much.

Sounds like you could do with a second battery Roxy on a change over switch or Split charge relay to prevent that happening it wouldn't cost much.

Bizzard, this is something I seriously need to look into, I want to be able to leave my moorings (with EHU) for at least a couple of days but still have electric and at least enough to start my engine the next morning. I dont want a generator nor have the funds for one so this is not on my list.

Regards

Rachel

Bizzard, this is something I seriously need to look into, I want to be able to leave my moorings (with EHU) for at least a couple of days but still have electric and at least enough to start my engine the next morning. I dont want a generator nor have the funds for one so this is not on my list.

Regards

Rachel

A change over switch is the easiest option. The switch positions would be something like:-- 1 charge or use engines battery. 2 charge or use cabin battery.3 use or charge both. 4 all off.Easy to wire up,your friend at the marina might be able to do it without blowing up the whole marina. The automatic split charge relay or diode is a little more complicated.

These 12volt dc units can be gluegled at. ''Vehicle Wiring Products''But you would need the space for a second battery?.

Hurry up cos all the electrical expurts will start chipping away at the problem in a minute and you'll get all confused with technicalities,and its really quite simple for the usage which you use. :rolleyes:Sorry boys but i've not got enough Gorillabites left to argue with.

Edited by bizzard

A change over switch is the easiest option. The switch positions would be something like:-- 1 charge or use engines battery. 2 charge or use cabin battery.3 use or charge both. 4 all off.Easy to wire up,your friend at the marina might be able to do it without blowing up the whole marina. The automatic split charge relay or diode is a little more complicated.

These 12volt dc units can be gluegled at. ''Vehicle Wiring Products''But you would need the space for a second battery?.

Hurry up cos all the electrical expurts will start chipping away at the problem in a minute and you'll get all confused with technicalities,and its really quite simple for the usage which you use. :rolleyes:Sorry boys but i've not got enough Gorillabies left to argue with.

I have the space for a second battery, the one I already have looks lost to death in such a big hole! (thankfully not in the hull of my boat :lol: ) But I wouldnt trust my friend to do it, he's no electrician and I would prefer it to be done properly as Im very cautious regarding fire and sinking matters onboard my boat.

I have the space for a second battery, the one I already have looks lost to death in such a big hole! (thankfully not in the hull of my boat :lol: ) But I wouldnt trust my friend to do it, he's no electrician and I would prefer it to be done properly as Im very cautious regarding fire and sinking matters onboard my boat.

If there's space for another battery its a possibility that there might be a change over switch somewhere nearby,but out of use. It would be a biggish thing about 6'' square with a big switch and 1-2-3-4 or so markings on it.

It would be only about an hours work if that with the bits at hand for an auto electrician.All the bits,couple of lengths of heavy type starter cable and sundry terminals can all be got from the above company.

Bizzard.

If there's space for another battery its a possibility that there might be a change over switch somewhere nearby,but out of use. It would be a biggish thing about 6'' square with a big switch and 1-2-3-4 or so markings on it.

It would be only about an hours work if that with the bits at hand for an auto electrician.All the bits,couple of lengths of heavy type starter cable and sundry terminals can all be got from the above company.

Bizzard.

I can honestly say Ive seen no change over switch, my boat was born in 1975, and seems nothing much has been updated since, apart from some 3 way plug holes that have been installed which incidently dont work!!!!! for some reason the main plug to these as to my ''3 way'' so called fridge has been disconnected as to why Im not sure...and not willing to find out without a qualified leccy looking at it all overall.

But your knowledge is most welcomed Bizzard as always

Many thanks

Rachel

I can honestly say Ive seen no change over switch, my boat was born in 1975, and seems nothing much has been updated since, apart from some 3 way plug holes that have been installed which incidently dont work!!!!! for some reason the main plug to these as to my ''3 way'' so called fridge has been disconnected as to why Im not sure...and not willing to find out without a qualified leccy looking at it all overall.

But your knowledge is most welcomed Bizzard as always

Many thanks

Rachel

Oh i'm honored. :blush: Only use that old Electolux fridge on gas it'd kill a battery stone dead without the engine running.Those change over switches have been around about 100 years.I bet it had one once. Anyway it wouldn't cost very much to do.Wiring the sockets assuming they're 12v ones inside might be a different matter,but even those have probably just been disconnected from the fuse box on distribution board. Bizzard the elec Geek.

Oh i'm honored. :blush: Only use that old Electolux fridge on gas it'd kill a battery stone dead without the engine running.Those change over switches have been around about 100 years.I bet it had one once. Anyway it wouldn't cost very much to do.Wiring the sockets assuming they're 12v ones inside might be a different matter,but even those have probably just been disconnected from the fuse box on distribution board. Bizzard the elec Geek.

Apart from my original smoking issue, engine wise may I add :lol::smiley_offtopic: the plug to the fridge that is used for leccy hook up has been removed but the original wiring is still there, why its still not got a plug on end is why im unsure.....mustve been removed for some reason. All the red 3 pin plugs onboard dont work but one white one does to which I have plugged in my extension cable which I run my tv off,(via 12v aerial), heater off and laptop off. The wiring on my boat is seriously crap and in need of looking at. If you know of anyone thats resonably cheap and can do it safely, tell them to get intouch.

Thanks again

Rachel

Apart from my original smoking issue, engine wise may I add :lol::smiley_offtopic: the plug to the fridge that is used for leccy hook up has been removed but the original wiring is still there, why its still not got a plug on end is why im unsure.....mustve been removed for some reason. All the red 3 pin plugs onboard dont work but one white one does to which I have plugged in my extension cable which I run my tv off,(via 12v aerial), heater off and laptop off. The wiring on my boat is seriously crap and in need of looking at. If you know of anyone thats resonably cheap and can do it safely, tell them to get intouch.

Thanks again

Rachel

The white socket is mains then not 12v.

No one i know here would travel up there.I'm Bishops Stortford.

There must be someone in your marina who knows an auto 12v electrician,put a notice in there notice board if they've got one.

The white socket is mains then not 12v.

No one i know here would travel up there.I'm Bishops Stortford.

There must be someone in your marina who knows an auto 12v electrician,put a notice in there notice board if they've got one.

Yes white socket is mains, I thought the red ones were too but they dont work off mains, maybe I'm missing something? not sure what as Ive tried everything to get them to work but this wire missing a plug maybe the answer and am not prepared to shove a plug on end of it without fear of it going up in flames.......hence why i need a leccy to look at the whole wiring system.

I appreciate your far away Bizzard but this website seems to bring up local help......

How young do you think we are? my first car was an Austin Seven Ruby, it was some years before I graduated to an Austin A40 Devon, followed by an A40 Somerset.

David - I apologise for undestimating the demography of the forum, if that's the case, but I am one of those folk who, having gone grey prematurely am constantly accused of looking older than I really am (mostly by my wife, mind). So I may be forgiven for occasionally believing I am the only one who can remember trolleybuses, valve radios, double diamond, tripe, cross ply tyres, brylcreem, Freddie Trueman (as opposed to Freddie Flintoff), and the days when bounty bars had a bit of cardboard in the wrapper which, in my view is when civilisation really started to break down...

Sorry about that.

Austin Seven eh? There's a guy near us has one and drives around daily with a huge German Shepherd dog sat in the passenger seat. Great anti theft device.

So I may be forgiven for occasionally believing I am the only one who can remember trolleybuses, valve radios, double diamond, tripe, cross ply tyres, brylcreem, Freddie Trueman (as opposed to Freddie Flintoff), and the days when bounty bars had a bit of cardboard in the wrapper which, in my view is when civilisation really started to break down...

Anybody, whatever their age, who has been following some posts on the forum over the last day or so, should be more than aware what tripe is!

David - I apologise for undestimating the demography of the forum, if that's the case, but I am one of those folk who, having gone grey prematurely am constantly accused of looking older than I really am (mostly by my wife, mind). So I may be forgiven for occasionally believing I am the only one who can remember trolleybuses, valve radios, double diamond, tripe, cross ply tyres, brylcreem, Freddie Trueman (as opposed to Freddie Flintoff), and the days when bounty bars had a bit of cardboard in the wrapper which, in my view is when civilisation really started to break down...

But do you remember Mangles, Coal delivered in sacks, Gas stret lighting, and Horse drawn Milk Carts.

Anyway lol got a pic of the controls on my boat, you can clearly see the silver button underneath the handle that makes my boat go forward and in reverse I pull this out to enable me to rev the engine without it being in ''gear'' then theres the choke underneath I have to pull out to start the engine then push it in when I need the engine to stop.

When I was at my boat at the weekend the bilges were still watertight, no leaks hurrah! But it took me 5 turns of the key to get it started (could this be coz its gone cold?) even though battery has been on charge all last week. Was late Sunday afternoon when I first started her, and I have now come to the conclusion its not smoke but hot exhaust gases meeting cold air as it cleared after about 3 mins this time! So this weekend Im going to add the antifreeze.

382997_10150906860355109_837270108_21384713_877673564_n.jpg

Anyway lol got a pic of the controls on my boat, you can clearly see the silver button underneath the handle that makes my boat go forward and in reverse I pull this out to enable me to rev the engine without it being in ''gear'' then theres the choke underneath I have to pull out to start the engine then push it in when I need the engine to stop.

When I was at my boat at the weekend the bilges were still watertight, no leaks hurrah! But it took me 5 turns of the key to get it started (could this be coz its gone cold?) even though battery has been on charge all last week. Was late Sunday afternoon when I first started her, and I have now come to the conclusion its not smoke but hot exhaust gases meeting cold air as it cleared after about 3 mins this time! So this weekend Im going to add the antifreeze.

382997_10150906860355109_837270108_21384713_877673564_n.jpg

The ''choke''is probably just a stop knob working opposite to normal. If it has log travel it could have a run position halfway,which would make the full out position a cold starting excess fuel position but i doubt it.

Mix your antifreeze with de-ionized,distilled or rain water rather than tap water.Much better for your cooling system. bizzard.

The ''choke''is probably just a stop knob working opposite to normal. If it has log travel it could have a run position halfway,which would make the full out position a cold starting excess fuel position but i doubt it.

Mix your antifreeze with de-ionized,distilled or rain water rather than tap water.Much better for your cooling system. bizzard.

Bizzard, is that why I see some boats with tubs of 'water' on the outside of there boats? are they collecting rain water or this reason?

Bizzard, is that why I see some boats with tubs of 'water' on the outside of there boats? are they collecting rain water or this reason?

I wouldn't be surprised,i do,good for central heating systems too. I have an air cooled engine,but i filter it through old underpants for my cat to drink and for topping up batteries.