Cotswold canals on iPlayer

keble

Featured Posts

Just watched the clip.

For once the BBC has managed to get a report out that is not biased towards the objectors of canal restoration. The John Peel in the film did himself no favours.

Well done BBC I say.

Martyn

D'ye Ken John Peel?

It was a good piece I thought. There are bound to be objectors and of course these days money is tight but what a gorgeous stretch of canal it will be when complete. Going along the Stroud valley will be sublime. All it will take for me to be completely in Canal heaven is the restoration of the Wilts and Berks too.

Edited by churchward

D'ye Ken John Peel?

It was a good piece I thought. There are bound to be objectors and of course these days money is tight but what a gorgeous stretch of canal it will be when complete. Going along the Stroud valley will be sublime. All it will take for me to be completely in Canal heaven is the restoration of the Wilts and Berks too.

Wholeheartedly agree. But I do fear that the Wilts and Berks will always play second fiddle to the Cotswold.

Martyn

The Cotswold canals are easy compared with the Wilts & Berks :) But I think the intention is to open up the western end first to get a route through to the K&A via Swindon. The eastern end is still somewhat blighted by the indecision surrounding the reservoir near Abingdon. As long as it's all done by the time I retire in 30 years time...! :rolleyes:

On iPlayer now (for 6 more days) here. It starts at 18.10 (and you can see me and SWMBO at 19.00!)

I would like to see the piece but being in France I am barred from doing so by Iplayer media territory rights. I understand that there is a way around this by blocking the BBC iplayer from reading my ip address but I don’t know how to do it.

Is there an IT wizard on the Forum that can advise?

Cheers

Joshua

Wholeheartedly agree. But I do fear that the Wilts and Berks will always play second fiddle to the Cotswold.

Martyn

Probably so but I don't think it necessarily deserves to there is some lovely country the canal is cut through. The link with the K&A will be great. One may have to close the eyes going through Swindon though!

Still, it would be very nice to go along the section by boat from the bottom of Kingshill towards Wroughton. I used to cycle the towpath along there in my youthful days in order to see a nice young lady in Wroughton.

I'm a member but have never visited the canals. Good to see a piece of reasonable length about canal restoration, rather than the more usual 30-second snippet which makes it on to our TV screens. I was also pleased to see one (experienced-looking) crew making a complete horlicks of turning round. I feel slightly better about myself after watching that.

As for local opposition, I see that one of the society's leaders is called Paul Weller, so they were bound to get into a Jam sometime.

As for local opposition, I see that one of the society's leaders is called Paul Weller, so they were bound to get into a Jam sometime.

ouch!

The program (someone asked in an early post) is Inside Out, a local news thing.

Rob

I'm a member but have never visited the canals. Good to see a piece of reasonable length about canal restoration, rather than the more usual 30-second snippet which makes it on to our TV screens. I was also pleased to see one (experienced-looking) crew making a complete horlicks of turning round. I feel slightly better about myself after watching that.

Perhaps if her with the big fat A**E was to move to rear the boat might have turned more easily :cheers:

14Skipper

I would like to see the piece but being in France I am barred from doing so by Iplayer media territory rights. I understand that there is a way around this by blocking the BBC iplayer from reading my ip address but I don’t know how to do it.

Are you typing the iPlayer URL correctly? it should be http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ See if that works for you.

On the theme of obscuring ones IP address, presumably for reasons of personal privacy, one might use a proxy server.

When a visit to a wesite is routed through a proxy server your own IP address is logged as normal by the server hosting the proxy but your destination website, 'fredbloggswidgets.co.uk' say, only gets to see/log the IP address of the proxy server and not yours.

Quite clearly, the audit trail still exists for anybody authorised to look for it in the case of criminal activity but for maintaining a degree of privacy...........

An example proxy server service might be: Proxy Server LinkyThing Simply enter the required URL in the box and click Go.

Plentiful other proxy servers are available but having never had the need to use such a service I am unable to comment on any them. Let caution be the watchword and ensure that any AV software you use is up to date.

Are you typing the iPlayer URL correctly? it should be http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ See if that works for you.

On the theme of obscuring ones IP address, presumably for reasons of personal privacy, one might use a proxy server.

When a visit to a wesite is routed through a proxy server your own IP address is logged as normal by the server hosting the proxy but your destination website, 'fredbloggswidgets.co.uk' say, only gets to see/log the IP address of the proxy server and not yours.

Quite clearly, the audit trail still exists for anybody authorised to look for it in the case of criminal activity but for maintaining a degree of privacy...........

An example proxy server service might be: Proxy Server LinkyThing Simply enter the required URL in the box and click Go.

Plentiful other proxy servers are available but having never had the need to use such a service I am unable to comment on any them. Let caution be the watchword and ensure that any AV software you use is up to date.

Thanks for that, tried it but still no luck, presumably because the site offering access through their IP address is also outside the UK.

Broadcasting media sites like the BBC have international agreements not to allow their content to be seen by users outside the UK, for example I can see most of the BBC web site content but not coverage of things like sporting events as the BBC have agreed not to compete with French and other European internet broadcasters.

If I can hide my IP address so that Iplayer thinks I am accessing from within the UK it will allow me to see otherwise blocked content.

Its no big deal, just a bit stupid as there is really nothing to compete over, denying me access to a short news item about a British canal restoration isn’t going to drive me to look at a French site for news about an alternative French canal instead!

C'est la vie!

Joshua

Er, yes, it was her.

Mind you it is a devil of a turn. I tried last year and gave up; had to reverse a long way!

Don't know what the fuss is about, had no problem is turning round there is August. Was warned by the Cotswold Canals Trust trip boat about the shallows on the left as you approach the bend, and the prop did stir up gravel off the bed as I turned, but there was never an issue getting round.

Thanks for that, tried it but still no luck, presumably because the site offering access through their IP address is also outside the UK.

Broadcasting media sites like the BBC have international agreements not to allow their content to be seen by users outside the UK, for example I can see most of the BBC web site content but not coverage of things like sporting events as the BBC have agreed not to compete with French and other European internet broadcasters.

If I can hide my IP address so that Iplayer thinks I am accessing from within the UK it will allow me to see otherwise blocked content.

Its no big deal, just a bit stupid as there is really nothing to compete over, denying me access to a short news item about a British canal restoration isn’t going to drive me to look at a French site for news about an alternative French canal instead!

C'est la vie!

Joshua

Try http://ukproxy.tv it's a subscription service but my friends in Cyprus swear by it.

Good Luck!

Its no big deal, just a bit stupid as there is really nothing to compete over, denying me access to a short news item about a British canal restoration isn't going to drive me to look at a French site for news about an alternative French canal instead!

C'est la vie!

Joshua

Try googling expat shield. You have to download it and would'nt use it for general browsing because of pop up ads, but it works great with I player, giving live uk tv anywhere in the world.

Try http://ukproxy.tv it's a subscription service but my friends in Cyprus swear by it.

Good Luck!

Try googling expat shield. You have to download it and would'nt use it for general browsing because of pop up ads, but it works great with I player, giving live uk tv anywhere in the world.

Thank you for those links, I will try the free one as I really only want to see that one piece about the Cotswold canal, I can happily live and will probably live more happily without the likes of Big Brother and Eastenders, either way, many thanks.

Joshua

• 2 weeks later...