Rust already?!

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

We got our boat back at the end of August and it had a paint job/bottom blacked in April/May of this year.

However we've found a nice new marina (where the water is very clear) and have noticed under the waterline that there are some really orange rust patches.... is this normal on a boat that has been allegedly "blacked" in only May of this year for rust to be showing through already?!

We got our boat back at the end of August and it had a paint job/bottom blacked in April/May of this year.

However we've found a nice new marina (where the water is very clear) and have noticed under the waterline that there are some really orange rust patches.... is this normal on a boat that has been allegedly "blacked" in only May of this year for rust to be showing through already?!

You didn't leave it in the water by any chance. Just wait until the rust comes through on the roof. I am very cynical about boat painting

Hi

That would be a scrape on any - gate/step/armco/wall/rock/ or about bloody any thing will scrape of the bitumen - Sorryrolleyes.gif

Alex

I'd expect the bitumen for last longer than 6 months. When I do mine I don't usually see any rust for at least 2 - 3 years. If you've been scraping the boat against concrete then the bitumen won't last long but if it's coming off your rudder too then that indicates the hull wasn't properly prepared prior to painting.

hmmm id have presumed so - or is the rudder normally left out of the blacking?

No, the rudder should have been blacked too.

Unfortunately many yards just pressure wash the hull and slap on a couple of coats of blacking. It's not really sufficient - they should also wire brush off any old flakey paint. If the boat's put back in the water too soon after painting (minimum of 24 hours depending on temperature), that can adversely affect it too.

Edited by blackrose

they should also wire brush off any old flakey paint.

Nooo never, wire brushing polishes the surface, blacking will not adhere. Lots of info to support that fact on the web.

ETA a good facility with a suitable high powered pressure washer will not leave any flakey paint to have to deal with.

Edited by international_boatbuilder

Hi International Boatbuilder, no the boat was actually built in 2006 but I think that this was only maybe its second blacking....your response is a bit of a relief - I just really don't want a hole or anything in my boat?!?!?

No danger of a hole - or even significant thinning. Not over such a short time period.

Tony

thats all a bit worrying blackrose.....should i be worried? for example if im not planning on having it reblacked for at least 18 montsh - can there be significant damage occur to the hull?

It's probably not going to be as bad as you think. I had orange patches on my hull for a good 18 months before I managed to get it into a dry dock. When I wire brushed off the rust (with a wire wheel on a mini-angle grinder) there was no pitting at all. These were rust patches on the waterline which is the worst place. If yours are well under the water they shouldn't corrode much. However, alll of this assumes your anodes are working and you have some sort of galvanic isolation if you're on shore power long-term.

But, why don't you get in contact with the yard asap and ask them what's going on? Others on the forum have managed to get their boats re-blacked under warranty when they've reported similar problems. They can only say no.

Edited by blackrose

Nooo never, wire brushing polishes the surface, blacking will not adhere. Lots of info to support that fact on the web.

ETA a good facility with a suitable high powered pressure washer will not leave any flakey paint to have to deal with.

Yes, there's lots of info on the web and some of it is nonsense! I've never had the problems you describe.

I've used plenty of pressure washers in yards that don't take flakey paint off and you have to get it off somehow. Most yards on the canals just don't have very high-powered presure washers.

Anyway, exactly where did I say "take it back to bare metal with the wire wheel"? You're only gently scurfing it - taking off lookse flakey paint and giving it a key - not deliberately taking it back to bare metal. You wouldn't be able to wire brush off all the paint even if you tried.

In addition, I use an underwater primer which will stick to bare metal even if it's been well scurfed. The blacking sticks to the underwater primer.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/International_Antifoul_Primer.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant

Edited by blackrose

Steel rusts. Get used to it or get over it! If it lasted fo ever Why would the Navy with nearly unlimited funds scrap ships?

If a 2006 boat rusts through in your lifetime you will be in the Guiness book of records. Either way it will probably be the least of your problems.

Steel rusts. Get used to it or get over it! If it lasted fo ever Why would the Navy with nearly unlimited funds scrap ships?

If a 2006 boat rusts through in your lifetime you will be in the Guiness book of records. Either way it will probably be the least of your problems.

Harsh! lol

I've used plenty of pressure washers in yards that don't take flakey paint off and you have to get it off somehow. Most yards on the canals just don't have very high-powered presure washers.

Thats exactly why I suggest using a proper facility with the right equipment in my edit!

Anyway, exactly where did I say "take it back to bare metal with the wire wheel"?

Not got a clue, I didn't intimate you had said anything of the sort!

Thats exactly why I suggest using a proper facility with the right equipment in my edit!

Yes, I know, but my point was that there aren't many dry docks with suitably high-powered pressure washers. They aren't generally available. I've used some very good pressure washers but I'd still gently scurf the surface.

Not got a clue, I didn't intimate you had said anything of the sort!

Really? I must have misunderstood. So what did you mean when you said:

international_boatbuilder, on 20 October 2011 - 10:38 PM, said:

Edited by blackrose