Ignorant grass cutters.

Rod a mod from Tod

Featured Posts

Last spring, I think, we were moored in one of favourite spots (near the Pylon South Oxford) The Veg cutters came along. I could hear them coming. Oh no! I thought. Grass up the sides.

Spoke to the chappie and agreed I would float out of harms way whilst they did our bit. No problem. Got it done really well as well.

We moved on the next morning.

Martyn.

There was one guy who reported on his blog that BW contractors strimming had broken a window on his boat. He took it to a boatyard to be repaired, at BW's expense, came back to the mooring, and the same thing happened again a couple of weeks later.

That was my boat on Hunts at Fradley, still talking to BW about it. I did make the suggestion of a quickly installed barrier a bit like the windbreak. I have told them not to mow next to my boat in the future.

Nev

NB Waterlily

Why is it relevant.

Well if the OP had of just got there that day and passed the grass cutters they could have taken precuations yo protect the boat.

If of course the grass cutters had been coming from the other direction obviously they would not have known the grass cutters where working that way

That was my boat on Hunts at Fradley, still talking to BW about it. I did make the suggestion of a quickly installed barrier a bit like the windbreak. I have told them not to mow next to my boat in the future.

Nev

NB Waterlily

Hooray we can blame you when the towpath isn't cut instead of having a go at BW :rolleyes:

Sue

Well if the OP had of just got there that day and passed the grass cutters they could have taken precuations yo protect the boat.

If of course the grass cutters had been coming from the other direction obviously they would not have known the grass cutters where working that way

Um! me head urts! :wacko:

Hooray we can blame you when the towpath isn't cut instead of having a go at BW :rolleyes:

Sue

Hey no thanks are required, consider it my input to BW maintainence, all those extra man/woman hours to fix locks etc

Nev

Again it seems like BW can not win. Over the years I have lost count of the number of times that I have had my boat sprayed with grass cuttings, maybe you need to get out more. It takes a few minutes to get the grass off, personally I prefer to see the grass cut than worry about some boaters that have to remove grass from the side of the boat. Maybe you would prefer all towpaths to be concrete! On popular moorings what are BW supposed to do never cut the grass?

Again it seems like BW can not win. Over the years I have lost count of the number of times that I have had my boat sprayed with grass cuttings, maybe you need to get out more. It takes a few minutes to get the grass off, personally I prefer to see the grass cut than worry about some boaters that have to remove grass from the side of the boat. Maybe you would prefer all towpaths to be concrete! On popular moorings what are BW supposed to do never cut the grass?

Jeez pal if i get out any more i'll never be in. I always love that statement and "get a life" on internet forums. You along with a few other seem to be getting into a bit of a tiz and unable to grasp that fact that i was stating that with minimum effort the cutting can be done with a little more consideration. No i wouldn't like to see concrete towpaths although the quiet, fairly unpopular mooring were i was is concreted with a grass edging.

Saw the "offending" team 3 times last week as we came from out east up to summit through tod.

On Wednesday we passed them while travelling, swmbo leaning out watching towpath side, they stopped strimming as we went past. they were a team of 3, 2 strimmers and a mower. No blower as mentioned in previous posts.

Strimming to send trimmings away from boat would depend on direction of strimmer head and direction of travel past the boat, which of you would walk to the far end of a 72fter work back and then carry on again, you'd walk 3 times further to keep a few clippings off the boat, 3 times the cost too.

Mind you on the topic of waste why do the lads with strimmers leave them running while just walking to the start of the job. as wasteful as leaving engines running in a lock!

Saw the "offending" team 3 times last week as we came from out east up to summit through tod.

On Wednesday we passed them while travelling, swmbo leaning out watching towpath side, they stopped strimming as we went past. they were a team of 3, 2 strimmers and a mower. No blower as mentioned in previous posts.

Strimming to send trimmings away from boat would depend on direction of strimmer head and direction of travel past the boat, which of you would walk to the far end of a 72fter work back and then carry on again, you'd walk 3 times further to keep a few clippings off the boat, 3 times the cost too.

Mind you on the topic of waste why do the lads with strimmers leave them running while just walking to the start of the job. as wasteful as leaving engines running in a lock!

Because you can't guarantee the buggers will start again. The same reason car drivers sit at our local level crossing with engines running.

They do a lot of work inland around here

Also on the River Thames too,as well as the inland Loughs in Ireland.

But as an ex seagoing tugman it was nice to know they were around if you needed them, never had to call them, but was close to it more than once in the Irish Sea in a force 11.