Liveaboards mooring or Cruiser......

Flocal

Featured Posts

Afternoon,

Was just wondering how many permanent liveaboards there are on here and how you get on with the two week stays, 24 hour and 48 hour moorings?

And for the liveaboards with a mooring, what are your views on the so called 'River Gypsy, Canal Squatters' as some people may call the Cruisers?

I am a live aboard boater without a home mooring and cruise the Kennet and Avon canal between Newbury and Devizes. I move quite religously every two weeks and never over stay on limited mooring spaces or water points as many do on this canal.

It seems a small minority could ultimately ruin our lifes tyle for ever by over staying for months complaining to officials they have jobs and children in local schools (Bradford on Avon being a prime example and has been highlighted on national TV). The simple answer IMO is, get a permanent mooring or buy a house like everyone else. It annoys me that people buy the license, knowing the rules, then bend and shout and scream when a official asks them to leave. Its a new age traveller view that doesnt cut it anymore.

Devizes has seen a sudden increase in people making a exodus from Bath and bradford who are trying it on here.

Im sure there are some strong views on this from cruisers and moored liveaboards alike.

:cheers:

I was talking to friend who is CC and he says the weekenders refer to them as " Water Pikeys " although i laughed i thought it was a little out of order :)

Then he called me a tupperware as i have a cruiser !! got me thinking about the different attitudes to different style of boating ...

Edited by jeddy11

The simple answer IMO is, get a permanent mooring or buy a house like everyone else.

Interesting point however what happens when there are no permanent moorings available, there certainly aren’t any in the area I would like to stay on and the marinas are not willing to take liveaboards and I have been actively looking for 18 months now, even the BW moorings are leisure but everyone lives there full time anyway

Why do people thing that everyone can afford a house or indeed wants one, the area I would like to permanent your basic flat is in excess of £150K but having lived in houses/flats/maisonettes for over 30 years and being on my boat for 10 I would not want to go back to a house

What I always wondered and might start a topic about is can there not be a 3rd way between a home mooring and cc’ing, paying a % of the annual mooring fee of an area but granting the rights to have 3 places of destination to be moved within on the 2 week rule, this to me seems to have possibilities,

all imho

I was talking to friend who is CC and he says the weekenders refer to them as " Water Pikeys " although i laughed i thought it was a little out of order :)

Then he called me a tupperware as i have a cruiser !! got me thinking about the different attitudes to different style of boating ...

we call the weekenders the mushroom buffers as thats all they seem to do to their boats in their nice marinas

either that or the SAS, saturdays and sundays:D

I see where you are coming from Fat Boat but i think most of the people who dont want to move, wouldnt take a residential mooring anyhow.

It is a tricky situation really, im not against people who overstay but when they come out with the same old excuses when its pure lazyness it gets tad annoying. There is a pub on a stretch of the Kennetand Avon where people over stay on 24 hour moorings for days and days and never get moved on or hassled. Then there is ppl who overstay on a two week mooring for a day or two and BW are straight on them.

Water pikey, river gypsy, puddle pikey a few of the terms i have earned.

And another thing that annoys me is when people fill the towpath by there boat with crap..batteries, toilet cassettes, wood, barrows, gas bottles ect..its bloody awful. If you done that in a city centre you would get fined for it.

Edited by Flocal

I see where you are coming from Fat Boat but i think most of the people who dont want to move, wouldnt take a residential mooring anyhow.

It is a tricky situation really, im not against people who overstay but when they come out with the same old excuses when its pure lazyness it gets tad annoying. There is a pub on a stretch of the Kennetand Avon where people over stay on 24 hour moorings for days and days and never get moved on or hassled. Then there is ppl who overstay on a two week mooring for a day or two and BW are straight on them.

Water pikey, river gypsy, puddle pikey a few of the terms i have earned.

And another thing that annoys me is when people fill the towpath by there boat with crap..batteries, toilet cassettes, wood, barrows, gas bottles ect..its bloody awful. If you done that in a city centre you would get fined for it.

oh aye I do agree that there are some, and I know a few who just don’t want to move and feel that a licence allows them to moor wherever for however long, and a myriad of people types they are from the local handyman who has no work if he moves too far away to the recently retired solicitor I met (currently fighting the HS2 trainline) who thinks he's licensed, insured and BSC's so he aint going anywhere

but if moorings were available then a lot (well of the cc's I know) would take them and then you are left with the hard core of people who do not want to move and then BW could actually enforce the rules already in place as a permanent mooring has been offered

Many people are good people who do not want to break rules but are stuck between the rock of BW and the hard place of wanting to stay in an area legally for whatever reasons, but are not able to comply due to lack of moorings

I know that there is an issue with online moorings slowing the passage of boats but some quite simple logic could be applied and allow on-line in areas where getting up to "speed", whatever that is, is negated by the fact that you cannot e.g. 2 locks 1 mile apart

BW also seem to work by numbers from what I have seen, 10 boats all overstaying, they ticket everyone as they should and eight will move off, the remaining 2 are the ones who will be rude to BW officials/ignore the tickets and BW seem to look and say "well we got 8 to go, the spaces are now available for other boaters our job here is done" while the remaining 2 are the ones who should have further action taken but none is and this sends a message to the other 8 who now feel aggrieved that they moved, the others didn’t and felt no penalty so why should they move next time

as for rubbish on the canal i can only agree, i consider the waterways as a floating village and all villages have their idiots

These are only my thoughts and observations on what I have seen

Edited by Fat Boat

Afternoon,

Was just wondering how many permanent liveaboards there are on here and how you get on with the two week stays, 24 hour and 48 hour moorings?

And for the liveaboards with a mooring, what are your views on the so called 'River Gypsy, Canal Squatters' as some people may call the Cruisers?

I am a live aboard boater without a home mooring and cruise the Kennet and Avon canal between Newbury and Devizes. I move quite religously every two weeks and never over stay on limited mooring spaces or water points as many do on this canal.

It seems a small minority could ultimately ruin our lifes tyle for ever by over staying for months complaining to officials they have jobs and children in local schools (Bradford on Avon being a prime example and has been highlighted on national TV). The simple answer IMO is, get a permanent mooring or buy a house like everyone else. It annoys me that people buy the license, knowing the rules, then bend and shout and scream when a official asks them to leave. Its a new age traveller view that doesnt cut it anymore.

Devizes has seen a sudden increase in people making a exodus from Bath and bradford who are trying it on here.

Im sure there are some strong views on this from cruisers and moored liveaboards alike.

So let me get this straight?

You've just bought a boat, haven't got a fucking clue, want to live on the busiest part one of the busiest waterways in the country - hire boats, liveaboards, leisure boats, day boats and you come onto a national forum and sound off about a bunch of people who will be or are your neighbours, could have been boating for anything up to twenty years, who in the main are trying to do exactly what you are doing within the law.

Who will probably be the ones who help you out when your boat really is talking on water, will help you through the winter if you're in trouble, who, in the main get on well with each other, other boaters and British Waterways.

Is that right?

You've published the name and picture of your boat on a national forum.

You're not very bright are you?

Btw I would read the Davies judgement, it says that what you are doing is illegal. What's your opinion on that? Got any 'strong views'?

tad unfair that bit dont you think, why the need for personnel comments?

Well what do you think?

The OP has posted a picture on here and said he's worried about water in the bilges. Don't you think it just a little bit possible that one of the people he's casually insulting would have been someone who would have stopped and said "want a hand"

At least I've got some information to go on before insulting him.

That's more than has before making the leap to a judgement which as Judge O'Malley and Brostish Waterways say could equally apply to him.

I call that not very bright.

Well what do you think?

The OP has posted a picture on here and said he's worried about water in the bilges. Don't you think it just a little bit possible that one of the people he's casually insulting would have been someone who would have stopped and said "want a hand"

At least I've got some information to go on before insulting him.

That's more than has before making the leap to a judgement which as Judge O'Malley and Brostish Waterways say could equally apply to him.

I call that not very bright.

but it was the way that you come across in the context of your text that takes it to the level imo of personally insulting, there are many other words that could be used that would not have been able to have been taken personally

if the op has posted a pic of their boat (haven’t seen it, still finding my way around this forum) then I would hope that they are aware of what they are doing, and yes the ruling could equally apply to them but they are talking about ones who make no effort to move at all and there is another discussion about the lengths CC's should go to.

There are many people who share the opinion that moving along the same stretch every 2 weeks is not the same as overstaying and just as many people who disagree but writing “don’t have a fucking clue” and “you’re not very bright are you” is not enabling discussion/debate

but it was the way that you come across in the context of your text that takes it to the level imo of personally insulting, there are many other words that could be used that would not have been able to have been taken personally

if the op has posted a pic of their boat (haven’t seen it, still finding my way around this forum) then I would hope that they are aware of what they are doing, and yes the ruling could equally apply to them but they are talking about ones who make no effort to move at all and there is another discussion about the lengths CC's should go to.

There are many people who share the opinion that moving along the same stretch every 2 weeks is not the same as overstaying and just as many people who disagree but writing “don’t have a fucking clue” and “you’re not very bright are you” is not enabling discussion/debate

Uh huh

and these statements, framed in quasi-tabloid bad English,;

"over staying for months complaining to officials they have jobs and children in local schools"

or this:

"then bend and shout and scream when a official asks them to leave."

They are not personally absusive and insulting?

... to people who are not here to answer the points..

how do you know those you chose to protect without their knowledge or consent want you to and indeed in the manner that you are

but what the op didnt call them was people without a fucking clue or not very bright now did they

oh and 2 wrongs really dont make a right, but 3 lefts do:D and every one has opinions and opinions are like arseholes every one has one and most of the smell to other people

Kindest regards

Thought i would strike a nerve with this post and obviously i have :cheers:

Nothing i said was meant to be personnal or abusive, altho your reply Chris is obviously threatening towards me.

I was having a chat with some people last night at Devizes Wharf ( where i am moored up) about the said points and i thought i would start a topic about it. A couple of the people who i was with, and regard as good friends are exactly the type of people i am talking about. Leaving stuff on towpath ie gas bottles, fires, wood ect and over stay nearly every time they move to another spot.

I wasnt having a go in particular, it was more to get opinions of what other people think, on any canal, not just the Kennet and Avon.

And dont worry about me, i have plenty of river pikeys who are more than aware of my views and would help me out within a breath.

Nothing i said was meant to be personnal or abusive, altho your reply Chris is obviously threatening towards me.

If you think I have threatened you then you should report my post to the moderators.

how do you know those you chose to protect without their knowledge or consent want you to and indeed in the manner that you are

I am not 'protecting' anyone I am expressing my opinion, one that is confirmed by the OP's latest post.

I am slowly losing the will to live.........saying nothing in this topic

After some investigation i can see why :banghead: .

I think even charging £1 a day onto said over stayers licence would soon add up come a year.

Ive seen plenty of " engine broken" signs in windows only to hear the engine purring away that evening for a quick zap in the microwave.

Dont get me wrong, we all bend rules on the towpath, ive had parties with other boaters that have no doubt annoyed other non participating boaters and borrowed wood ect. Im not in the game of 'ever' grassing anyone for anything, it is the general way of a forum to get peoples opinions, wether you like them or not is unfortunately, life.

On a lighter note

That is absolutely preposterous to call your cruiser a tupperware, everyone knows they are called Yoghurt Pots laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

After some investigation i can see why :banghead: .

I think even charging £1 a day onto said over stayers licence would soon add up come a year.

Ive seen plenty of " engine broken" signs in windows only to hear the engine purring away that evening for a quick zap in the microwave.

Dont get me wrong, we all bend rules on the towpath, ive had parties with other boaters that have no doubt annoyed other non participating boaters and borrowed wood ect. Im not in the game of 'ever' grassing anyone for anything, it is the general way of a forum to get peoples opinions, wether you like them or not is unfortunately, life.

Good idea, I'd happily pay £365 a year for a mooring!

Afternoon,

So you are not a continuous cruiser then, just someone bending the rules and complaining about others that are bending the rules but in a different way.