Liveaboards mooring or Cruiser......

Flocal

Featured Posts

Have just cruised to Bath and back to our winter moorings, the first full trip there and back for a couple of years. We have a winter mooring on The K and A but cruise many miles from March to November, throughout the system and have done for the last 7 years. The situation with c/moorers / bridge hoppers is a disgrace. There is what appears to be a C.N.D camp complete with a tent on the 48hr moorings 1/2 a mile above Bradford on Avon. On three occasions we invited hire boats to breast up overnight (G Bedwyn , B on Avon and Bath.)because of lack of mooring (saw the same boats on the 24/48hr moorings going back )It took us 35mins (yep sad enough to time it) to cruise past the boats at All Cannings. We did phone the mooring warden ( yep really, really sad we have the mobil numbers) to enquire about the situation and congratulate them for the fact that most (not all) boats now display a licence and that we have seen a few 'patrol notices ', I feel really sorry for the moorers who pay for their moorings, down that end of the K and A, having to wait behind some of the neighbours for water, maybe for a couple of hours or more on a Saturday . Some of their use of the facilities may be in question ( saw one boat with a china potty in the wet locker). ( Hard hat on now )Bunny

Yes, it is much better than it used to be now they're keeping a lower profile isn't it.

I feel really sorry for the moorers who pay for their moorings, down that end of the K and A, having to wait behind some of the neighbours for water, maybe for a couple of hours or more on a Saturday.

hmmm, since when has a mooring permit bought you priority rights at a water point? I don't recall that in the Terms and Conditions, perhaps you could provide a link.

You wanted to know what people think, ok. Based on this....

You need a mooring. Anything else puts your licence renewal at risk and you could find yourself having to move off BW waters completely and possibly having to choose between boat and job. You know very well that you are not a continuous cruiser, get a mooring, there is no middle ground. Since none of that is news to you I am at a loss to imagine just what you expected us to say.

Ill get a mooring in seven years time when ive paid the boat loan off, until then, definately cant afford the price they charge. Thats the way it is, i knew the risks and have gone with it, boats sell easily enough, if it fails, ill fight till the end then just sell up.

And im not here to make friends, i have enough in 'real' life thanks. I find this board very resourcefull and there are plenty of people on here who dont jump on the band wagon.

I know people who have lived on the canals between 1 year and 20 years, not one of them have a mooring, never have had!

Alot of them seem to be in this bubble that things will never change, more and more people are moving aboard without a mooring, and BW still hand out the licenses to these people knowing they will be CC or there abouts.

Alot is said about Bradford and bath, is it that bad?

Ive never been but have heard at the moment its packed, and trying to move is bloody hard work. With winter coming its going to get worse i would imagine. Good job the weekenders are shut up in ther enice, secure moorings out the way.

Edited by Flocal

Ill get a mooring in seven years time when ive paid the boat loan off, until then, definately cant afford the price they charge. Thats the way it is, i knew the risks and have gone with it, boats sell easily enough, if it fails, ill fight till the end then just sell up.

I know people who have lived on the canals between 1 year and 20 years, not one of them have a mooring, never have had!

Alot of them seem to be in this bubble that things will never change, more and more people are moving aboard without a mooring, and BW still hand out the licenses to these people knowing they will be CC or there abouts.

Alot is said about Bradford and bath, is it that bad?

Ive never been but have heard at the moment its packed, and trying to move is bloody hard work. With winter coming its going to get worse i would imagine. Good job the weekenders are shut up in ther enice, secure moorings out the way.

your attitude is amazing!

the weekenders,as you describe them,are people who are using the waterways in the correct way.

you say that you have a well paid job

so,get a mooring..

or you could live ashore,somewhere like DALE FARM?

If i could afford a mooring i would, i have looked into it, but cant afford it at the moment, as i am paying the boat off first, or a big chunk of it.

If you can find a KnA mooring between Newbury and Devizes for £100 a month for a 47ft boat, then let me know :banghead:

Dale Farm, ohhh how controversial of you.

This is a good debate in my eyes, carry on as it shows peoples views on the non movers as i intended.

Members have complained about the cost of Allen's foi requests. That cost is nothing compared to the costs of enforcement. The money is needed for maintenance but BW are having to pay out to try to control squatters.

Hire boat companies are trying to make a living and holiday makers are having problems finding moorings but some say there are no problems on the k & a! It makes me want to weep.

Sue

Perhaps you can't afford the associated running costs involved with a boat then? Those include a mooring if you intend to keep the boat in one general area. The only other option is a CC license, but it doesn't seem like you want to cruise continuously, but rather stay in one general area.

I also know a lot of people that have lived on the canals for more than 20 years and never had a permanent mooring and they comply with the rules.

When anyone applies for a licence BW assumes that the person, declaring to be a CCer, has read the rules and is willing to comply.

If you can't afford a permanant mooring, but can afford £100 a month, have a winter mooring. That would be still within your budget, cotributes towards B.W repaires ect and shows you want to 'play by the rules'. We are retired but work in the winter to pay for the convenience of having a mooring in the area of our choice and the comfort a hook up. Bunny

If you can't afford a permanant mooring, but can afford £100 a month, have a winter mooring. That would be still within your budget, cotributes towards B.W repaires ect and shows you want to 'play by the rules'. We are retired but work in the winter to pay for the convenience of having a mooring in the area of our choice and the comfort a hook up. Bunny

A very good suggestion, what about it Flocal? - money, mouth, come on.

ps Bunny you haven't answered my question.

I would happily pay for a winter mooring, be a base when it freezes, link me up?

AJLintern>>>>i can afford it, definately, just dont want to pay out for a mooring that i will never use, only know and again.

Altho i have heard people saying that if you have a permanent base, even if you move around or bridge hop locally, BW leave you alone because you are registered as having a mooring!

Dont know how true this is

Just as aside I think you would struggle to find a winter mooring for £100 a month.

Last night I was in the pub (The Junction in Norbury) and started talking to a boater who had just arrived saying he was staying for the winter, until March. Out of interest I asked him how much the winter mooring were this year. His reply was that he was not going to pay winter moorings on the basis that he has a licence and helps the local economy by going to the pub every night. He was here all last winter for 4 months and did not have winter moorings and was never asked to move.

• Greenie 1

Cheapest i can find in my area would be in the region £150 a month for a winter mooring!

Altho it has got me thinking about looking more into moorings, theres just isnt that many about.

I think the new Caen hill marina is residential to a certain extent u just dont get a postal address ect.

Just as aside I think you would struggle to find a winter mooring for £100 a month.

Last night I was in the pub (The Junction in Norbury) and started talking to a boater who had just arrived saying he was staying for the winter, until March. Out of interest I asked him how much the winter mooring were this year. His reply was that he was not going to pay winter moorings on the basis that he has a licence and helps the local economy by going to the pub every night. He was here all last winter for 4 months and did not have winter moorings and was never asked to move.

And did you point out that this is breaking the rules and making life more difficult for CC's and pleasure cruisers who are looking for a mooring?

Just had a quick look at winter moorings in my area, i would be looking in the region of £150 per month, its just too much at the moment!

Its definately something to think about, ultimately, it doesnt matter how anarchist i sound. I will defy it as long as i can but if the stuff hit the fan, i would ultimately seek a mooring.

Im confusing all round, keeps people on ther toes, glad you are up to scratch Carlt.

No, I think you are confused.

You slag off the rule breakers, repeatedly, yet confess to being one yourself.

If not hypocrisy then that only leaves trolling.

The irony is that you seem to have set out to reignite a hackneyed argument between two opposing sides yet all you have achieved is to unite them against your hypocrisy...I believe the childish trollspeak would be "fail!!"

Edited by carlt

Members have complained about the cost of Allen's foi requests. That cost is nothing compared to the costs of enforcement. The money is needed for maintenance but BW are having to pay out to try to control squatters.

Hire boat companies are trying to make a living and holiday makers are having problems finding moorings but some say there are no problems on the k & a! It makes me want to weep.

Sue

Considering the offhand prejudice I've seen you display elsewhere I suppose you think it best to send the police in with tasers. Perhaps burn down their boats and chuck them on the streets too, eh?

Try weeping about the important stuff.

"I don't know why I should be expected to share the canal with these dreadful people. They look funny, don't think like me and their filthy habits and uncouth behaviour might be like their undoubted hair lice - infectious. Plus they're probably poor and everyone knows poor people are lazy and smell."

Fortunately i have a well paid job and a great lifestyle i just cant broden that.

I am confused, you are having a great lifestyle and have a well paid job, but you find £150 for a winter mooring to expensive ? Surely for someone so well heeled and employed as yourself should not be tempted to break the rules to save small change....also I hope your well paid job does not involve writing or spelling. I am sick of live-aboards trying to justify breaking the rules because they feel they can. ps. I am a liveaboard, have a great job and a wonderful lifestyle, I also live in a marina, pay for electricity, council taxes and licence. That is how it is meant to be done.