Liveaboards mooring or Cruiser......

Flocal

Featured Posts

Those who abide by the rules may be forced into a corner reading between the lines but who knows.

As I said I am staying out of this........but as I have been away for a nice weekend I am just slightly tempted to ask how people who abide by the rules are being forced into a corner?

Oh deep joy! Another K & A debate opened up like a can of worms. I'm with Chris - respect your neighbours, stick to the rules for CCing or get a mooring. I can't see any logic behind your arguments which seem to be constantly shifting.

As the late Dennis Thatcher almost said .... 'better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.'

I hesitate to raise the question of bona fide, but I am becoming increasingly suspicious of some folks motives in raising some issues. "Get rid of all these cheats 'cos they're drawing attention to me cheating" is a new slant however.

And, I would suggest, possibly unique.

DNFTT comes to mind .... ?

You have got to love internet forums, very amusing!

Real adult of you all for jumping on the bandwagon and turning this into a Flocal witch hunt against me. I was merely asking a simple question, and the first two pages was a pretty open conversation, then Chris pink poked his ugly nose in and decided to get all arsey.

I would never shout and scream and open a can of worms ( on a internet forum, freedom of speech, look it up) in public like some people do.

I respect most of the rules much more than what alot of boaters do on the canal system. If i was retired, divorced or lucky enough not to have to work i would be off travelling the system as i should. Fortunately i have a well paid job and a great lifestyle i just cant broden that.

The only rule i break is the Continuous cruise part. If i was repremanded for it, i would accept and try to move more. My whole point was to raise the fact that people buy a license and then bend ALL the rules and dont expect to be punished for it, and i was asking IF YOU READY MY ORIGINAL post, what people thought.

Ill have a ton of bullshit to fuel my fire, so far its burning a treat.

Edited by Flocal

You have got to love internet forums, very amusing!

Real adult of you all for jumping on the bandwagon and turning this into a Flocal witch hunt against me. I was merely asking a simple question, and the first two pages was a pretty open conversation, then Chris pink poked his ugly nose in and decided to get all arsey.

I would never shout and scream and open a can of worms ( on a internet forum, freedom of speech, look it up) in public like some people do.

I respect most of the rules much more than what alot of boaters do on the canal system. If i was retired, divorced or lucky enough not to have to work i would be off travelling the system as i should. Fortunately i have a well paid job and a great lifestyle i just cant broden that.

The only rule i break is the Continuous cruise part. If i was repremanded for it, i would accept and try to move more. My whole point was to raise the fact that people buy a license and then bend ALL the rules and dont expect to be punished for it, and i was asking IF YOU READY MY ORIGINAL post, what people thought.

Ill have a ton of bullshit to fuel my fire, so far its burning a treat.

Excellent, so, if opinions on this forum are of no interest to you why bother posting at all? Moreover, your stated position with reference to mooring is in clear breach of BW's accepted terms and conditions. The shades of opinion will vary here from ultra tolerant to complete intolerance but you win yourself no friends by your posts so far. If you are breaking the guidelines as you suggest I would've thought keeping quiet about it would've been in your best interest otherwise your 'great lifestyle' may just come to a complete stop as Mr Davies found out - I seem to recall that he 'tried' to move more often.

I have read your original post and can only conclude that Chris was right, moreover, can I suggest that you re-read your own posts, in the first instance to see whether they make any sense and in the second to see whether your argument is consistently carried through the thread.

Edited by wrigglefingers
  • Greenie 1

Why is it always the touchy ones that start banging on about freedom of speech? Given that they're contributing to a privately owned and funded service like a bulletin board and having been allowed to say whatever they like it's not even about freedom. It's about freedom from criticism.

Pro tip: Don't make statements in public unless you're prepared to be pulled up on them.

You wanted to know what people think, ok. Based on this....

If i was retired, divorced or lucky enough not to have to work i would be off travelling the system as i should. Fortunately i have a well paid job and a great lifestyle i just cant broden that.

You need a mooring. Anything else puts your licence renewal at risk and you could find yourself having to move off BW waters completely and possibly having to choose between boat and job. You know very well that you are not a continuous cruiser, get a mooring, there is no middle ground. Since none of that is news to you I am at a loss to imagine just what you expected us to say.

• Greenie 4

There may be no option but to ride the system as so many people have less money. However, I did hear there is now a new initiative to grant housing benefit to boaters who have residential moorings. That may also mean an attempt to tighten up continuous cruising where it's been bent a bit to save money on housing.

Personally I think if someone simply lacks the money to pay rent, moves the boat about to maintain a low profile, I don't really care. I tried to weight up the advantages to a mooring and they are as follows:

(1) Better security.

(2) Better facilities to work on your boat, access to water and so on.

(3) mains electric hookup.

(4) Assistance on hand should you sink.

Have just cruised to Bath and back to our winter moorings, the first full trip there and back for a couple of years. We have a winter mooring on The K and A but cruise many miles from March to November, throughout the system and have done for the last 7 years. The situation with c/moorers / bridge hoppers is a disgrace. There is what appears to be a C.N.D camp complete with a tent on the 48hr moorings 1/2 a mile above Bradford on Avon. On three occasions we invited hire boats to breast up overnight (G Bedwyn , B on Avon and Bath.)because of lack of mooring (saw the same boats on the 24/48hr moorings going back )It took us 35mins (yep sad enough to time it) to cruise past the boats at All Cannings. We did phone the mooring warden ( yep really, really sad we have the mobil numbers) to enquire about the situation and congratulate them for the fact that most (not all) boats now display a licence and that we have seen a few 'patrol notices ', I feel really sorry for the moorers who pay for their moorings, down that end of the K and A, having to wait behind some of the neighbours for water, maybe for a couple of hours or more on a Saturday . Some of their use of the facilities may be in question ( saw one boat with a china potty in the wet locker). ( Hard hat on now )Bunny

There is what appears to be a C.N.D camp complete with a tent on the 48hr moorings 1/2 a mile above Bradford on Avon.

I recall the time someone started the rumour that Ivor Batchelor had won a contract to carry nuclear waste, along the canal.

That was some years ago, though, so I don't think they are connected.