Liveaboards mooring or Cruiser......

Flocal

Featured Posts

I was a liveaboard CCer for a few years from 1999 - 2001, and have been a liveaboard on a couple of different (expensive) moorings for the past 6 years.

Personally I have no problem with CCers or bridge-hoppers and I'm not even that bothered about overstayers unless they're hogging popular visitor moorings. When I do start to get p*ssed off is when overstayers exhibit other anti-social behaviors.

There's a boat on the other side of the river from me who's been there for the last 4 or 5 months. He literally moves 200 yards, stays for a month and then goes back to the original mooring. Ok, so far no problem. However, yesterday on my way to work I noticed a stool that had been on the roof of his boat is now on the river bank where he was moored before. Perhaps he's just marking out his territory and intends to collect his furniture when he returns to his original mooring, or perhaps he's dumped it - I don't know but now I feel like calling the EA.

My attitude is live and let live, but I think that when someone is obviously breaking mooring regulations they should make an effort to keep an low profile and be on their best behaviour.

Edited by blackrose

Well, well, well, this is a lively forum topic. I am going to take early retirement (60) and buy a nb, liveaboard AND continuous cruise. I will want to see as much of the canal network as I can before I go upstairs (or downstairs). I thought that all boaters were such friendly chaps. You get the pikeys on land, and so I understand from this topic, on water as well. There will always be a group in society that will try and bend, break or use the laws of this country to their own ends. I hope that no-one will call me a pikey for continuous cruising as I might get a little upset.

Please tell me I'm wrong

Daiboy

Well, well, well, this is a lively forum topic. I am going to take early retirement (60) and buy a nb, liveaboard AND continuous cruise. I will want to see as much of the canal network as I can before I go upstairs (or downstairs). I thought that all boaters were such friendly chaps. You get the pikeys on land, and so I understand from this topic, on water as well. There will always be a group in society that will try and bend, break or use the laws of this country to their own ends. I hope that no-one will call me a pikey for continuous cruising as I might get a little upset.

Please tell me I'm wrong

Daiboy

You are wrong.

The point of view put forward by the OP is so rare as to be astonishing when it happens.

• Greenie 2

I was talking to friend who is CC and he says the weekenders refer to them as " Water Pikeys " although i laughed i thought it was a little out of order :)

Then he called me a tupperware as i have a cruiser !! got me thinking about the different attitudes to different style of boating ...

And I have been referred to as a Ditch Crawler for having a steel Narrow Boat.

We all call each other names ether openly or in hushed breaths.

Perhaps he's just marking out his territory and intends to collect his furniture when he returns to his original mooring, or perhaps he's dumped it - I don't know but now I feel like calling the EA.

..or perhaps he's now cursing because he forgot his stool and he hasn't got anything to sit on.

You are wrong.

The point of view put forward by the OP is so rare as to be astonishing when it happens.

I dont think its rare atall and after speaking to many liveaboard on the KnA we are looked upon as "squatters" of the kennet and avon canal and the amount of looks we get from holiday boaters ( half the time i think its jealousy) of disgust angers me.

There are plenty of people who would like to see liveaboards banished to marinas and keep the canals open to holiday boaters and hire firms.

Not my view, its in the press.

As far as me bending me the rules, never said i didnt do the things i have highlighted, i wanted to start a discussion of what people thought.Its pretty obvious its a heated debate, its healthy.

Flocal, on 13 October 2011 - 11:47 AM, said:

Afternoon,

Was just wondering how many permanent liveaboards there are on here and how you get on with the two week stays, 24 hour and 48 hour moorings?

And for the liveaboards with a mooring, what are your views on the so called 'River Gypsy, Canal Squatters' as some people may call the Cruisers?

I am a live aboard boater without a home mooring and cruise the Kennet and Avon canal between Newbury and Devizes. I move quite religously every two weeks and never over stay on limited mooring spaces or water points as many do on this canal.

It seems a small minority could ultimately ruin our lifes tyle for ever by over staying for months complaining to officials they have jobs and children in local schools (Bradford on Avon being a prime example and has been highlighted on national TV). The simple answer IMO is, get a permanent mooring or buy a house like everyone else. It annoys me that people buy the license, knowing the rules, then bend and shout and scream when a official asks them to leave. Its a new age traveller view that doesnt cut it anymore.

Devizes has seen a sudden increase in people making a exodus from Bath and bradford who are trying it on here.

Im sure there are some strong views on this from cruisers and moored liveaboards alike.

So you are not a continuous cruiser then, just someone bending the rules and complaining about others that are bending the rules but in a different way.

What annoys me, is when people Moan about getting told off, when they know the rules. If you overstay and get asked to move........MOVE. Dont cry to the boat next door about anarchy actions and staying on and being defiant, it justs ruffles feathers.

Again i didnt say i was a CC, im a hopper because of work i cant go far. But i dont piss and moan when other boaters pass comment like " back again then" or " isnt it time you got of the pound".

I dont think its rare atall and after speaking to many liveaboard on the KnA we are looked upon as "squatters" of the kennet and avon canal and the amount of looks we get from holiday boaters ( half the time i think its jealousy) of disgust angers me.

There are plenty of people who would like to see liveaboards banished to marinas and keep the canals open to holiday boaters and hire firms.

As far as me bending me the rules, never said i didnt do the things i have highlighted, i wanted to start a discussion of what people thought.Its pretty obvious its a heated debate, its healthy.

Flocal, on 13 October 2011 - 11:47 AM, said:

Afternoon,

Was just wondering how many permanent liveaboards there are on here and how you get on with the two week stays, 24 hour and 48 hour moorings?

And for the liveaboards with a mooring, what are your views on the so called 'River Gypsy, Canal Squatters' as some people may call the Cruisers?

I am a live aboard boater without a home mooring and cruise the Kennet and Avon canal between Newbury and Devizes. I move quite religously every two weeks and never over stay on limited mooring spaces or water points as many do on this canal.

It seems a small minority could ultimately ruin our lifes tyle for ever by over staying for months complaining to officials they have jobs and children in local schools (Bradford on Avon being a prime example and has been highlighted on national TV). The simple answer IMO is, get a permanent mooring or buy a house like everyone else. It annoys me that people buy the license, knowing the rules, then bend and shout and scream when a official asks them to leave. Its a new age traveller view that doesnt cut it anymore.

Devizes has seen a sudden increase in people making a exodus from Bath and bradford who are trying it on here.

Im sure there are some strong views on this from cruisers and moored liveaboards alike.

So you are not a continuous cruiser then, just someone bending the rules and complaining about others that are bending the rules but in a different way.

What annoys me, is when people Moan about getting told off, when they know the rules. If you overstay and get asked to move........MOVE. Dont cry to the boat next door about anarchy actions and staying on and being defiant, it justs ruffles feathers.

Again i didnt say i was a CC, im a hopper because of work i cant go far. But i dont piss and moan when other boaters pass comment like " back again then" or " isnt it time you got of the pound".

well, isn't it??,

you are hopping on a CC licence, and therefore making it more difficult for genuine CC'ers to carry on their lifestyles.

I bought a boat because I love the canals and want to see lots of them, I don't pay a mooring fee as I don't want to stay in the same area.

You got a CC licence because you do, and want to move as litle as possible to suit your job/lifestyle etc.

People like you and Davies(?) will be the end of the CC licence. :angry:

• Greenie 4

Hi Matty,

Perhaps I have got this wrong, but in your last post you mentioned "Davies?"

If I am the Davies you are refering to, I would just like to put the record straight. I am not, or will be not when I have purchased my nb, a hopper.

I will want to cruise all the network (as posted #28)

Sorry if I have got this wrong and please accept my apologies.

Daiboy

Hi Matty,

If I am the Davies you are refering to, I would just like to put the record straight. I am not, or will be not when I have purchased my nb, a hopper.

Daiboy

Think he´s referring to Paul Davies, the bogus CC´r that BW got the judgement against in Court

Edited by Jeanie920

Hi Matty,

Daiboy

absolutely not daiboy,sorry you inferred that, I was referring to another k&a towpath whelk who was taken to court by BW for moving no more than 10 miles around his favourite spot and is now no longer a BW customer.

edited to add, I am not sure how I would know you were called davies, as it isn't on your avatar or nom de plume.....chill man, enjoy,and look forward to what you want to do....it's brill

Edited by matty40s

The press??????? What are you on about?

FIrstly most of the press I have read about the K and A has been pretty balanced giving both sides, secondly if you want to get your world view from the press then it might explain why your view are so askew to the reality I see.

"The amount of looks" - I ask what are you doing to get such 'looks' because I don't see them. As I say such attitudes are rare, most boaters get on just fine with most other boaters.

I have cruised and worked in this part of the system and others for years and I assure you that the view you state above is complete empty crap. Almost all the holiday boaters, whether weekend, hirers or leisure boaters, I meet are friendly and open, curious and interested in the people they meet - they're on holiday, out to have a good time, and how can you tell from such "looks" whether its jealousy or the wart on your forehead?

Of course, on an internet forum, you are most likely to attract posts from people with polarised views but this is not the real world.

Please don't include me in your 'we', I manage my own relationship with all the people within my environment and I can assure you and Mr Dalboy that I get on with them just fine.

Ah so internet forums ar enot the real world?

Pretty balanced? So the boaters meetings in Devizes, Bradford and honeystreet over the summer havent been mainly about the authorities wanting to stop Liveaboards on the K & A completely because of the non movers in Bath and Bradford overstaying for months?

Did i dream that only last month it was recorded that someone has spoken of there desire to 'crush liveaboards' on the Kennet and Avon canal completely and WE ( yes you my friend) are squatters of the canal system?

As for the Davies case, thats exactly what im talking about, he moaned, took it to the television, took it to court and lost, massive fail. If you stand up and get counted they will make a point of 'crushing' you.

My point as ive said before was the people who over stay, then get asked to move, then make a massive thing out of it.

Ah so internet forums ar enot the real world?

Pretty balanced? So the boaters meetings in Devizes, Bradford and honeystreet over the summer havent been mainly about the authorities wanting to stop Liveaboards on the K & A completely because of the non movers in Bath and Bradford overstaying for months?

I thought your point was about 'holiday' boaters? Now you're talking about differences between "the authorities" (they have a name you know) and liveaboards. DIfferent think.

and you really should do something about your comprehension, using general terms like "non-movers" and "overstaying for months" are so general to be meaningless. A recent (authorative) survey estimated 270 liveaboards in that area out of 400 boats with no home mooring. So are you saying that all of these 270 boats are "non-movers" and "overstay for months" ?

Did i dream that only last month it was recorded that someone has spoken of there desire to 'crush liveaboards' on the Kennet and Avon canal completely and WE ( yes you my friend) are squatters of the canal system?

Reference please, I missed this

As for the Davies case, thats exactly what im talking about, he moaned, took it to the television, took it to court and lost, massive fail. If you stand up and get counted they will make a point of 'crushing' you.

My point as ive said before was the people who over stay, then get asked to move, then make a massive thing out of it.

Ummm.. I think this should read;

"My point as ive said before was the people who over stay, then get asked to move, then make a massive thing out of it."

"My point as ive said before was the person who overstayed, then get asked to move, then make a massive thing out of it."

and incidentally, you are making massive assumptions about the background to the Davies case that just ain't so.

I think you will also find that Paul's boat is alive and well, distinctly 'uncrushed' as you so charmingly put it.

I am no squatter, I have moorings for all of my boats, thank you for your concern, if you wish to consider yourself a 'squatter' (and this shows an ignorance of English law) then I feel sorry for you.

I am not sure of your motives here. You say you are one of these people who flout the rules and are prepared to "stand up and get counted".

Why exactly are you stirring this pot of shit with your great big wooden spoon?

• Greenie 3