Forgetting where you're moored?

DeanS

Featured Posts

I've begun suffering from something which may be attributed to CC-ing. I wake up and I cant remember where we're moored. I have to physically look out the window and say..."ah yes....we're under the green tree..."..

is it just me?

I used to be like that all the time when I was travelling. Sometimes I am still like that now and I have been settled for years and in the same house now for over six months.

Or sometimes I'll be half awake and adamant I know where I am and wake up and it's really disconcerting because I was thinking of a place I used to be!

I remember when I was CCing coming back to the boat after work, parking the car, walking down the towpath, coming around the bend and finding that my boat had been stolen! Until I remembered I'd moved it the day before and had to go back to the car and drive a few miles down the road... :wacko:

Edited by blackrose

I've begun suffering from something which may be attributed to CC-ing. I wake up and I cant remember where we're moored. I have to physically look out the window and say..."ah yes....we're under the green tree..."..

is it just me?

When I wake up in the morning I often can't even remember which side the bank is.

Or more particularly, I remember wrongly and feel highly disconcerted when that 7.00am boat passes us on the towpath side. I'm driven to look out of a porthole to re-orient myself and check we really ARE moored to other way around to what I think, and it wasn't a ghost boat.

When I wake up in the morning I often can't even remember which side the bank is.

Same here sometimes

Strangely our dog though instinctively knows which side to go for when he disembarks for his early morning wee, he's never jumped off the wrong side.......yet.

Or more particularly, I remember wrongly and feel highly disconcerted when that 7.00am boat passes us on the towpath side. I'm driven to look out of a porthole to re-orient myself and check we really ARE moored to other way around to what I think, and it wasn't a ghost boat.

Absolutely!

Exactly what I might have said, had you not said it first.

Not just me, then!

Equally disconcerting when walkers or joggers come past early morning, often having a conversation, apparently on what you have in you head to be the non-towpath side!

Same here sometimes

Strangely our dog though instinctively knows which side to go for when he disembarks for his early morning wee, he's never jumped off the wrong side.......yet.

Can you get your dog to teach my cat, she has fallen in several times after moving the boat

Woke up one morning with our back pins come out and the boat had half drifted across the canal. (muddy banks). THAT was dis-orientating looking out the porthole first thing in the morning :) Luckily no boats had come by.

Another time, I opened the cratch and was about to get out onto that nice flat hard grren coloured cement...when I realised it was the canal...the water was so still it looked solid. Close call. I always double check now :)

Edited by DeanS

I often forget which way we're facing. In Abingdon earlier this year, my fiance headed off to take our photo from the bridge. I thought I'd look out of the bedroom window to get in the picture. Grumbling and huffing I found my slippers and dressing gown and got our of bed to lookout of the opposite window, only to find myself looking at a wall. Bah.

066.jpg

Back in bed, I just look like a spooky apparition in the photos :D

I remember a certain night........

I got home from the 'W' place on a glorious Friday evening. I was going out for a potter for the weekend and so decided to move the boat the mile or so up to be outside the pub. Save the stagger later on ;)

Only, I left the pub and walked back to the mooring. The doh! moment when I got back to the empty mooring and remembered that the boat was outside the pub!

So much for saving the walk in the dark :blush:

I've done that on a hire boat, usually after we have turned and are heading back

Edited to correct spelling

Edited by muddywaters

It's much better waking up on your boat and wondering where it is, compared to returning to the cut and wondering where the boat is. But you know you've had a great night if you wake up on someone elses boat and wonder where yours is!:wub:

is it just me?

Don't do what an acquaintance of ours did - after a couple or three hours of cruising, he pulled in to the towpath, and his wife, mindful of the dog's need to relieve itself after such a long time on board, threw open the side hatch and chucked out the dog for a wee, only to realise that the hatch was on the off-side - result, one very confused and very wet dog.

Edited by homer2911

Don't do what an acquaintance of ours did - after a couple or three hours of cruising, he pulled in to the towpath, and his wife, mindful of the dog's need to relieve itself after such a long time on board, threw open the side hatch and chucked out the dog for a wee, only to realise that the hatch was on the off-side - result, one very confused and very wet dog.

That just made me laugh so hard I scared the cat off the sofa!

Edited by Starcoaster

Despite having got it right earlier in the evening, a couple of weeks ago our (rather stupid) dog Telford bounced up the back steps and turned left instead of right, straight into the canal. He hates the water too!

Luckily, especially as he's mainly black and it was very very dark that night, he was wearing a flashing light on his collar so when I came out of the door instead of seeing it flashing away and bouncing up and down on the towpath I saw it swimming around in circles on the other side, so I could jut grab his collar and pull him back on board. He showed his gratitude by shaking himself dry all over me.

Same here sometimes

Obviously, your dog's not a Lab then. Whenever we're on the move, as soon as we moor up I have to remind our Paddy which side the towpath is, hence the name Paddy. :wacko:

Mike

What's that? Both pubs in Thrupp have closed?!

No

They're both open (JB & The Boat). But don't be surprised if you turn up to either of them past 9pm and find them in darkness. If it's quiet, they pull the plug.

The JB shuts at 10 and The Boat now shuts at 11....... and when I say shuts, you're virtually marched out of the door at 11 (last orders 10.30, "can I have your glasses please" at 10.55)