anchor

ratrider

Featured Posts

If your boat was being dragged towards a bridge abutment would you really want to be stood on the counter either?

I'm not sure what Tony means TBH - I could get to the front of our boat and deploy the anchor a hell of a lot quicker moving through the boat rather than rushing along the gunwales or roof and likely toppling in, in the process....

I'm not sure what Tony means TBH - I could get to the front of our boat and deploy the anchor a hell of a lot quicker moving through the boat rather than rushing along the gunwales or roof and likely toppling in, in the process....

Then there's something wrong with your procedures, your deck hardware or too much crap on the roof. The proper and fastest way to get from the back deck to the front deck is across the coach roof.

Edited by Chris Pink

If your boat was being dragged towards a bridge abutment would you really want to be stood on the counter either?

No, I'd want to be running along the roof where I'm aware of what's going on around me and have myself in a position where I can abandon ship if necessary.

Or do you have a letter from an insurer who would explain that's obviously dangerous?

Tony

No, I'd want to be running along the roof where I'm aware of what's going on around me and have myself in a position where I can abandon ship if necessary.

Or do you have a letter from an insurer who would explain that's obviously dangerous?

Tony

Your insurers will want nothing to do with this situation. If your anchor isnt ready to be deployed and it is a requirement of where you are cruising then your insurance will be invalid.

It is up to you to decide where you are going to position yourself on your boat, personally we always ensure that our anchor is ready to deploy before the situation arises that we need it. Better to be prepared and not need it than, to not be prepared and need it.

Putting your own boat and the boats of others around you at risk because you are not prepared or dont want an anchor on the deck isnt really a valid excuse, and if your insurers refuse to pay out you could be landed with a very big bill if you damage someone elses property.

If your anchor isnt ready to be deployed and it is a requirement of where you are cruising then your insurance will be invalid.

If it was me, then I would have an anchor at both ends of the boat.

It wasn't me, it was Martin, who wanted to enter his boat in order to get back out the other end.

Please don't mix up posts.

Tony

As I have only one anchor I have it at the upstream end of my boat.

Which would seem the most logical place for it, because that's where it needs to be. But if you're travelling upstream would it not make more sense for it to be tied to the bow, but positioned close to you?

Tony

Could always have the anchor hanging over the bow with a rope back to the stern which pulls out a pin or latch, thus dropping the anchor.

Ok in theory, until the pin falls out!

This happened to an acquaintance of mine who had just this arrangement, he was surprised when it fell off without him noticing and the boat suddenly threw itself round in a tight turn!

Which would seem the most logical place for it, because that's where it needs to be. But if you're travelling upstream would it not make more sense for it to be tied to the bow, but positioned close to you?

Tony

I was wondering whether Phylis had a remote let-go button. That would be the way. But yes, if it's next to you it's in the quickest place.

Which does rather bring on the subject of anchor rope length and if it's chain then you don't really want that dragging down from the roof.

I think the "top planks in a hurry" record for the 70 foot dash must be fairly fast. Race?

Then there's something wrong with your procedures, your deck hardware or too much crap on the roof. The proper and fastest way to get from the back deck to the front deck is across the coach roof.

I disagree, nowt on the roof, nowt wrong with my procedure, you go your way Chris, I'll go mine..

Tony

That would be logical.

My method :

Anchor rode is attached to the bow. Rode runs back along the roof (nothing on the roof to interfere with deployment)and into a plastic tote box on the floor at the stern. The excess rode is stowed in the box with the chain length on top, followed by the anchor on top of that.

In an emergency just throw / lower the anchor over the side. As the anchor bites (it will swing the boat around if necessary) - the correct end (the pointy end) will point into the flow.

From my lumpy water days anchor rope recommendations are a minimum of 3 times water depth PLUS the chain length (another 20 feet or so). So - even a full length NB should be able to get the anchor somewhere near the stern

I was wondering whether Phylis had a remote let-go button. That would be the way. But yes, if it's next to you it's in the quickest place.

Which does rather bring on the subject of anchor rope length and if it's chain then you don't really want that dragging down from the roof.

I think the "top planks in a hurry" record for the 70 foot dash must be fairly fast. Race?

We are fortunate enough to have two sets of anchor winch controls. One set on the dashboard (which we rarely use as it is difficult to see the anchor from the helm) and one set on the bow. But in an emergency if the winch fails then we have a manual override which would involve one of us crossing the bow to manually release the anchor and chain.

On the subject of rope/chain length we have 40m of chain, no rope (other than the strap at the end tying the chain to the boat). General rule of thumb is 4 times water depth if all chain or 10 times water depth if all rope, somehwere in the middle for chain and rope to get a good hold. Of course this relies on your anchor being suitable for the bed it will be holding. We have a Delta anchor which seems to hold well in most bottom conditions. It has successfully held us in sand, mud and rock beds.

In theory, yes.

In practice, would I wish to go that way if I am in a situation where the boat is not under command? I think through the cabin would be best.

• Greenie 1

In theory, yes.

In practice, would I wish to go that way if I am in a situation where the boat is not under command? I think through the cabin would be best.

While you are below the boat is not under control or command and you are not able to assess any changing situation or give instructions or receive help (if available). In an emergency any one of these could be vital.

Martin, or your good self, are perfectly at liberty to go through your cabins as emergency access to the front deck but it is not the proper procedure.

While you are below the boat is not under control or command and you are not able to assess any changing situation or give instructions or receive help (if available). In an emergency any one of these could be vital.

Martin, or your good self, are perfectly at liberty to go through your cabins as emergency access to the front deck but it is not the proper procedure.

Ah, another proper procedure that we should adhere to.

I assume that Phylis has an authoritative letter that you've seen on this subject too.

Ah, another proper procedure that we should adhere to.

I assume that Phylis has an authoritative letter that you've seen on this subject too.

Hey Dave, that's so funny, we at Pink Acres are just splitting our sides with laughter at your razor sharp wit.

Your mastery of swift repartee is second to none.

Hey Dave, that's so funny, we at Pink Acres are just splitting our sides with laughter at your razor sharp wit.

Your mastery of swift repartee is second to none.

Thank you?

I suppose that in a matter of months we will be shown a letterhead.

Perhaps I should run a book on who Phylis will be taking advice from;

Current front runners are;

Readers Digest

Franklin Mint

Timoth Spall

Well going through the cabin is a lot quicker the climbing on and off the roof and safer too..!!

When we need our anchor it always sits on the roof beside the steerer. Where it's tied to the boat depends on whether we're going upstream or downstream. That way if a problem arises the anchor can be deployed immediately without anyone running through the boat, over the roof or along the gunnels.

That's what we, as fairly novice boaters decided - are we wrong or is it really that simple?

No, you are absolutely right, in my opinion.

If my boat is in danger of sinking, or going over a weir, then inside would be the last place I'd want to be.

As I am in charge of my boat I would want to be in control of both steering and anchor deployment.

My anchor was always ready for the steerer to deploy, that is on the cabin roof just in front of the rear hatch (mine sat on a car mat but I'm sure there are fancier, more expensive, methods of protecting your paintwork available).

Tied on forward or aft, depending on whether you are travelling up or downstream.

Suggest it for the next Branston Rally :lol:

Best not...

Some people would find themselves in a right pickle.

Presumably this requires the rope to be laid along the roof if attached to the bow?? - how do you decide where to lay it - either side or centre??

Is there then not a risk of said rope fouling wrapping around a mushroom vent or some other object if you don't correctly judge which way the (powerless) boat is going to swing in the wind or current, where if deploying from the bow or stern directly from where it is fastened avoids this... :unsure:

Presumably this requires the rope to be laid along the roof if attached to the bow?? - how do you decide where to lay it - either side or centre??

I'm not sure how I decided but I have always placed it on the left (port) side.

The risk of the rope fouling is, in my opinion, less than the risk of me being trapped in a steel tube, rapidly filling with water, as I try to sprint to the front, through the cabin, to reach the anchor.

If the situation demands the emergency deployment of an anchor then abandoning ship is pretty much the next option...Something that is easier to do when you are safely on the outside of the boat.

The risk of the rope fouling is, in my opinion, less than the risk of me being trapped in a steel tube, rapidly filling with water, as I try to sprint to the front, through the cabin, to reach the anchor.

I think that if my steel tube was rapidly filling with water, the last thing I would think about would be the anchor --- the boat itself would soon be doing a decent job.

We seem to be getting into the realms of fantasy here --- people who come onto the forum before they try boating must think that they about to try an extreme sport.

The number of times an anchor is deployed in anger on the inland waterways must be very small & the number of 'African Queen' type incidents virtually non existant.

There has to be a happy medium between the foolhardy & the preparation for the million to one chance.