Wooden boat Umbriel

Ros P

Featured Posts

I think this line may be slightly off the mark, I don't know about the rest.

Edit for spilling

Really?

Phillips conducted a one man campaign, in the waterways media and by bombarding BW, against me and my boats in a lay-by, safely away from moving boats and yet we have heard not a peep from him, over Umbriel, sunk for 2 years, in the main channel.

BW react to scum like Phillips, and their complaints, rather than what's best for the waterways.

It isn't what is best for the system, that is important, but what makes them look best.

Really?

Phillips conducted a one man campaign, in the waterways media and by bombarding BW, against me and my boats in a lay-by, safely away from moving boats and yet we have heard not a peep from him, over Umbriel, sunk for 2 years, in the main channel.

BW react to scum like Phillips, and their complaints, rather than what's best for the waterways.

It isn't what is best for the system, that is important, but what makes them look best.

I don't doubt that for one minute but I know he is not BWs best friend.

Hi carl

so is there any news on umbriel? has his other 2 boats sunk aswell yet?

I think it's still there but I haven't had a chance to get up there.

His other boats are a fair bit more stable than Umbriel.

Is Umbriel still his? I was under the impression that he'd given up on it, when he got another motor.

I bumped into Mick, a few months ago, who said he could get space on his Dad's land, for Umbriel, if it could be raised, but he wasn't interested in owning it again.

I told him I'd help out, if there was a plan, but heard nothing since.

I've been out of the loop for over a year now as me and wife moved back from london to northampton.

And with all the normal jobs doing up house and starting the model making buisiness back up

i havent had the time to go and find out whats going on.

Now im back in town if people get together to raise her i will make sure i am free to come and help and with the skills ive gather over the last few years id be more than willing to help with the restoration of her.

(silly Question now)

If she couldnt raised or lifted in one piece due to her breaking up would it be possible to take her apart plank by plank and then transport her to dryland?

If she couldnt raised or lifted in one piece due to her breaking up would it be possible to take her apart plank by plank and then transport her to dryland?

Dismantling Usk was a difficult enough task, on dry land. I can't see how it could be done gently, in the water so far from services.

When we raised Lucy removing all the mud was as hard as plugging the holes, as she'd been sunk for so long.

Dismantling Usk was a difficult enough task, on dry land. I can't see how it could be done gently, in the water so far from services.

When we raised Lucy removing all the mud was as hard as plugging the holes, as she'd been sunk for so long.

It would almost need a scaffold being knocked into the bottom of the cut around her and lining with timber and plastic sheeting and then the water being pumper out around her if that would even work then depending on how bad the holes in her were they could be plugged and the mud cleared out so she could be floated and then moved. but even if that would work i suppose its down to costs and man power.

It would almost need a scaffold being knocked into the bottom of the cut around her and lining with timber and plastic sheeting and then the water being pumper out around her if that would even work then depending on how bad the holes in her were they could be plugged and the mud cleared out so she could be floated and then moved. but even if that would work i suppose its down to costs and man power.

The holes aren't that bad, apart from the back end, which doesn't exist.

If enough pumps could be got to get her clear of the canal bed then I would get a tarp under her, that ran her whole length, like Pete did with Lucy.

It's not so much the task, though, but what to do after she's floating again.

If there's no plan, or nobody willing to do the work and spend the money, there's no point floating her.

Pete has now lifted a second boat out of the water and it is on the hardstanding near the road to the rear of Lucy. I am not sure, but could it be Clent, certainly a wooden motor that he has already done a lot of work on the cabin. This may be the one Starcoaster is thinking of.

Raising Umbriel would be good. She was a strong boat when I had her and very straight, the keelson is wide so that helps. Being realistic its what happes next, you need a crane and hardstanding and someone with VERY deep pockets to sort the hull. Whether you want to restore her as "Ymbriel" or "King George V" you will need a kings ransom on hand. Maybe, sadly it is time to forget her and just rescue the parts when BW/CART breaks her up. Luckily there are a number of small Rickmansworth motors preserved in good order already. Maybe someone will build a replica one day using the bits like Saturn or Raymond.

Btw does anyone know where "Neptune" is??

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Pete has now lifted a second boat out of the water and it is on the hardstanding near the road to the rear of Lucy. I am not sure, but could it be Clent, certainly a wooden motor that he has already done a lot of work on the cabin. This may be the one Starcoaster is thinking of.

Taken by me at the top of Caen hill flight two or three years ago

10-11-08_0906.jpg

10-11-08_0905.jpg

Edited by soldthehouse

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to say but I found out today that Umbriel was removed and broken up on the 17th Feb by a firm called 'Tuckys' if that means anything to anyone, at BW's request.

I don't know for sure what happened to any of the parts, but as I understand it they destroyed it pretty good in order to dispose of it and I don't think anyone involved made any attempts to salvage any parts- But I wasn't there so may be wrong.

Sorry to say but I found out today that Umbriel was removed and broken up on the 17th Feb by a firm called 'Tuckys' if that means anything to anyone, at BW's request.

Sad, but not, I guess, unexpected in the circumstances.

"Tuckeys" are one of the principal firms involved in moving boats by road transport, but unless there is something I don't know about them, probably not the obvious choice to break up a sunken boat in water. Perhaps someone will know if there is another "Tuckys", or whether they do side lines in other business ?