Is your car insured????

Humphrey

Featured Posts

For that to apply the car to be driven on third party has to be owned and insured by someone else.

It's also worth noting that a lot of companies no longer allow it.

It used to be a common feature of a comprehensive policy, it's less so now.

I think a lot of people now are carried away with these Compare web sites

Possibly but my recent renewal quote was almost three times the previous year's so I went on the comparison site and got it down to less than before but, stranger still, the cheapest quote was my insurer.

I rang them and told them that their renewal quotes were a scam, designed to fool those who don't read their mail properly, and I'll be going to the second cheapest, on the list.

I managed to squeeze another £20 off the quote.

Possibly but my recent renewal quote was almost three times the previous year's so I went on the comparison site and got it down to less than before but, stranger still, the cheapest quote was my insurer.

I rang them and told them that their renewal quotes were a scam, designed to fool those who don't read their mail properly, and I'll be going to the second cheapest, on the list.

I managed to squeeze another £20 off the quote.

The other "scam" that seems to be used quite often these days is where the current insurer will automatically renew your policy every year unless you "opt out at least 14 days before the policy expires". If you leave it later than 14 days then they charge you an "admin" fee of £30 or so. This has been the case on my last two policies and something to look out for!

In reply to your comments, it is obvious that some of the replies are missing the point. We, in good faith, told the insurers that we were now living on a marina and they said they were not going to insure us because of this and gave us 7 days notice. The point we are trying to make is that others should check their policies do not state that you must live in a house/flat. We have now found another company and given them the marina address and no problem, so goodbye to M&S.

Does this mean that whenever you next take out any form of insurance, and they ask if you have ever had insurance refused or cancelled, you will have to say "yes", with all that implies for the premimum you might pay?

David

Does this mean that whenever you next take out any form of insurance, and they ask if you have ever had insurance refused or cancelled, you will have to say "yes", with all that implies for the premimum you might pay?

David

Yes. Because it will be on the database. They won't flag it up when you renew, they'll be happy to take your money, but when you try to claim...

Tony

Another insurance tale - my 84 dad is now experiencing huge problems getting insured even though his last accident was in 1948 when he hit a camel in Palestine when doing his national service !

Try comparethemarket.com. Yes, I know what's been said about comparison sites in a previous post but thanks to them I've reduced my insurace, my wife's insurance, my (85 year old) father-in-law's insurance, and my (82 year old) mother's insurance.

Intruigingly, my mother's with Saga, my father-in-law's with Axa, my wife's with MoreThan, and I'm with Admiral. Go figure.

Tony

Another insurance tale - my 84 dad is now experiencing huge problems getting insured even though his last accident was in 1948 when he hit a camel in Palestine when doing his national service !

Hi

This may or may not be of help but I hope it is of use to you. when my dad was about 84/5 he too had trouble with car insurance and as he owned a ford he just asked if they did insure cars and they said yes and insured him and it was a good price, he stayed with them until his death last month at nearly 91 without further problem. I might add that this was not a posh new ford he kept buying from a dealer new it was at the time an olsd fiesta and latterly a 2006 ka.

For that to apply the car to be driven on third party has to be owned and insured by someone else.

Has to be owned but doesn't need to be insured

I checked this with my insurance co when buying a car for my daughter, as it was her car I could drive it to deliver it to her on my insurance 3rd party...............

Has to be owned but doesn't need to be insured

I checked this with my insurance co when buying a car for my daughter, as it was her car I could drive it to deliver it to her on my insurance 3rd party...............

I'm probably out of date on this, it always used to be the case that the policy holder was allowed to drive any insured car not belonging to them or on hire.

It's all a bit academic now if each car has to be insured or SORNED.

Just to add to this discussion - it MAY still be worth insuring a car or any vehicle that is SORN'd.

Plenty of things can happen to a vehicle, such as fire, theft. vandalism whilst it is off the road and not being used.

Any car that is taxed and MOT'd has to be insured and it's no good saying I'm fully comp on another car and I'm driving this one thirdparty on that insurance.

It's the taxed part that's important. There's currently no harm in having a taxed and insured vehicle laid up with an expired MOT. YET...

I'm probably out of date on this, it always used to be the case that the policy holder was allowed to drive any insured car not belonging to them or on hire.

Not academic because many people have 'named driver(s) only' insurance.

Tim

I thought it was that with fully comp, you could drive any car with the owners permission and have 3rd party cover.

Steve

I thought it was that with fully comp, you could drive any car with the owners permission and have 3rd party cover.

Steve

Check the wording in your policy, it's not automatic, some companies exclude it.

Mine excludes it specifically for collecting a car which has been impounded, or something odd along those lines.

Tim

They all have that clause, even motor traders cover, the idea being there's no way of getting a car returned from the compound without first getting insurance on it (notwithstanding the registered keeper/insured collecting it in person where it's been removed from an uninsured third party).

I haven't read most of this; it's too late, however I will say this... No insurance is an offence of absolute liaility; there's no question of "fault". No insurance, then a convictale offence.

The onus is on making sure, otherwise you're nicked: End of!

Snip:

DO NOT give insurance companies 'wriggle room' - they will use it if they can.

I concur. I would not withhold anything from an insurance company.

Steve

Quite often (but not always) that is the case. The vehcle you drive under these circumstances must be "so insured." That is how they used to word it; in other words the vehicle you borrow must have insurance to begin with.