Engine Nightmares

kienik

Featured Posts

Afternoon All

well the time has finally arrived for me to start to have some engine problems (it has previously never missed a beat) below is a list of things that have gone worng over the last couple of weeks and the action taken to rectify the problem, the final point is the one that i have no idea on how to sort out, so here goes.........

1, charging light came on to indicate alternator wasnt working - unbolted and found broken connector - job fixed

2, engine mount SNAPPED, not the rubber part but the L shaped bracket that is bolted to the engine then to the top of the rubber mount - removed, welded up, replaced - job fixed

3, water coming out of the tell tale hole on the water pump - removed pump sent to refurbisher - replaced - job fixed

4, this is the one i cant fathom out, i have a Thorneycroft 2 clylinder diesel engine (it is a type 33 also known as a mitsubishi l2?), i have noticed that when the engine is under load (moving down the canal) it doesnt run as smooth as it used to, the only way i can describe is like it is hunting/surging....... the noise basically goes du du du du du du du du DU DU DU DU DU du du du du du DU DU DU DU DU du du du du

the speed of the boat doesnt seem to be affected but the smoothness of the engines noise/heart beat seems to go up and down, at tickover it seems absolutely fine

any ideas as where to check first?

thanks

Nik

Possibly a fuel delivery issue which could have a number of causes. In such cases, I usually overhaul the engine and start with the very basics. If you have a fuel lift pump could this need maintenance? Are all fuel line connections secure? No loose nuts? I've no real experience of engines such as yours but assume it has the usual fuel lift pump and fuel pump to injector. I'd start with the entire fuel line from tank to injector. I know with regard to my own engine hunting can be caused by the fuel pump itself not performing properly. However, as there could be some other cause, I'd just work my way along the maintenance line.

Afternoon All

well the time has finally arrived for me to start to have some engine problems (it has previously never missed a beat) below is a list of things that have gone worng over the last couple of weeks and the action taken to rectify the problem, the final point is the one that i have no idea on how to sort out, so here goes.........

1, charging light came on to indicate alternator wasnt working - unbolted and found broken connector - job fixed

2, engine mount SNAPPED, not the rubber part but the L shaped bracket that is bolted to the engine then to the top of the rubber mount - removed, welded up, replaced - job fixed

3, water coming out of the tell tale hole on the water pump - removed pump sent to refurbisher - replaced - job fixed

4, this is the one i cant fathom out, i have a Thorneycroft 2 clylinder diesel engine (it is a type 33 also known as a mitsubishi l2?), i have noticed that when the engine is under load (moving down the canal) it doesnt run as smooth as it used to, the only way i can describe is like it is hunting/surging....... the noise basically goes du du du du du du du du DU DU DU DU DU du du du du du DU DU DU DU DU du du du du

the speed of the boat doesnt seem to be affected but the smoothness of the engines noise/heart beat seems to go up and down, at tickover it seems absolutely fine

thanks

Nik

thanks for that, i have had a little bit of advise from others to say start with the fuel filters and lift pump filter, not knowing a great deal about engines i guess ill have to dig the manual out and have a little tinker about

If you half fill the fuel filter bowl with neat ''diesel injector and pump cleaner,top up with diesel,''when you refit it, obtainable from car spares shops, Redex,Wynns,ect.and run the engine,it will clean injector nozzles injector pumps ect.We often did this to ensure getting diesel vehicles through MOT's emission test.

I'd put distilled or rain water in cooling system with your antifreeze to keep it nice and clean.It was almost certainly rust and muck in the system rushing round that destroyed the main seal in your waterpump to cause water to flow from the overflow hole.bizzard.

My first thought would be diesel bug having had it stop my engine. It started surging, wouldn't rev then died. Check the filters for cleanliness / change as required. Check the fuel ls getting through from the tank so check lift pump etc.

Also check air filters. Look at the cheap solutions first.

HI there

Could be an air leak in the fuel line.

We had a diesel peugeot that did this, and having a clear fuel line and filter housing we could clearly see air building up in an upward loop of the line.

The cause was a joint with a bad seal that wasn't bad enough to let diesel out but would let air in.

Sue (and Richard agrees with me!)

A manager I used to work with many years ago used to say that there's no such thing as a coincidence (The Nightingale principle). When you fixed the water pump and the engine mount did you disturb any part of the fuel system or dismantle any other part of the engine to get access?

A manager I used to work with many years ago used to say that there's no such thing as a coincidence (The Nightingale principle). When you fixed the water pump and the engine mount did you disturb any part of the fuel system or dismantle any other part of the engine to get access?

That is exactly what I was going to say. Think of the boater a couple of days ago who's engine started to stall and found the cable jammed. You have had the front apart and also had an engine mounting off so you have been tramping about a bit.

Afternoon All

(snip)

(snip)

Nik

Were the engine alignment and mountingd checked after (2)? (Especially the nuts on the mount opposite to the leg that broke)

Iain

this is the one i cant fathom out, i have a Thorneycroft 2 clylinder diesel engine (it is a type 33 also known as a mitsubishi l2?), i have noticed that when the engine is under load (moving down the canal) it doesnt run as smooth as it used to, the only way i can describe is like it is hunting/surging....... the noise basically goes du du du du du du du du DU DU DU DU DU du du du du du DU DU DU DU DU du du du du

A lot has been mentioned, Fuel, Air, Engine Mountings, I think its a question of what is easier to look at first!

Couple of other things, when were the valve clearances last checked, also when were the injectors last looked at, could be sticking valves or blocked injectors!

wow soooo many replies, sorry for the delay in replying,

i have changed the fuel filter and bled the system to remove any trapped air, i will be going down to the boat on monday of next week so will take the laptop and check the items you have all suggested.

once the fuel filter was changed and the engine ran, it seemed a little sweeter but i still seem to have a slight rumble that goes through the boat when the boat is under way, (basically the boat seems to get a shudder through its length when i am motoring along, this isnt a constant shudder but occurs about three or four times a minute, if i wath the solid fuel stove and the kettle on the hob, they seem to shiver as the shudder passes therough the boat.

could this be a misalignment of the engine/prop shaft etc

thanks for the comments so far

Nik