Seeking a part of a boat, but not knowing its name!

Featured Posts

20100117g.jpg

This arrangement looks more natural - intended for holding something firmly against the cabin wall - but what?

Now look what you've done.... Made Tim Leech shout.

Dunno why Tim shouted. I was answering your post :)

I will be convinced when someone comes up with an answer that is supported by historical evidence or by engineering and operational logic.

I have plenty of canal history books, with photographs of the rings being used to tie up boats, that satisfy me that this was their intended purpose (like the centre line of a clonecraft, though I have no documentary evidence to provide to you that this was the intended purpose of that, either). I can't reproduce the pictures, due to copyright restrictions but, fortunately, I'm not here to "convince you, one way or the other, so I really don't care what you think.

You seem to like to present 'challenges' to those that have bothered to do the research. I can't be bothered to rise to your challenges.

Why don't you go and do a bit of leg work yourself? You might even learn something...

Why don't you go and do a bit of leg work yourself? You might even learn something...

I sort of assumed that people with boats with these bits would already know what they were designed for, or simply say that they don't know. But instead there have been several less than convincing suggestions which I have responded to. What's wrong with that?

I sort of assumed that people with boats with these bits would already know what they were designed for, or simply say that they don't know. But instead there have been several less than convincing suggestions which I have responded to. What's wrong with that?

and you got replies by people with these boats who told you what their use was but you choose to dismiss them as unconvincing suggestions.

As it happens who cares what they were originally used for. On the SH boats they are purely decorative along with the stick on rivet heads and it seems the builder cant even decide which way he likes them fitted for best decorative effect.

Maybe Alan Fincher could look at his copy of the Bargee again coz I seem to have a dim memory of them being tied upto the wharf using the ring while loading or unloading "barrels, lemon peel"

but then it would be pointless posting yet another picture of it because it still wont convince you. apparantly

and you got replies by people with these boats who told you what their use was but you choose to dismiss them as unconvincing suggestions.

As it happens who cares what they were originally used for. On the SH boats they are purely decorative along with the stick on rivet heads and it seems the builder cant even decide which way he likes them fitted for best decorative effect.

Maybe Alan Fincher could look at his copy of the Bargee again coz I seem to have a dim memory of them being tied upto the wharf using the ring while loading or unloading "barrels, lemon peel"

but then it would be pointless posting yet another picture of it because it still wont convince you. apparantly

I thought that people with historic boats cared, but if that's the general feeling I will turn my attention to something else.

Because that is what they were designed for.

You've been told, by people who have done the necessary research, their purpose.

If you don't agree then go and find out.

Just saying you're not convinced, yet providing no evidence for a counter argument, merely belittles what people have told you.

I thought that people with historic boats cared, but if that's the general feeling I will turn my attention to something else.

We do care, but we don't really care about providing documentary evidence for someone who dismisses what he is told.

They probably do care and they replied to you but you appeared to poo poo them

Now Im all for a good poo poo but when you start to poo poo a good poo poo then you have to find yourself poo poo'd.

Ah, what ever happend to General Melchet

• Greenie 1

I don't "know". I am just trying to summarize the collective view on this forum based on a picture that somebody posted of an old boat with original fittings that are the opposite way round to the Hudson version. Unless, of course, you think they were a later and incorrect addition to the old boat?

But that was not an old boat either. I worked narrowboats from the late 60s and knew plenty of "born and bred" boat people from some 12 years prior to that. Not ancient history maybe, but certainly from times before Steve Hudson and other repro builders were around. I said my piece but you are just a wind up merchant and I can't be bothered to add more. Those of us who know, know. You come in with the absurd idea that Hudson's rings were based on earlier ones that were for lifting a boat (not a thing that a working narrowboat commonly had done - why would it?), you'd not heard of a back end rail, nor side cloths, nor really anything much about working narrow boats at all, nor any of the techniques involved in running one. If you have a realistic point please make it, otherwise go back to wherever you came from.

Edited by Tam & Di

But that was not an old boat either. I worked narrowboats from the late 60s and knew plenty of "born and bred" boat people from some 12 years prior to that. I said my piece but you are just a wind up merchant and I can't be bothered to add more. Those of us who know, know. You come in with the absurd idea that Hudson's rings were based on earlier ones that were for lifting a boat (not a thing that a working narrowboat commonly had done - why would it?), you'd not heard of a back end rail, nor side cloths, nor really anything much about working narrow boats at all, nor any of the techniques involved in running one. If you have a realistic point please make it, otherwise go back to wherever you came from.

I assume he's referring to this pic which I posted:-

Taybackend-1.jpg

which is the Thomas Claytons 'TAY', certainly an 'old' boat.

Other than that technicality, I agree with you ;)

Tim

I assume he's referring to this pic which I posted:-

Taybackend-1.jpg

which is the Thomas Claytons 'TAY', certainly an 'old' boat.

Other than that technicality, I agree with you ;)

Tim

Sorry Tim, I'd forgotten you put that on and was only thinking of the picture of the Ian Kemp one. None of it is going to infuence Robin2 as his game is to get people annoyed, not to find anything out.

Guest wanted

Of course we haven’t explored the possibility that they could be door knockers, one each side so it doesn’t matter which way you’re facing.

How’s that Robin?

In truth I think your answers are a bit technical and complex for poor Robin.

I've been thinking how to help by explaining it simply.

They are to tie ropes to.

HTH

Or, in these days when some people seem to want to steal anything, chains . . .

OK the answer from the man himself on Steve Hudson's cabin bulkhead rings.

Many years ago when working boats were being cut down into tugs, the front cabin bulkhead mounted sliding rail had to be removed when a front door was fitted. One answer for replacement was to fit rings each side of the doors.

About twenty years ago Steve saw such rings on a tug & incorporated them as one of his trademark design features. He copied the design exactly as seen although admits as much for decorative reasons as anything else. They can be used however.

They're even the right way up :)

But if you click on ANSER in that link they seem to be referred to as towing rings! Someone else with a peculiar idea of their function?

Edited by Tam & Di

twenty years ago Steve saw such rings on a tug & incorporated them as one of his trademark design features. He copied the design exactly as seen although admits as much for decorative reasons as anything else. They can be used however.

Would you mind using the red telephone again to enquire why that way up?

Would you mind using the red telephone again to enquire why that way up?

As already said, he copied them exactly as seen - he apparently liked the look of them & didn't question the shape & mounting as they were primarily for decoration. He did say that their true purpose & manner of use was lost in the annals of time & wouldn't entertain any speculation.

As already said, he copied them exactly as seen - he apparently liked the look of them & didn't question the shape & mounting as they were primarily for decoration.

Exactly as they were or exactly as he saw (or thought he saw) them. Would be interesting to know where/on what boat he saw them.

He did say that their true purpose & manner of use was lost in the annals of time & wouldn't entertain any speculation.

Which is nonsense, we do know what they were used for. It just goes to prove that many boatbuilders know very little about the history of boats and boating.

Which is nonsense, we do know what they were used for. It just goes to prove that many boatbuilders know very little about the history of boats and boating.

No, be fair......

I'm sure they study a prototype very closely......

2010_1109SHARM20003-1.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

Well, I suppose I might offend it's owner, if they happen to post here......

But, honestly!

I have today seen an immaculate example of a "tug style" boat, that features these very "lifting rings", (or whatever we have decided they are! :rolleyes: )

It has the rings, it has the tug deck, it has the "Josher bows", it even has the "rivets".......

So what' can be the problem with the aesthetics ?

Well, it also has a "semi trad" stern, complete with massive pram hood.

Now not even Hudson will deliver you that, I think!

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

Well, it also has a "semi trad" stern, complete with massive pram hood.

To be fair, this was offered as an optional extra, to sweeten the deal, when Yarwoods built boats for F.M.&C.

I don't think any were ever supplied, though.