Turtles (or are they tortoises?)

Minos

Featured Posts

Circe and I have just spotted one basking on a bit of tree on the Paddington Arm near Greenford. She tried to take a photo, but was holding a cup of tea instead of a camera.

I've just googled turtles in the cut, and only come up with this link:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?37974-turtles-in-the-grand-union-canal!

Circe and I have just spotted one basking on a bit of tree on the Paddington Arm near Greenford. She tried to take a photo, but was holding a cup of tea instead of a camera.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?37974-turtles-in-the-grand-union-canal!

I understood that they are Terrapins rather that Turples but a quick google search seems to imply that they are the same but depending which country you are in. it would appear that in the UK freshwater ones are referred to as Terrapins.

back to the OP, they have been common on the Paddington Arm for many a year, there is quite a colony of them at Battlebridge Basin as well.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Almost certainly red-eared terrapins.

They were popular as pets during the ninja turtle phase and were bought fom pet shops about 2 inches long. When the inevitable boredom set in they were flushed down the loo and thrived in certaIn areas.

We came down there yesterday and saw three in different places along the Paddington Arm. One of them was a big bugger too! About the size of a dinner plate.

I say, say who was that terrapin I saw you with last night?

That was no terrapin that was our teacher, she taught us*! (tortoise) geddit?

Boom boom!

* © Lewis Carroll 1871 :P

Richard

Edited by RLWP

At bridge 22 on The Ashby at the mo' and haven't seen a turtle yet.

Seen a few water vole holes in the bank though.

Nearer the bottom you're likely to see the actual voles :)

At least that's where I've mostly seen them.

Tony

The only tortoise you'll ever see in the water is a dead one. They're not very buoyant!

There aren't any indigenous chelonians in the British Isles.

When I move on to my boat, my tortoise will be moving in with me. Winter time he'll be inside (he doesn't hibernate), spring and autumn he'll live in the big widebeam well deck according to the weather, and in the summer heat he'll be going on his holidays to my friend's garden...

DSCF0730.jpg

Hi,

I have a female Terrapin which has lived in my garden pond since the late eighties, last year the male was lost. The female seems to miss him and I would be very happy to give a home to a terrapin (preferably male) that anyone comes across that has been rescued or found. She is around 9-10 inches long and called "Staffs" sadly her partner was "Worcester" who was lost. A new "Worcester" would be great. Males have a more flatter shell top than females.

They can be seen here, scroll down the page: http://www.lhcrt.org.uk/gallery5.htm

Hi,

I have a female Terrapin which has lived in my garden pond since the late eighties, last year the male was lost. The female seems to miss him and I would be very happy to give a home to a terrapin (preferably male) that anyone comes across that has been rescued or found. She is around 9-10 inches long and called "Staffs" sadly her partner was "Worcester" who was lost. A new "Worcester" would be great. Males have a more flatter shell top than females.

They can be seen here, scroll down the page: http://www.lhcrt.org.uk/gallery5.htm

Have you tried the terrapin rescue centres.

I've had my tortoise for 36 years. He is now about twice as big as when I got him and he has the manners of a Sherman Tank and the appetite of a hippopotamus. :unsure:

If you have two tortoises, you'll find they have the social skills of a hungover rhino. And most tortoises have the escapology skills of Harry Houdini

We had two when I was child

Richard

Guest wanted

If you have two tortoises, you'll find they have the social skills of a hungover rhino. And most tortoises have the escapology skills of Harry Houdini

Richard

Yep, my sister still has speedy, she liberated it from our primary school because it wasn't being looked after properly. It had a hole drilled into it's shell at the back which they used to tie string though to stop it escaping. Once speedy had a taste of freedom (our back garden) there was no holding it back! I have lost count the amount of times I have searched for it! It was rescued 30 years ago and still going strong!

Richard

I am hoping Tony won't be able to escape from the well deck. He might have a nasty surprise if he does!

They say that a tortoise can detect another's presence from up to three miles. When I first had him he would escape several times each summer and raid neighbouring gardens for the choicest treats. Nowadays he doesn't bother, or maybe his radar hasn't detected any girlfriends in recent years. :lol: