Electric blanket

jonk

Featured Posts

I know that it is still Summer, but thinking ahead a couple of months:

Do you use an electric blanket or a hot water bottle for your bed on board? Some will use neither I expect, and perhaps some use a hot brick in a sock :lol:

What do YOU use?

John

If you're on shore power, and it's cold in your bed, I see no reason for not making yourself a bit more comfortable.

On the other hand, if you have to make your own electric-power, it would be quite a silly idea.

It's never a big problem to find some good ways of emptying your batteries quickly, but it's the recharging them that's not as easy.

Much more power frienly to use a hotwater bottle, from a kettle that has been standing on your nice and warm s.f.stove.

Peter.

Do you use an electric blanket or a hot water bottle for your bed on board? Some will use neither I expect, and perhaps some use a hot brick in a sock :lol:

What do YOU use?

John

Girl Friend... :rolleyes:

What do YOU use?

John

We put an electric blanket in the bed when we arrive onboard in the winter just for the first night. The batteries are normally fully charged at that time and a couple of hours doesn't use that much power and the bed feels 100% better. After the first days boating with an engine room next to the back cabin everything is fine.

Beds are like toilet seats, they should cold when you get into/sit on them.

Nothing better than that feeling you get when climbing bare skinned between cold sheets.

Having experienced both I do not share your 'feelings' :lol:

John

having seen the fire produced from an electric blanket of my parents years ago when I was a child, I would never use one.

That said, as a woman of a certain age, :blush: ermmm.....ice cubes?

My wife is the same except that she can be hot or cold at random times during the same night, this can be somewhat disturbing when she tries to either warm up or cool down by using me as a hot water bottle.

John

Girl Friend... :rolleyes:

Oh to be young again - not :rolleyes:

John

Use an old long handled Wok with lid.Fill with redhot coals from the stove,replace lid and yoose as a bed warming pan.You can also tuck some jacket potatoes in around the coals for your supper. bizzard. :wub:

Use an old long handled Wok with lid.Fill with redhot coals from the stove,replace lid and yoose as a bed warming pan.You can also tuck some jacket potatoes in around the coals for your supper. bizzard. :wub:

You obviously believe in 'having your bake and heating it'

:cheers:

John

You obviously believe in 'having your bake and heating it'

:cheers:

John

Oh yes. Or having the heat and baking it.

I was saving this one for wheese of the week,but being as you've started the ball rolling Jonk. I'll pop it in here instead.

Obtain a small biscuit tin.

Knock a hole in one side,fit into this a small bulb holder with enough flex and plug on the end, to plug into your 12v dc system.and put the lid on.As the bulbs contained in an enclosed tin,its surprising how warm the tin gets.

Experiment with different wattage bulbs, ''10 watt''should be about right,but be careful as the one i first made,all the paint burnt off and stuck to the bed sheets and scorched them. That was a 40 watt bulb.

Anyway plug in and look forward to a toasty warm bed. This is serious,they do work well.Pop a pie in the box too to slow bake it. bizzard :cheers:

Oh yes. Or having the heat and baking it.

I was saving this one for wheese of the week,but being as you've started the ball rolling Jonk. I'll pop it in here instead.

Obtain a small biscuit tin.

Knock a hole in one side,fit into this a small bulb holder with enough flex and plug on the end, to plug into your 12v dc system.and put the lid on.As the bulbs contained in an enclosed tin,its surprising how warm the tin gets.

Experiment with different wattage bulbs, ''10 watt''should be about right,but be careful as the one i first made,all the paint burnt off and stuck to the bed sheets and scorched them. That was a 40 watt bulb.

Anyway plug in and look forward to a toasty warm bed. This is serious,they do work well.Pop a pie in the box too to slow bake it. bizzard :cheers:

I'm sure it does! Is that an Apple Pie for the bed?

Heat and food and a interesting smelling bed - sounds too good to be true :lol:

John

I'm sure it does! Is that an Apple Pie for the bed?

Heat and food and a interesting smelling bed - sounds too good to be true :lol:

John

No,no smell if the lids on tight. Halogen bulbs give off the best heat for their size 'wattage.'Eat your heart out . bizzard.

Surly watts to heat is the same regardless of the type of element. i.e. 25 watts for 1 hour = 85.360648743Btu/hr

Yes of course they are,but the equivalent wattage halogen bulb is smaller which leaves more room for a pie.

I don't bother having technical information pages or manuals open next to me i'm affraid.Everything i post is off the back of my head. bizzard.

Yes of course they are,but the equivalent wattage halogen bulb is smaller which leaves more room for a pie.

I don't bother having technical information pages or manuals open next to me i'm affraid.Everything i post is off the back of my head. bizzard.

The Halogen would probably be at a higher temperature I am not sure if that would be better than the same wattage at a lower temperature. I am thinking back to the old "Glow Baby" bed warmer.

The Halogen would probably be at a higher temperature I am not sure if that would be better than the same wattage at a lower temperature. I am thinking back to the old "Glow Baby" bed warmer.

Well there you are.A similar thing has been used for donkey's years in poultry incubators,my dad knocked up one for his chickens 60 odd years ago.I doubt whether they'll get a full patent on it unless the original has been allowed to lapse.

I was going to experiment on my gas fridge by replacing the gas jet with an say 20 watt halogen bulb poked up the heat exchanger tube,i'm almost sure it would be as hot as the tiny flame,will try it during the winter.

regs bizzard

Well there you are.A similar thing has been used for donkey's years in poultry incubators,my dad knocked up one for his chickens 60 odd years ago.I doubt whether they'll get a full patent on it unless the original has been allowed to lapse.

I was going to experiment on my gas fridge by replacing the gas jet with an say 20 watt halogen bulb poked up the heat exchanger tube,i'm almost sure it would be as hot as the tiny flame,will try it during the winter.

regs bizzard

I think they did, about 60 years ago, maybe your dad saw one. My dad made his own with a bulb and a metal folding fire guard, I am surprised he didn't scorch the sheets

What do YOU use?

John

Get yourself a stone hot water bottle, Fill with boiling water and pop in the bed at about 8pm and when

you retire at around 10.30pm, The bed is heated right through.

Firesprite

Are hot water bottles enough? Dr Wiggins refers to me as the cold equivalent of a black hole - I make the bed colder by getting in, can never warm up. I like the idea of a brick or stone, as I find water gets cold by morning & makes things worse - those wheat thingies at least stay neutral. Am somewhat addicted to my electric blanket, and have been known to use it during summer here in Melbourne...

Are hot water bottles enough? Dr Wiggins refers to me as the cold equivalent of a black hole - I make the bed colder by getting in, can never warm up. I like the idea of a brick or stone, as I find water gets cold by morning & makes things worse - those wheat thingies at least stay neutral. Am somewhat addicted to my electric blanket, and have been known to use it during summer here in Melbourne...

At home we use an electric under blanket until we get in then use 'bean bags' afterwards plus a couple of mohair blankets over the duvet, in Winter. On the boat we haven't experienced really cold weather yet so I am not sure what we will use; probably hot water bottles or an electric blanket run from the travel power while cruising to pre-warm the bed.

Didn't realise that black holes are hot - tend to think of space objects being cold, but of course that isn't right since the sun, for example, is quite warm!

John