Flower of Gloster

stickleback

Featured Posts

I imagine we're talking about the one that appeared in the children's tv programme?

Originally the horse boat Vulture built in 1904, she worked for LB Faulkener in Leighton Buzzard.

Sometime in the 30's she was converted to a motor then used as a hotel boat and renamed Wanderer whilst paired with another hotel boat called Wayfarer.

After her appearance in the tv programme she was then used by the Mikron theatre where her sub aquatic tendencies came to the fore. From then on she sat on the bottom quite regularly and could be seen sunk at various places around the Beds/Bucks area for a few years.

A bit later she was chopped in half and had a metal nose put on her at Pitstone Wharf. At one point she was paired with Lucy. It's understood she was broken up at Cosgrove in the nineties.

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/flowergloster.htm

If however you are referring to the original Flower of Gloster then I believe Eynsham Harry is still living on her somewhere near Stroud. :captain:

I imagine we're talking about the one that appeared in the children's tv programme?

Originally the horse boat Vulture built in 1904, she worked for LB Faulkener in Leighton Buzzard.

Sometime in the 30's she was converted to a motor then used as a hotel boat and renamed Wanderer whilst paired with another hotel boat called Wayfarer.

After her appearance in the tv programme she was then used by the Mikron theatre where her sub aquatic tendencies came to the fore. From then on she sat on the bottom quite regularly and could be seen sunk at various places around the Beds/Bucks area for a few years.

A bit later she was chopped in half and had a metal nose put on her at Pitstone Wharf. At one point she was paired with Lucy. It's understood she was broken up at Cosgrove in the nineties.

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/flowergloster.htm

If however you are referring to the original Flower of Gloster then I believe Eynsham Harry is still living on her somewhere near Stroud. :captain:

I appeared in that series twice, and they used our boat in the Stoke Bruerne scenes, when their boat got stuck the other side of the tunnel. We never did receive the payment for our services, which were promised by the director.

Edited by David Schweizer

I appeared in that series twice, and they used our boat in the Stoke Bruerne scenes, when their boat got stuck the other side of the tunnel. We never did receive the payment for our services, which were promised by the director.

I was a kid in East London at the time and watching the series was what got me hooked on canals.

Does any one know if it is available anywhere on DVD?

SAM

Ryde

IOW

I was a kid in East London at the time and watching the series was what got me hooked on canals.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Googling about reveals that only two episodes have survived on "Umatic" (whatever that is) and they are not available.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

I hope not, given my two appearances in the series. (I was only 21 though!)

Googling about reveals that only two episodes have survived on "Umatic" (whatever that is) and they are not available.

Umatic is a old professional tape format. There are still machines around so conversion s possible although without doubt expensive,

Umatic is a old professional tape format. There are still machines around so conversion s possible although without doubt expensive,

On the website where I found the information it said that copies could be had for £4000 so, presumably, that would be the cost of conversion, to a usable format.

I am sorry but some of the above information is incorrect.

L.B. Faulkner had a new boat built by W.E. Costin, Berkhamsted that he named VULTURE (Berkhamsted 399 - 04/10/1904 & GJC 11354 - 09/12/1904 & OCC 5375 - copy table of GJC 11354 & BCN 20310 - 22/08/1907). VULTURE was re-registered to L.B. Faulkner in 1908 (Berkhamsted 399 - 09/10/1908) due to a fore cabin being added. In 1911 VULTURE was re-registered to Chance Bros. & Co., Spon Lane (Birmingham 1235 - 17/03/1911), returning to the Berkhamsted register in 1919 when it passed to Samuel Barlow (Tamworth) Ltd. (Berkhamsted 399 - 15/01/1919).

Joseph Pearsall had a new boat built that he named POLLY (Berkhamsted 477 - 15/11/1909 & GJC 11730 - 16/06/1910). This boat passed to L.B. Faulkner in 1922 and was renamed VULTURE (Berkhamsted 477 - 29/05/1922 - BCN 388 - 22/08/1922). It was this boat that was later converted to the motor boat VULTURE, possibly in September 1933 and in the early 1940's re-registered as Linslade 6.

The motor VULTURE was sold by L.B. Faulkner on 20/07/1950 to New Way Holidays for conversion to the hotel boat WANDERER - but I have not seen any evidence to prove that WANDERER and FLOWER OF GLOSTER are / were one of the same boat. In fact I have heard of several motor boats being suggested as becoming FLOWER OF GLOSTER, includng A. Wander Ltd. GEORGE and F.M.C. Ltd. SWIFT !

'zenataomm' - I am hoping that you will be able to supply some evidence of your claims as you wrote with such conviction. The FLOWER OF GLOSTER history I have starts in the late 1960's, and ends in the 1990's when it was dismantled at Puttenham on the Aylesbury Arm.

'zenataomm' - I am hoping that you will be able to supply some evidence of your claims as you wrote with such conviction. The FLOWER OF GLOSTER history I have starts in the late 1960's, and ends in the 1990's when it was dismantled at Puttenham on the Aylesbury Arm.

Of course not Pete, the only thing I can write about with any conviction is what I had for tea last night, and that will only be accurate for a few more hours.

What I've posted relates to a conversation I had with a previous owner some years ago who was in possession of Gauging records that were apparently from the said boat, however I doubt I could prove my own birth certificate is anything to do with me if I had to.

I accept accuracy is paramount when it comes to these things otherwise hearsay becomes accepted as truth and is passed into history as such. To be honest my interest at the time was much more in the young actress Annette Robinson.

As we all know Pete whenever any of us are looking for historical accuracy or provenance the conversation usually turns to you, so I'm sure you're version of whichever boat it originally was is much more likely to be accurate than my hazy memories of a distant chat. Thanks for your gentle hand on the tiller of likleyhood.

As we all know Pete whenever any of us are looking for historical accuracy or provenance the conversation usually turns to you, so I'm sure you're version of whichever boat it originally was is much more likely to be accurate than my hazy memories of a distant chat. Thanks for your gentle hand on the tiller of likleyhood.

Unfortunately I have no idea of the FLOWER OF GLOSTER's original identity, and I think it may be difficult to find good evidence now. I do have a file on the FLOWER OF GLOSTER where 'enthusiasts' opinions are lodged. I can see that the connection with the hotel boat WANDERER is a real possibility and I shall bare it in mind. I think the likelyhood of finding a link to A. Wander Ltd's GEORGE is faint, and F.M.C. Ltd.s SWIFT is a real non starter.

Unfortunately I have no idea of the FLOWER OF GLOSTER's original identity, and I think it may be difficult to find good evidence now. I do have a file on the FLOWER OF GLOSTER where 'enthusiasts' opinions are lodged. I can see that the connection with the hotel boat WANDERER is a real possibility and I shall bare it in mind. I think the likelyhood of finding a link to A. Wander Ltd's GEORGE is faint, and F.M.C. Ltd.s SWIFT is a real non starter.

Here it is on Dutton Dry dock, not long after the filming. Owned by Michael Sampson at the time.

Not my picture, so I've cropped it right back to show just the boat.

Probably not a good enough pic to help with any identification, though.

Flowerofglos.gif

Tim

That is interesting. I remember quite distinctly that the camera man told us they were filming on 35mm film, because part of the payment to us was to have been the unused end of a roll, which could be used in a 35mm SLR camera.

It may be of no consequence, but I can confirm that the Ex GUCC motor Pisces was used for the scenes of Flower of Gloster being bow hauled at Stoke Bruerne. I know because we helped to pull it (off camera), and they filmed about four takes. We tried to explain to the Director that the bows of Pisces were very different from the boat being used to portray Flower of Gloster, but he was not concerned about this breach of continuity.

Edited to add:- If this episode has survived, I am the scruffy individual wearing jeans and a denim jacket, walking along the towpath at Stoke Bruerne, with a roll up in my mouth.

Edited by David Schweizer

Here it is on Dutton Dry dock, not long after the filming. Owned by Michael Sampson at the time.

Not my picture, so I've cropped it right back to show just the boat.

Probably not a good enough pic to help with any identification, though.

Flowerofglos.gif

Tim

I took this in 1972, with Flower of Gloucester in the foreground and, I think, Lapwing and Saturn beyond the lock.

6041689317_a8140a8e17_z.jpg

Edited by Pluto

I took this in 1972, with Flower of Gloucester in the foreground and, I think, Lapwing and Saturn beyond the lock.

6041689317_a8140a8e17_z.jpg

The butty is the KESTREL, at that stage recently acquired by Michael Sampson.

You're probably right about the other two.

The boat on the inside of Flower of Gloster is the PHOEBE (named as a joke between myself and Peter Shrubsall), later given to the boat Museum and I think currently undergoing repairs there.

Nice to see a picture of my house painted red. It was later painted white-ish to keep BW happy, part of their colour scheme for the T&M, and now as a listed building we're required to keep it white

Tim

IMDb suggests that it all still exists on 16mm film or videotape, but doesn't give any more help on obtaining a copy.

David

Must admit to not being surprised the cheaper 16mm format was used, especially if it involved improve which could be expensive on film running time. Though it cirtainly wouldn't fit in a 35mm stills camera, so perhaps from David's story it was actually filmed on 35mm - which was used quite often in the 60's thanks to the other 'shiney' programs being made then.

UMatic wasn't around until the 70's, but was it rebroadcast at a later date?

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=4934&page=1

suggests a show print was made in 16mm, when Bill Grundy showed it during a talk in Manchester. Perhaps it was around that time that the UMatic's were also made. Reading further suggests that two UMatic tapes exist, and ITV would do copies for £95 each...

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hello to everyone, i was interested in this post as i remember watching this programme when it was first shown on ITV television back in late 1967. A converted narrow boat and a houseboat race down to London from north Wales to be the first under Tower bridge to be the 'race winner' and to be the boat purchased by a perspective buyer which was right at the end of this 13-episode series.

I was 10 years old in 1967 and was just getting interested in canals & narrow boats and really loved this programme, in fact i believe i saw every episode that was shown (i've read that there are only 2-complete episodes left out of the original 13 episodes that were made for this programme?).

Finally, i must make a comment about the programmes theme music which i can still hum to myself some 44 years later, what a BEAUTIFUL piece of music it was, i've NEVER heard it since 1967 but i can still remember it in full!.

And very finally, some member's may be interested to know that my old dad (who died in 1970) actually worked at onetime for FELLOWS, MORTON & CLAYTON way back maybe in the 1920s or 30s NOT as a boatman but as a deliver driver i believe, he to was very keen on narrow boats & canals as well.

Edited by Micky

• 7 months later...

Old thread I know but I have or had two episodes that Granada gave me 20 odd years ago. One features the Anderton boat lift the other features Flower going through Bucks/Beds including the children visiting woburn abbey. I have been clearing the garage recently, if I find the video I will see if it also contains the Stoke Bruerne bit, it may well do, I remember that bit of the journey but cant remember if i saw it on the video or if I just remember it from the book. If I have you in it David you are welcome to a copy to view

I am curious about the suggestion she was broken up at puttenham. I have (or again had... moved a few times since then) pictures of her with the engine out and partially broken up at Cosgrove dry dock

I am curious about the suggestion she was broken up at puttenham. I have (or again had... moved a few times since then) pictures of her with the engine out and partially broken up at Cosgrove dry dock

FLOWER OF GLOSTER was in a dismantled state and 'in storage' at Puttenham by the late 1990's. Of course it could have been broken up anywhere :captain:

FLOWER OF GLOSTER was in a dismantled state and 'in storage' at Puttenham by the late 1990's. Of course it could have been broken up anywhere :captain:

that would make sense. The boat at Cosgrove was definitely Flower, the metal nose and engine had gone. wonder what happened to her after going into storage.

that would make sense. The boat at Cosgrove was definitely Flower, the metal nose and engine had gone. wonder what happened to her after going into storage.

"metal nose" - yes that is the same boat. I have no trace of FLOWER OF GLOSTER after 1997 where it was described as being "in pieces".

"metal nose" - yes that is the same boat. I have no trace of FLOWER OF GLOSTER after 1997 where it was described as being "in pieces".

Is puttenham the Jem Bates yard? If so I may contact him as I have some bits from her that I was given in the nineties and I'd prefer them to be reunited if there is ever a plan to do something with the remains