Architectural Boat Design

Triumphtone

Featured Posts

Did you bother to actually read the article? They're not hollow.

Didn't read that particular article - therefore stand corrected but glass blocks used in buildings are hollow. I normally wouldn't specify them for large areas of an external wall as they are not thermally efficient but do so internally where they can let light into an area but maintain some degree of privacy e.g shower rooms. They can also be fire rated. There are many manufacturers this link is to one of the bgger ones My link

I like it,very interesting.I'd love to know if its any good as a livaboard.Sometimes I think were a bit stuffy about anything different.I like the look of the quality of light it lets in,also the insides are sunk low down beneath the gunnels very different.As ever plus's and minus's I imagine.

It was still on the Duck when this thread was started - now gone. Perhaps it has sold?

Also a facebook Group Clicky

He reckons she's seagoing. :glare:

Thank you very much for this link 'Lady Muck', she looks like a very spacious fairly short boat, surely because she's so wide.

Peter.

Who knows anything about glass making? Is that as liquid as glass ever gets?

Tony

Glass is always liquid.

If you look at original windows, in very old buildings, you will see that the glass is thicker at the bottom of the pane, where it has very slowly flowed down.

I'd like to see that....from the vantage point of a proper boat, of course, waiting to pick up survivors.

If you look at original windows, in very old buildings, you will see that the glass is thicker at the bottom of the pane, where it has very slowly flowed down.

That's a myth, the reason why there thicker at the bottom is because they put them in that way. They couldn't easily make sheets of glass in them days.

Glass is always liquid.

Yes I know that. I was asking if that's as liquid as it gets - in other words, is that the least viscous it gets.

No, not vicious, viscous ;)

Tony

That's a myth, the reason why there thicker at the bottom is because they put them in that way.

No it's not, no they didn't.

Tony

MMMMMMM can't see a bathroom,must be a boat for a French person :lol:

If you read the discription, you'll see that there is a wet-room :

"Also to the back of the space is the toilet (a pump out Sanimarine S) and wet-room, with an overhead shower in the skylight and a hard-wood shower tray. As with the sleeping area, the toilet/wet-room can either be closed off in a separate area, or, with doors like a Chinese box, can open up to double its size.

Outside of the wetroom is an Electrolux washing machine and double height clothes cupboard".

So this boat could even be used by someone English.

Peter.

Well I was thinking of going to look at this boat, but the ad was cancelled a couple of days ago, so I guess it's been sold.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=o.108683805839818&type=1

few more photos here.

wouldn't put that anywhere nearer the sea than limehouse basin.

edited to add - lady muck alreay posted this linky but I didn't know because I was on my HTC Confusion !!!!

Edited by matty40s

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=o.108683805839818&type=1

few more photos here.

wouldn't put that anywhere nearer the sea than limehouse basin.

I was looking forward to see some more photos of this boat, but these are the photos of the link 'Lady Muck' gave us already in post # 31.

Thanks anyway,

Peter.

Yes I know that. I was asking if that's as liquid as it gets - in other words, is that the least viscous it gets.

No, not vicious, viscous ;)

Tony

No it's not, no they didn't.

Tony

I'm afraid that it is a myth. I was going to post what Carl did, and I thought I'd better do my research first. Try googling "glass supercooled liquid" and see what you find. I found I was wrong

Richard

I'm afraid that it is a myth. I was going to post what Carl did, and I thought I'd better do my research first. Try googling "glass supercooled liquid" and see what you find. I found I was wrong

Richard

Oooh... mucho apologies. I was wrong. (Something you'll never see Phylis post.) It is indeed a myth.

I did discover in my Googling that polystyrene is a glass though, which is a fun fact.

Tony

It was still on the Duck when this thread was started - now gone. Perhaps it has sold?

Also a facebook Group Clicky

The boat must have been sold as it's on my patch in West London and I've had occasion to pay a visit to where it is moored. I did wonder what the strange bumpy stuff around the gunwhales was and now I know. Not the prettiest thing from the outside and I personally don't like boats painted black but maybe I am old fashioned. Would be interested to see the interior.

D

Edited to correct typo

Edited by debbifiggy

The glass thicker at the bottom myth is one that is easy to swallow (I certainly did, despite my qualifications being in Materials Science).

This is because glass is neither a solid nor a liquid, ie it has no melt point or setting point so it is easy to make the next, erroneous, step to assuming that, over time, it would flow.

Glass does in fact flow but far too slowly for it to be observed.

I can't find the quote now but, googling about, I saw someone had written "If glass flowing had made mediaeval church window panes thicker at the bottom then the glass artefacts, found in the Egyptian tombs, would be shapeless blobs, on the floor."

The glass thicker at the bottom myth is one that is easy to swallow (I certainly did, despite my qualifications being in Materials Science).

This is because glass is neither a solid nor a liquid, ie it has no melt point or setting point so it is easy to make the next, erroneous, step to assuming that, over time, it would flow.

Glass does in fact flow but far too slowly for it to be observed.

I can't find the quote now but, googling about, I saw someone had written "If glass flowing had made mediaeval church window panes thicker at the bottom then the glass artefacts, found in the Egyptian tombs, would be shapeless blobs, on the floor."

I seem to remember some kind of experiment at school with a glass rod supported at it's ends horizontally, and with a weight hung in the middle. If I remember it right, that did actually bend over time due to material flow

Or perhaps I don't remember it...

Richard