Mooring trouble..

Dieselboat

Featured Posts

Hi peeps,

Heres the thing.. ive been a cc'er for 5 years then last winter i lost my part time job and was then finding it difficult financially to fulfill the cc'ing requirments so needless to say im now being threatend by BW. Im now in full-time work and need a mooring as cc'ing will be far to difficult to handle. Ive been searching daily for more than 6 months now and its making me depressed as there just isnt many if any reidential spots along the Oxford canal. Ive seen the Agenda 21 mooring up for auction but im just waiting to see how much it reaches before i bid as judging on passed prices its not going to be very resonable! Now i dont mind where on the oxford canal just SOMEWHERE! So how can i get myself out of this awful situation? Some nice useful advice would be great :) thanks in advance!

sadly you have picked probably the worst canal in the country to moor on! where do you now work that may help others to understand where you need to get to each day. it would be pointless us advising you until you let us know where you need to start from.

best of luck dealing with BW morons in this area, i never found them helpful ever!

My job is in Oxford city. I look at waterscape autions site daily, so if you've ever been on there you will see over 90% are leisure only :( . Morons is too nice a word... Ive been above board, legal, have a nice tidy boat and been a good example for cc'ing for over 5 years, i had hit hard times and im trying my very best to find a ''home mooring'' which of course is proving near on impossible. So i find myself now breaking rules which of course i dont want to be doing but im left with no other alternatives. I still move around but not the 30 miles every 6 weeks which they insist on now because of the Bristol hearing. Thanks anyway i trudge on...

not sure of your transport situation but you could concider the milton keynes/aylesbury sections of the GU around 30 - 35 miles by road to Oxford a few months worth of varied moorings. the trouble is once BW start on someone they don't give up even when you do your best to comply. i have been on the recieving end of the little hitlers in the southern oxford area so you have my sympathy! good luck, kev

There attitude is disgusting, I didn't realise how nasty they could be. With regard to leisure moorings.. How do they define "main residence" I'm not on the boat at weekends any more and will probably not be there over winter either.

There attitude is disgusting, I didn't realise how nasty they could be. With regard to leisure moorings.. How do they define "main residence" I'm not on the boat at weekends any more and will probably not be there over winter either.

First of all, when making enquiries don't mention 'residential' or 'live aboard'.

Owners of moorings with have their own rules on how much time you can stay aboard, some will enforce it, others turn a blind eye.

Some will give rates for 'high users' which seems to be a bit of a code.

The best thing to do is to speak to other moorers & see what the situation is.

The thing to remember is that if you fall foul of the rules or have a disagreement with the owners, then you will have no option other than to move on.

Good luck.

not sure of your transport situation but you could concider the milton keynes/aylesbury sections of the GU around 30 - 35 miles by road to Oxford a few months worth of varied moorings.

Not any more

Allegedly all the boats between Hemel and Berko have received notices to move on.

Seems like a crack down could be going on.

They always seem to have a little purge at the start of the holidays, the same thing happened at Easter this year. I wonder if they'll keep on with it or not thiss time. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They always seem to have a little purge at the start of the holidays, the same thing happened at Easter this year. I wonder if they'll keep on with it or not thiss time. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Or is it the start of the pre-Olympics year?

David

Hi peeps,

Heres the thing.. ive been a cc'er for 5 years then last winter i lost my part time job and was then finding it difficult financially to fulfill the cc'ing requirments so needless to say im now being threatend by BW. Im now in full-time work and need a mooring as cc'ing will be far to difficult to handle. Ive been searching daily for more than 6 months now and its making me depressed as there just isnt many if any reidential spots along the Oxford canal. Ive seen the Agenda 21 mooring up for auction but im just waiting to see how much it reaches before i bid as judging on passed prices its not going to be very resonable! Now i dont mind where on the oxford canal just SOMEWHERE! So how can i get myself out of this awful situation? Some nice useful advice would be great :) thanks in advance!

Why does the mooring have to be on the Oxford canal? Have you tried to find a mooring on the Thames? They do come up occasionally and it might increase your chances.

Although I think BW are starting to crack down on CC'ers who are mostly staying in one place, I don't think they are anywhere near worrying about who is a liveaboard on a "leisure" mooring. Most boaters are really grateful for some liveaboards who will keep an eye on things. Marinas can be stricter, but right now I think BW is keeping a blind eye.

Recently several of these moorings have come up in commuting distance of Oxford (after several years when there was nothing), so keep your eyes open, especially if you have a smaller boat.

Most moorings inside the ring road in Oxford will never come up, because they are allowed to sell the mooring with the boat. Basically if you want the mooring you've got to buy the boat at a crazy price and then sell it or junk it and bring yours on. Or sell your boat, and live on the one you bought with the mooring.

• Greenie 1

I dont understand why everyone thinks its ok to claim to be CC'ers when you clearly are not, i understand the op's circumstances have changed and it may be hard to find a mooring where he wants, but after 6 months i can see why he's being asked to move on. I personaly think its good that the overstayers are being asked to move on, not much fun to end a days cruising to find no decent moorings as they are all taken by boats that have set up home on the towpath and clearly never/rarely move, while we end up moored to a scabby piece of bank, with a 2ft gap to jump. If you need to stay in one place for work/school or whatever, you should have a mooring or go live on the land. These are not new rules, you all knew the situation when you bought your boats, and maybe you should have found your moorings first. End of rant.

• Greenie 2

I dont understand why everyone thinks its ok to claim to be CC'ers when you clearly are not,

That's a bit rich considering the OP hasn't given any info regarding their cruising range.

Or does this represent an attempt to revitalise the much vaunted yet somewhat tired CC/CM debate while at the same time drowning an earnest request for help in time served vitriolic cliche?

Trip trop trip trop went the Billy Goats Gruff!

• Greenie 2

Thank you Smelly! :)

And im a SHE not a HE...

Yes i have seen the auctions on waterscape.. i was actually bidding on one last week then it was withdrawn!!!! So im livid!! Apparently they set the price too low... will have to wait for it to come back on now. The agenda 21 mooring is far too high for me so thats a no go, its well over £2000 now and the auction hasnt ended yet. My budget is £1,500.

And for all you trolls.. i have moved on and i continue to do so as i am now fiancially secure again, i want a mooring and have the money however its limited. Im purely asking for some tips on how the mooring systems work and some pleasent conversation with other boaters which have been or are in the same situation. How dare you judge me, you dont no me and never will. I will not reply again to anyone who spouts ignorance and lack good manners.

• Greenie 2

Not any more

Allegedly all the boats between Hemel and Berko have received notices to move on.

They are starting the clearing of moorings for the Olympics I believe.

Or is it the start of the pre-Olympics year?

David

Should have kept reading the thread!!!

I dont understand why everyone thinks its ok to claim to be CC'ers when you clearly are not, i understand the op's circumstances have changed and it may be hard to find a mooring where he wants, but after 6 months i can see why he's being asked to move on. I personaly think its good that the overstayers are being asked to move on, not much fun to end a days cruising to find no decent moorings as they are all taken by boats that have set up home on the towpath and clearly never/rarely move, while we end up moored to a scabby piece of bank, with a 2ft gap to jump. If you need to stay in one place for work/school or whatever, you should have a mooring or go live on the land. These are not new rules, you all knew the situation when you bought your boats, and maybe you should have found your moorings first. End of rant.

Ah some original thinking and prejudice.

Not any more

So what you are saying is that last year and this year we unable to moor along that significantly long stretch because of all the illegally moored boats. CC'ers who are paying fook all yet setting up camps all along the network and waiting for 'move along' notices that never come.

There should be only one BW charge and thats 'have you got a boat in the water', there shouldn't and doesn't need to be 2 seperate charges. All cc'ers moor on the same water as me everynight. If you want to then moor in a specific place like a marina you pay their charge on top.

I've met genuine CC'ers who tour the canal network all year long, they still moor everynight somewhere..?? whats the difference.

So what you are saying is that last year and this year we unable to moor along that significantly long stretch because of all the illegally moored boats. CC'ers who are paying fook all yet setting up camps all along the network and waiting for 'move along' notices that never come.

There should be only one BW charge and thats 'have you got a boat in the water', there shouldn't and doesn't need to be 2 seperate charges. All cc'ers moor on the same water as me everynight. If you want to then moor in a specific place like a marina you pay their charge on top.

I've met genuine CC'ers who tour the canal network all year long, they still moor everynight somewhere..?? whats the difference.

When one makes a declaration in order to get a licence one should stick to that declaration (as many do) and not take the pi$$.

At present there is only one overstayer between lock 59 and 58 and they have been there a couple of months, he did turn the boat round last weekend but is still in the same place does that count as CC?

Below lock 59 there are a couple that have been there all year, one of whom was above lock 59 for 7 years only being absent for two weeks in that time.

That in my book warrants action by BW and just maybe at last its happening

Edited by idleness

I've probably missed a subtle point here, but isn't that what happens now? You need to licence your boat anyway but if you have no mooring you need to sign a declaration saying you will abide by the rules set down for a continuous cruiser.

At the moment you pay no more or no less for either licence.

If you want a mooring you pay for it, in my experience i've met as many overstayers from mooring users and I do from the CCers so in my book there is little difference between the two, all the rules are in place to deal with overstayers we just need BW to exercise their powers in a more even handed and reliable manner, I really feel the 'inhouse' dividing of boaters into two separate camps helps nobody, least of all the boaters.

• Greenie 1