What is so great about living aboard?

PaddingtonBear

Featured Posts

I think it's a bit odd how some people seem to think that the inland waterways = canals and that you have to choose between being on a boat on a canal or at sea? What about rivers?

I live on a fantastic stretch of river. Here's the view from my mooring.

P1000435-1.jpg

That's part of what's great about living aboard for me.

Also there are some beautiful canals and describing them all as polluted sewers really just indicates someone who hasn't seen very much.

Edited by blackrose

I think it's a bit odd how some people seem to think that the inland waterways = canals and that you have to choose between being on a boat on a canal or at sea? What about rivers?

I live on a fantastic stretch of river. Here's the view from my mooring.

P1000435-1.jpg

That's part of what's great about living aboard for me.

Also there are some beautiful canals and describing them all as polluted sewers really just indicates someone who hasn't seen very much.

Agreed

Myself and Lynn prefer the rivers too, much more room, great places to moor, more peaceful, less people, less boats and fun to navigate. And that is a great view innit smile.gif

Thank god there is someone who doesn't like being on a sewer tube and has the confidence to say so. There is nothing wrong with not liking or perhaps liking canals only a little bit. The way most people go on you would think that I was advocating eating their grandmothers. Life is not very good and being afloat on the inland waterways is not very good either.

I really don't know what answer you're looking for here PB! I've posted some negatives and some positives on this thread - of course it's not great all the time, in fact it's bloody hard work most of the time, which most posters have agreed with. We've also agreed that the upsides make up for the downsides in a big way.

The people that really haven't got on with living on "sewer tubes" won't be on the forum any more will they? (With the exception of Honey Ryder of course!) I don't lack confidence, thank you very much, but I'm not going to slate a lifestyle that I'm in love with. You only seem to be looking for opinions that back yours up.

But then I think life is grand, so our viewpoints are clearly very different :)

• Greenie 1

Have a greenie Dean! Lived aboard just over two years, two very harsh winters. If I want to look on the negative side it'd be lack of storage, confined space so there's nowhere I can stomp off to with a door to slam in between, lack of privacy in some places - first thing in the morning when I've got my grumpy head on I don't want to smile and say hello to people on the towpath or fellow boaters, I want a private place where I can sit, in my nightie with hair askew and have my morning fag without having to be personable. Would rather like a freezer but don't have the power for one at the moment. Apart from that, sorry, no regrets at all - in fact after visiting the in-laws for a week we couldn't wait to get back to our boat - too much space!!

haha nice one

here's a sniff of the Zeitgeist for you...

Plan A to head for the green fell through yesterday; when it kicked off round the corner from where we're moored and I started seeing concerned messages on FB and receiving worried phone calls from relatives I grabbed two bottles of Crabbies for the journey and upped sticks...

Now you couldn't do that in a house!

Yep. I'm kind of relieved our boat and car aren't at the marina in Tottenham at the moment.

Good point Blackrose and you are very lucky especially as you seem to be able to make your own choices. I am far too old to be happy now.

this has to be the saddest post I've ever heard...how can we help PB? ....and thats a genuine ask, nobody should be unhappy? and certainly never too old!

I may soon have to live aboard, somewhat against my better judgement. I have been a regualr on this forum for some time and have yet to see many negative comments about life aboard. Most comments are just too positive to be believed, all very starry eyed (except sueb :) nothing can be that good can it? What is a more realistic, worts and all appraisal? and no I am not a troll, whatever that is.

I am beginning to doubt this ...

I may soon have to live aboard, somewhat against my better judgement. I have been a regualr on this forum for some time and have yet to see many negative comments about life aboard. Most comments are just too positive to be believed, all very starry eyed (except sueb :) nothing can be that good can it? What is a more realistic, worts and all appraisal? and no I am not a troll, whatever that is.

Thanks for your kind words Chagall and for the good common sense from Chieftif, Ange and Blackrose and very latterly Romani. Just what I was looking for, a sensible comment(s) for a happier Britain ':) What I wanted to express when I said about being too old is that on the occasion of a major upheaval in ones life you often are forced to reflect on the past and how you ended up where you did. In my case going to live on a boat on the 'cut'. In my eyes this is utter failure and not what I wanted at all. I totally regret the majority of my past life which lead me here. All except getting involved with the Great Helmsman. She is simply marvelous all the more so for putting up with me :):cheers:

In my eyes this is utter failure and not what I wanted at all.

I get the impression that external circumstances are pushing you boatwards. I think you will have seen from almost every reply that boaters don't consider boating to be failure - generally it's the opposite. Please don't blame the boat or the canals if they have not caused the problem - look at them as a new start.

I have a firm policy for myself that regret for past decisions is a complete waste of time, and just depressing. If you have reasonable health and can afford a boat (even a cheap one) things are pretty good. I continue to be amazed at how much stuff everyone buys that is totally unnecessary.

All except getting involved with the Great Helmsman. She is simply marvelous all the more so for putting up with me :):cheers:

If you did one single thing differently then you may have never met The Great Helmsman.

I have no failures in my life, merely incidents that, though they may have been unpleasant at the time, have brought me to this point in my life.

Because of this I wouldn't change anything (except, maybe, I should have taken up the beautiful Japanese girl's offer of a no strings one night stand, the evening before she left Paris for America :wub: ).

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

That has torn it Carl. I always try so hard to keep her name out of things. I am just an embarrassment to her and that is just when I am being reasonable like now :). I understand both you and Robin 2, which obviously works wonders for both of you but I can't just get all the what ifs, and there have been many, out of my mind. Very good news though Carl, just had a bid accepted on a Dunkirk Little Ship. Will report back after the survey :) wood of course.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

That has torn it Carl. I always try so hard to keep her name out of things.

Edited accordingly ;)

Very good news though Carl, just had a bid accepted on a Dunkirk Little Ship. Will report back after the survey :) wood of course.

I think dividing my time between a nice backcabin and a beautiful wooden sea boat would just about tip me over the bliss limit.

Me too but I have been living in a tent up to now including last December -12 at Great Haywood :)3. Perhaps you would like to come for a trip once it is sorted Carl? It is all your fault anyway, wood indeed.

A boat is going to seem like a palace after that :lol: you only have one life, no point looking for what could have been but look at what could be

Perhaps so Romani, but I have spent a lifetime of making wrong decisions , is it any wonder that I doubt my ability to get anything right? Up until now I have 'winged' everything but it has of necessity come to a halt now. Anyway thanks to all those whom took the trouble to comment :cheers:

Edited by PaddingtonBear

Me too but I have been living in a tent up to now including last December -12 at Great Haywood.

Has anybody yet suggested you need to add a butty to the "Great Helmsman's" pride amd joy.

At least you could be warm on the cosiest nights, probably with enough room for even you to lay down comfortably.......

(I'm really not helping, am I ?.........)

Perhaps so Romani, but I have spent a lifetime of making wrong decisions , is it any wonder that I doubt my ability to get anything right? Up until now I have 'winged' everything but it has of necessity come to a halt now. Anyway thanks to all those whom took the trouble to comment :cheers:

Self doubt can be a pretty destructive thing and it's easy for someone not in your shoes to suggest you just crack on and do what you think is the best thing, I guess the doubt makes it a little difficult to judge what is best though so I won't suggest that as it would just appear patronising.

Don't think you are the only one to go through life winging it, we all do it, we all make mistakes too it's part of being human. What is important, because none of us are truly fortune tellers, is that you can make the best of a situation when it doesn't work out for the best, plan just in case it doesn't work out, even if that plan merely involves considering all of the options.

I used to believe, and I still think that our wealth obsessed society wants us to believe, that success is about money and possessions, big house, flashy cars etc - fundamentally status. Well I've got all that despite mistakes having been made, I've always planned well and had more than my fair share of good luck, what I now realise is that success isn't about what others think of you it's about how you feel about you, it's about being content with your lot. If keeping the Great Helmsman happy makes you content then despite all your self doubts the move to a boat will be a success, if you feel successful you can throw that self doubt in the canal and get on with your life :cheers:

Edited by chieftiff
  • Greenie 1

Well when in doubt I always ask what would the Lone Ranger do :lol::lol: well it seems you can use what money you have to rent a land property wherever you want to be or buy a boat and live on that.

If you do one or the other well informed you cant go wrong really, but if you feel you are doing it against your better judgement you must have doubts only you know if you can overcome these doubts.

Goodluck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for your kind words Chagall and for the good common sense from Chieftif, Ange and Blackrose and very latterly Romani. Just what I was looking for, a sensible comment(s) for a happier Britain ':) What I wanted to express when I said about being too old is that on the occasion of a major upheaval in ones life you often are forced to reflect on the past and how you ended up where you did. In my case going to live on a boat on the 'cut'. In my eyes this is utter failure and not what I wanted at all. I totally regret the majority of my past life which lead me here. All except getting involved with the Great Helmsman. She is simply marvelous all the more so for putting up with me :):cheers:

You're very welcome PB - I hope it all works out ok for you. As for regrets, as Carl said if you'd have taken different paths the Great Helmsman may never have come your way. :cheers: