What is so great about living aboard?

PaddingtonBear

Featured Posts

Thanks for those last three comments, I feel more positive now. My problem is I suppose that I have always done exactly what I want when I want and what seemed like a good idea at the time, even when fighting for queen and country and now I have no choice but to do as I am told - a bit hard when you are my age :). Still as Alan has said I can always buy a butty.....................................aah no !that would definately be the end.

Very true chiefy, poor prior planning really does lead to piss poor performance. Just look at you and the Moomin and then look at me :rolleyes:

I really don't want to get too involved in this... It's not my thread after all. But for those who don't know us a bit of background info is here

Yes, this is happening at my instigation (just like buying the big Woolwich) although not without prior discussion. I do appreciate that it is hard for PB being asked to give up the apparent security and predictability of our currrent existence. But outside circumstances have led to this position and while I would never have had the nerve to do it otherwise, I want to make the most of the opportunity. It won't just be back cabin living; once the cloths are on and the ballast sorted out it will be insulated and boarded inside (nothing permanent and no welding!) and we will probably even be getting a diesel Rayburn. Facilities will be basic but it should be warm and dry which is the most important thing, and comfortable, no more sleeping in a tent in the hold.

I'm not starry eyed about it, but it's something I would forever regret if we didn't try. I don't know what direction the future will take - no one does - but to me this has to be the next step.

Ah, cross postedwith PB. I'd better go down and make him a cup of tea :)

PPS. I'm often tempted by a butty but I try to go and lay down somewhere quiet until it wears off. The trouble will start when one comes up at a* sensible* price....

Edited by Chertsey

I may soon have to live aboard, somewhat against my better judgement. I have been a regualr on this forum for some time and have yet to see many negative comments about life aboard. Most comments are just too positive to be believed, all very starry eyed (except sueb :) nothing can be that good can it? What is a more realistic, worts and all appraisal? and no I am not a troll, whatever that is.

Think it comes down a balance between money and adaptability, you need a minimum of one or the other, and best avoid a big gap between them.

ETA: If you have a healthy surplus overlap of both you're well set :)

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

I can't really comment on here but would listen to you face to face and maybe share some of my thoughts and experiences. As it happens Iam still in a house because OH just couldn't live on a boat,in fact he isn't really interested in anything outside the engine room.

:cheers: madcat