Least worst place to keep a genny.

Featured Posts

I know that the only really safe to use a petrol generator is on the bank, and the only really safe place to keep one and its fuel supply is in a dedicated locker, same specification as a gas locker, but not the gas locker.

Sadly my boat, like most, doesn't have a second gas locker, and there's no realistic way to create one.

Given that, my feeling is that the next best place to keep the generator and fuel is in the one-and-only gas locker, along with the gas cylinders. Any of the other possible places (tug deck, under cratch cover, engine room) risk fumes from leaked fuel getting into the boat and bilges, which is Not Good, and much worse than the additional hazard of keeping gas and petrol together.

Am I mad, or does this make sense? What do other boaters do with their portable generators?

MP.

I know that the only really safe to use a petrol generator is on the bank, and the only really safe place to keep one and its fuel supply is in a dedicated locker, same specification as a gas locker, but not the gas locker.

Sadly my boat, like most, doesn't have a second gas locker, and there's no realistic way to create one.

Given that, my feeling is that the next best place to keep the generator and fuel is in the one-and-only gas locker, along with the gas cylinders. Any of the other possible places (tug deck, under cratch cover, engine room) risk fumes from leaked fuel getting into the boat and bilges, which is Not Good, and much worse than the additional hazard of keeping gas and petrol together.

Am I mad, or does this make sense? What do other boaters do with their portable generators?

MP.

If your boat is a cruiser stern you could consider moving the gas to steel containers on the stern and using the empty gas locker for the genny. I have seen them strapped over the gas locker lid, out in the open, as well.

John

We keep ours in the engine room, being wide beam there's plenty of space. I've never bothered decanting if using regularly, although it is now as it's not been used for ages. It would fit in our gas locker in the bow, but that would mean moving it to the stern for operation or use a 60 f/t cable neither of much use so have a third gas bottle. Our genny is more for back up though rather than regular use.

EngineroomRightlower.jpg

Is it that there is just no room or is it the cost?

Our gas genny had to have it's own locker to comply with safety regs for one BSS cert. it sits on the foredeck infront of the gas locker -both are top loaded.(so those of you running one from a bottle, should possibly hide it come BSS time)

But having looked out the bill, it cost £418.68 in April 2006, and then it needed a separate safety cert. issued at the time - no idea what that cost.

(photo below- gas locker's open, the genny locker has the floating key on top)

A02.jpg

Edited by headjog

They are more trouble than they are worth. Sell it.

Sue

I find mine extremely useful and no trouble at all, so thanks but I won't be taking your advice.

MP.

If there isn't a dedicated locker then the gas locker is the best place as far as I'm concerned, assuming you have space and suffficient access.

We keep ours in the engine room, being wide beam there's plenty of space. I've never bothered decanting if using regularly, although it is now as it's not been used for ages. It would fit in our gas locker in the bow, but that would mean moving it to the stern for operation or use a 60 f/t cable neither of much use so have a third gas bottle. Our genny is more for back up though rather than regular use.

EngineroomRightlower.jpg

It's not about how much space you have in the engine room! :banghead: Anything containing petrol certainly shouldn't be kept anywhere near your engine! I don't think even decanting it would make that safe unless you run it dry.

Edited by blackrose

In the spirit of the title and assuming it will be run in a safe place. I assume the gas locker is being use for gas bottles so is not an option.

If you have a self draining well deck with side lockers the well deck drain probably consists of a hole in the hull at the back of the locker plus a corresponding hole through the locker side. It is also likely that there will be an up-stand of perhaps 4 to 6 inches below the front doors. I would have thought that provides the "least worse" place to store it as long as it is a quality generator with a proper closing vent for the fuel tank and it us kept well maintained. If the tank did vent fumes it is much more likely that they drop over the side rather than rise up and find their way into the accommodation. The spare fuel would be on the roof or other outside area. Mine tends to sit beside the rudder bearing outside the cockpit down-sheeting.

If you have well deck drains on both sides of the boat you could always block the inner one on the generator locker and that all but makes a gas tank.

Is this just looking for a solution to a non problem?

Casp'

Storage of petrol is a real issue, but as yet nobody who's said you can't put (a proper jerry can of) petrol in a gas locker has explained why not?

I know it may contravenene the BSS, but then so would having a can of paint in there.

My petrol genny has a lever to close the tank breather on the lid. No

fumes when it's shut. Sealed system.

Unless the carb or a fuel pipe leaks...

A plastic jerry can of petrol is a sealed system too but I wouldn't keep one in the same space as my engine.

Edited by blackrose

A plastic jerry can of petrol is a sealed system too but I wouldn't keep one in the same space as my engine.

Can you say why you wouldn't? It's not going to do anything. Of course if there was a fire, but then that would stop you putting it just about anywhere.

Casp'

Can you say why you wouldn't? It's not going to do anything. Of course if there was a fire, but then that would stop you putting it just about anywhere.

Casp'

There's no source of ignition in it's own dedicated locker, unlike the engine room. A fairly minor engine fire could turn into an inferno if a can of petrol is present.

Casp'

Because to me it's common sense not to store fuel which could potentially leak explosive vapours in a hot engine room where there may be sparks from electrical equipment.

By your logic you could also store a full gas bottle in your engine room. "It's not going to do anything."

Edited by blackrose

Two points:

First, there's no such thing as a petrol genny that has run dry - there will always be fumes capable of ignition.

Second, if you knowingly circumvent the requirements of the BSS, which is designed to prevent loss of life and injury, by keeping a petrol genny and/or petrol on board in anything other than an appropriate locker, you are asking for trouble. Quite apart from the fact that you might kill someone you love, yourself or even someone you don't love, you will void your insurance the moment you do it. Believe me, faced with paying out tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds in the event of a catastrophic fire, any insurance company will look very hard at finding a way of placing the blame firmly on your shoulders.

It's also a bit irresponsible of people to give advice as to how to go about getting around the BSS.