Mel Davis. Boat builder

Featured Posts

I have always been hugely impressed with the Mel Davis website and the pictures of the very individual boats he has built.

Met him at the festival yesterday and he seems like a really nice guy.

Has anyone had any recent dealings with him ? Is his repurarion as good as I think it is ?

Yes. He makes good steelwork.

I have always been hugely impressed with the Mel Davis website and the pictures of the very individual boats he has built.

Met him at the festival yesterday and he seems like a really nice guy.

Has anyone had any recent dealings with him ? Is his repurarion as good as I think it is ?

I have a Mel boat and it's lovely. He has always been helpful and reputable as far as I am aware. Although mine was second hand, it wasn't fitted, and he has gone to the trouble to help me out with information I required about the boat.

Top quality boats (fact). Ugly caricatures (opinion).

Proper Marmite boat builder

Hmmm I've not knowingly ever seen a Mel Davis boat although I am aware of his reputation as on of the top flight shell builders. Does anyone have a pic of one of his boats so I can form an opinion too please?

Hmmm I've not knowingly ever seen a Mel Davis boat although I am aware of his reputation as on of the top flight shell builders. Does anyone have a pic of one of his boats so I can form an opinion too please?

Type in www.meldavis.com - you can see all the pictures you want then.

Top quality boats (fact). Ugly caricatures (opinion).

Proper Marmite boat builder

But I see what Carl means. Not my cup of tea either.

Yes,

I agree totally.

No doubt very well built, but if the much vaunted "Venice" is typical of how overblown they are, then decidedly not to my taste either!

Just build a sensible, practical modern boat, hey ? All this overblown detail really doesn't work on something that is actually obviously brand new.

But just to be clear!......

This is strictly "in my opinion" only, and I don't have an issue with anyone who wants to own one, and thinks they are the best canal boats ever made.

As a bespoke builder Mel Davis will be building what they ask for. Therefore not all the designs are to my taste but there are many features that I do like and as Carl says the fact is that the shells are very well made and the detail work done to a very high standard.

Edited by churchward

So, not a discussion on do we or don't we like Mel's shells...rather the OP asked if anyone had had recent dealings with him and could confirm his reputation...............

Your point being?

We've already had six posts all confirming that Mel is a nice guy who builds quality shells. What's the problem with folk also expressing their preferences?

Tony

So, not a discussion on do we or don't we like Mel's shells...rather the OP asked if anyone had had recent dealings with him and could confirm his reputation...............

I thought that was what I first said.

I also feel entitled to an opinion...it makes the thread more interesting.

Mel Davis' reputation for quality is acknowledged by even those who find his shells ugly.

i think that is an unbeatable endorsement, if you find his boats attractive.

But surely - at least in part his reputation is built around the style and type of boat he builds...as in

'he has a reputation of building high quality boats, well built and to a customers spec. - however he also has a reputation for building boats that are often pastiches of old working boats and these are not to everyone's taste...

Sorry!! :help:

Just thought it seemed to be turning into a 'do you like Mel shells?' thread, rather than...yes i've had recent dealings and found............. thread, but hey, I was obviously wrong! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ally

But surely - at least in part his reputation is built around the style and type of boat he builds...as in

'he has a reputation of building high quality boats, well built and to a customers spec. - however he also has a reputation for building boats that are often pastiches of old working boats and these are not to everyone's taste...

As far as I know he will build what you tell him to, unlike many, a friend has a very nice cruiser stern which doesnt look remotely like a working boat even a pastiche

As far as I know he will build what you tell him to, unlike many, a friend has a very nice cruiser stern which doesnt look remotely like a working boat even a pastiche

I would expect that to be true of any builder TBH

- but is that his reputation??? - reading the thread so far it wouldn't appear to be.

Reputation is often as much about what people think you do or are as it is what you actually do or are - does that make sense??

Kinda makes sense MJG, we are known for trads or semi's, all ports etc, yet we do windows, and are doing a cruiser next year! Though what we'd love to be asked for is a mid-engine tug....only done mine and that's still work in progress due to not enough time away from work!

I would expect that to be true of any builder TBH

- but is that his reputation??? - reading the thread so far it wouldn't appear to be.

Reputation is often as much about what people think you do or are as it is what you actually do or are - does that make sense??

That's kinda true but a vague reputation is one thing facts are another. Mel Davis has built several different kind of boats inc crusier sterns and that unusual gas powered live-aboard which was very far from being a pastiche!

As seen in his gallery here.

http://www.meldavis.com/gallery/index.php?i=118i

I agree though that a lot of people have asked for some rather fancy boats. Venice would not be for me bust some of his other boats I quite like.

Our current build is a Mel Davis, a I have to say never have I met a more lovely man. The work that has gone into the shell is incredible, and he is hugely helpful. If you visit http://www.narrowboatcol.com/ the customers have started a blog, and there are quite a few pics of the boat in build. The work is VERY bespoke, and the customers particularly wanted a very 'industrial' feel, hence the lack of scroll work etc, but I am sure he could turn his hand at anything. Its worth going with him just for a trip to his farm house :)

It seems to me some people are missing the point about Mel Davis.

He is able and willing to produce boats of a variety of designs depending on customer requirements.The only thing he does not do is produce a poorly made boat.

My boat Harvest, the gas job, is one extreme of a customers requirements with Venice at the other end. I required a great deal of input from Mel however the design, particularly how she looks I suppose, and any actual or perceived faults are purely the customers, my, responsibility. One can say the same for Venice or any other Mel Davis boat.

As to reliability and honesty I have absolutely not any hesitation in recommending him.