Fire lighters.

bizzard

Featured Posts

Obtain a jam or any glass jar with screw lid.

Half fill with old turps,old diesel,para,ect,''not petrol or the more volatile spirits''.

Chop nice dry sticks,length of jar,pickle for at least two days.

To use;-Ignite a stick,chuck onto grate,add kindling,add coal. Result heat. bizzard :closedeyes:

Half fill with old turps,old diesel,para,ect,''not petrol or the more volatile spirits''.

To use;-Ignite a stick,chuck onto grate,add kindling,add coal. Result heat. bizzard :closedeyes:

I used to do that when showing a local scout group how to light a camp fire. They thoguht I was using dry sticks, and were very impressed at the speed I could light a fire. Works a treat ;)

It's a good way to get rid of white spirit after you've cleaned the brushes.

Or let it stand and it will be like new again, leaving the residue at the bottom of the container :) We do this at work all the time and the same gallon has been around for ages. IIRC cellulose thinner added and the effect is speeded up (might not be celly but certainly one other type of thinner is added.)

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I have a can of stuff called MFS, which stands for Mysterious Flammable Substance. It's anything from engine oil, via diesel and dirty paraffin, up to white spirit (but nothing more volatile than that). I soak a bit of rag in it to light the fire, or at a pinch kitchen roll or even newspaper - anything to spread it. Then sticks and coal in the conventional manner.

I have a can of stuff called MFS, which stands for Mysterious Flammable Substance. It's anything from engine oil, via diesel and dirty paraffin, up to white spirit (but nothing more volatile than that). I soak a bit of rag in it to light the fire, or at a pinch kitchen roll or even newspaper - anything to spread it. Then sticks and coal in the conventional manner.

Thats the favorite way of lighting up a railway steam locomotive. A heap of old paraffiny rags on a shovel light it and into the firebox and then sticks ect. bizzard

Thats the favorite way of lighting up a railway steam locomotive. A heap of old paraffiny rags on a shovel light it and into the firebox and then sticks ect. bizzard

I thought that was how you started old diesels, set fire to an oily/paraffin rag and shove it in the air intake.

I thought that was how you started old diesels, set fire to an oily/paraffin rag and shove it in the air intake.

Yes your dead right in the 1960's on old knackered lorry diesel engines and even lit fires under sumps to get em going 'warm the oil'.Had an old 5 ton Bedford with a Perkins P6 in one day,which i caught the starter wrong and these engines could run in reverse and this one did.terrifying,roared ungoverned with exhaust emitting from the air intake,induction air sucking in at the exhaust pipe,I burned the clutch out stalling it up against a wall. bizzard

And of course all the gears were reversed 'Forward gears reverse and reverse forward.I nearly crashed it in panic.

You're the biz, Biz.!

Keep 'em coming.

Old lap panel fencing which has been previously had years of creosoting are brilliant. Simply break them up into usable pieces and keep dry. A few pieces are all that is required.

Yes thats the idea,with a little effort,all free gratis'. bizzard.

You're the biz, Biz.!

Keep 'em coming.

Will do,thanks.I've hardly started yet,just softening em all up for the big stuff,which is yet to come. bizzard

• 1 month later...

Whilst cleaning angelwood, a gent moored alongside for engine repairs and kindly made me a brew, upon handing said wonderfull mug of t over he plopped t bags on a plate to dry in sunshine, i enquired ooh he sais your a newbie, i dry spent t bags, then soak in diesel n store in a jar , they make fantastic firelighters !!! noted in my newbie book of great ideas :mellow:

Yes your dead right in the 1960's on old knackered lorry diesel engines and even lit fires under sumps to get em going 'warm the oil'.Had an old 5 ton Bedford with a Perkins P6 in one day,which i caught the starter wrong and these engines could run in reverse and this one did.terrifying,roared ungoverned with exhaust emitting from the air intake,induction air sucking in at the exhaust pipe,I burned the clutch out stalling it up against a wall. bizzard

And of course all the gears were reversed 'Forward gears reverse and reverse forward.I nearly crashed it in panic.

dear bizzard

your post mentions a PERKINS P6,surely you meant to say a PERKINS TS3?

dear bizzard

your post mentions a PERKINS P6,surely you meant to say a PERKINS TS3?

Yes a Perkins P6 Straight 6,four stroke OHV.

The TS3 was a Commer, flat 3 cyl Two- stroke Boxer.

Lister of course did a TS 3 too.