Supermarket Propellers

bizzard

Featured Posts

Lots of interesting articles become collectable,given time,but second hand plastic carrier bags,i doubt would ever grace venues on Flog it type programs,or Christies,Bonhams auction houses.

But some boaters seem hell bent on collecting em. 'Carrier bag anoracks'.They pursue their unusual hobby by driving their ships too fast,thereby increasing hugely, the catchment area on all sides,ahead of the prop,sucking them of the canal-river bed like a suction dredger.If carrier bag infestation is known in an area ''towns.cities'',slow right down,you'll be surprised at how few,if any you collect.If your hobby is collecting them,big time,then whack that throttle wide open. bizzard

Lots of interesting articles become collectable,given time,but second hand plastic carrier bags,i doubt would ever grace venues on Flog it type programs,or Christies,Bonhams auction houses.

But some boaters seem hell bent on collecting em. 'Carrier bag anoracks'.They pursue their unusual hobby by driving their ships too fast,thereby increasing hugely, the catchment area on all sides,ahead of the prop,sucking them of the canal-river bed like a suction dredger.If carrier bag infestation is known in an area ''towns.cities'',slow right down,you'll be surprised at how few,if any you collect.If your hobby is collecting them,big time,then whack that throttle wide open. bizzard

Care in the community clearly is not working!

It was a very strange post. Maybe bizzard can explain what it is about?

Simply this. The more power you have on,the greater the suction in the water ahead and below your propeller,therefore the carrier bag catchment area is wider and deeper.Less power,ie go slower,the carrier bag catchment area decreases,less chance of catching them on your prop. bizzard

I like the idea of banning plastic bags altogether, it would sort out a whole host of problems. Including prop jam.

What would we tie to our mooring pins though?

Carrier bags ain't half of it though!!!

Sleepng bags,bikes, tupaulins, coats

Etc etc

If I got a carrier bag around the prop now, at least I would feel normal.

Having my weed hatch fitted on the 12th

Then we give it another go

Ps. I couldn't of gone slower,if I did I be moored up lol

Col

I was warned about the Bridgewater. I was warned about the Rochdale. We travelled along the entire length of both in 2008 and picked up hardly anything. Perhaps it was because we were going so slowly.

N

Use a cheap tennis ball with a hole in it. It is better at protecting the shins of an unwary walker too.

Nick

If your traveling through somewhere thats infested with carrier bags and the waters clear,you'll probably see shoals of them getting disturbed and heading in a sort of vee,like a flight of Geese,all heading for your prop.Go slowly and you can see them give up and drift astern and away.

Not so long ago I traveled in company with an Nb,from Enfield to Springfield,on the river Lee.On leaving a lock, said boat steamed off at speed.I have an air cooled ST Lister,the noise level of which rises disturbingly,so tend to go along at moderate speed. About every two miles, there was the other boat stopped,clearing the prop.I mentioned why to him,but it made no difference,he still steamed off at high speed,We both reached Springfield together,him about 4 gallons of fuel and raw hands worse off,while i retained my hearing. bizzard

Try Norfolk Broads type ''Rond anchors'',instead of pins,they lye flat so don't need warning bags and bottles on em. Though no good trying to bang em into clinkery,hardcore'y towpaths. bizzard

Use a cheap tennis ball with a hole in it. It is better at protecting the shins of an unwary walker too.

Nick

Yes, Our preferred method, although recently we have lost several due (we believe) to passing dogs managing to pull them off the top of the stake, and make off with them.

As I have said elsewhere, I think the theory being propounded here is a bit of hokum.

I see no practical evidence that by slowing down your chances of a fouled prop are reduced.

The theory might sound plausible, but I doubt that an attempt at a controlled test would actually prove it.

Edited by alan_fincher

Yes, Our preferred method, although recently we have lost several due (we believe) to passing dogs managing to pull them off the top of the stake, and make off with them.

As I have said elsewhere, I think the theory being propounded here is a bit of hokum.

I see no practical evidence that by slowing down your chances of a fouled prop are reduced.

The theory might sound plausible, but I doubt that an attempt at a controlled test would actually prove it.

Oh i think it definitely would.Watch for yourself in clear water,the prop acting as a vacuum cleaner. bizzard

Having never had a carrier bag around my prop I'm going to take the Phylis school of argument and declare that not only is it impossible but you're all liars too boot.

I've pondered this statement from all angles,and have come to the conclusion that you must be a continuous moorer. bizzard

You're obviously not familiar with the Phylis school of argument.

Don't wish to get involved in all that drivel.It seems a lot of folk never learn by their mistakes. Regards bizzard.

You don't even need to be in the water to collect plastic bags.

I was standing on a lock-landing in Burton on Trent recently, holding our boat whilst waiting our turn, when a pedestrian on the road bridge above lobbed a bin-liner full of house-hold waste over the parapet.

It landed at my feet, he couldn't even hit the canal.

Whilst I shouted my views on his cleanliness and parentage, a passing boater said "Not to worry we get lots of trouble with drink and drugs in these parts!"

David

I've pondered this statement from all angles,and have come to the conclusion that you must be a continuous moorer. bizzard

how dare you, sir, calling deletedaccount a continuous moorer. He is no such thing. He, sir, is a bonafide bridge hopper.

Absolutely best way to pick up rubbish on your prop is to drive through bridgeholes without slowing especially if it's a deep boat and/or shallow/rubbish strewn canal.

In bad combinations of the above, knocking the engine out of gear through bridgeholes is highly recommended.

Tim