Supermarket Propellers

bizzard

Featured Posts

Absolutely best way to pick up rubbish on your prop is to drive through bridgeholes without slowing especially if it's a deep boat and/or shallow/rubbish strewn canal.

In bad combinations of the above, knocking the engine out of gear through bridgeholes is highly recommended.

Tim

Yes,

I agree with that totally......

That's not the same thing as suggesting that a few more revs between the bridge holes actually makes things a lot worse though..... (.... In my view....).

If we ban plastic bags how will dog owners hang poo off fences and hedges?

In all seriousness, if we banned all plastic bags how would we collect and dispose of our rubbish? I can imagine things getting quite smelly and unhygenic. I reuse my supermarket bags as rubbish bags, which also means I don't consume or have to pay for extra bin bags. I think that's a reasonable secondary use and certainly preferable to throwing them away immediately after their primary function, or even littering them.

I think it's the people who litter that should be banned, not useful items that aren't disposed of properly and end up as litter. Some supermarket bags are now being made of biodegradable starch-based polymers, which goes some way to solving this problem.

I was at a large Sainsburys last christmas, and when I got to the checkout they had a sign up at each checkout proudly proclaiming the 50% reduction they'd made in the use of plastic bags. Then I looked across the 15 or so checkouts at the mass consumption going on. Shopping trolleys full to overflowing. Does anyone remember when buying a TV or a stereo was a major purchase? Now you just pick one up at the supermarket with your onions & potatoes. Ok, many people are more affluent now, but the relative cost of these items has also become much cheaper than it used to be, prompting us to consume much more than we ever used to. So while we and Sainsburys comfort ourselves with the thought that plastic bag use has been reduced, the consumption of everything else is still in overdrive.

I'm sure people never used to buy as much stuff as they do these days. In the industrialised and developing world consumption patterns have risen and led to huge environmental impacts. I'm afraid the campaign to ban plastic bags is a red herring - they are the least of our problems.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

If we ban plastic bags how will dog owners hang poo off fences and hedges?

Not only that, how would my wife suffocate me while doing the nasty.

And deleted account it wasn't a bag but I seem to remember your stern line wrapped around your prop

how dare you, sir, calling deletedaccount a continuous moorer. He is no such thing. He, sir, is a bonafide bridge hopper.

How dare you henk. How many times have I seen you on a vm or next to a bridge?? You, you..... Babboons arse