How do people spend their time on boats

Windfola

Featured Posts

Never really understood the current fashion for standing outside on the back of a boat in all weathers. Surely a sensible leisure boat in the UK will take our weather into account in its design, but if its raining we usually spend time looking for the source of the drips inside the cabins.

Yesterday it was a case of cleaning up the boat and getting rid of two weeks worth of salt, sand and general grime. Even had to wash the engine down to remove salt from it (spray through the engine bay vents). Before having a dry and warm cruise down to the Pyewipe for afternoon drinks.

Usually we would skip out the cleaning and have drinks whilst playing cards or board games. :cheers:

Why Dutch? When was the last time you met a Dutch person that can't speak better English than most engilsh people?

Seems to me to be a big waste of effort.. :cheers:

Why do you drive a narrowboat whe you can get more places more quickly by car? Seems to me a big waste of time.:rolleyes:

There are many great reasons for learning a second language, not just being able to converse when on holiday.

I dunno if there is a particular thing we like to do. It could range from internal boat maintenance odd jobs to TV watching, jigsaws, playing cards, reading or if my father is on board then probably dominoes. However, I have to ply him with a lot of whiskey before I can beat him, It's been a life long struggle!

It isn't that the English are lazy - its just that most of the foreign language speakers, that we meet, also speak English . . .

Many years ago, I learned to speak passable German prior to a trip to East Germany where, I had been told, Russian was the second language rather than English - guess what, almost everyone I met, wanted to converse with me in English after my initial introduction in German. It would have been impolite not to oblige . . .

20 years ago it would have been true that the second language for East Germans would have been Russian, but as an "Ossie" working at a hostel in Berlin 2001 eloquently put it, "When I was at school I had to learn Russian. What bloody use is that to me now?".

I had a lovely holiday in "the former" East Germany a couple of years ago. But outside of the main cities or the beatiful Seeneplatte (lake district) and coast I got the impression that not many would speak English. But I do agree with you about Germans wanting to converse in English, I can find it really difficult to keep the conversation in German.

I spent the last two rainy days checking battery levels, fitting mirror clips to pictures & screwing them to the walls, fixing a full length mirror on the bedroom door, putting new magnetic catches on the sink cupboards,fitting a fly-screen to the front doors, fixing a dish to the outside roof board, and now I've got one of six 'privacy bungs'- (well that's what Lonewolf told me they were called)recovered and another five to do (I brought them home in the end) I wouldn't mind if my daughter remembered to feed me- the bugger doesn't even take me for a chug down the cut to the pub for lunch. I'm inclined to push her in next time I'm there, just to add a bit of fun to the dreary day! ;)

(On the other hand.. I will need some help digging out two flower beds & putting up a summerhouse, when the weather's better, and she will help out there :) )

Edited by headjog

• 2 months later...

Why Dutch? When was the last time you met a Dutch person that can't speak better English than most engilsh people?

maybe he's got a Dutch barge ? ,if it breaks down ,he can ask it what's wrong :P

Edited by JerryP