Foraging, fishing and hunting.

Caprifool

Featured Posts

Guest wanted

I found a blackthorn tree with loads of small green sloe berries awaiting winter whilst out on the boat yesterday. Location classified! :cheers:

our cherry plum trees are groaning with fruit,most of it out of reach! Plan to pick enough for some preserve or other and hope my friends will help out and use some up.We are talking a bucket or 2 of the blasted things and any we can't pick will get over ripe and splat all over the road the path and into the porch.Tree pruning time I think,they are horribly reliable and never fail to appear so had better at least be in reach.Theres loads of them coming up in odd corners of the garden,maybe I should release a few into the towpath hedges,they grow wild by the M5 as well and are probably trying to take over the earth.

There's several wild cherry trees beside the first lock on the Stort, absolutely dripping with fruit. Made jam with them, with unripe apples growing next to them to help it to set (rubbed through a sieve to remove stones). A great success - I could have filled dozens of jars if I'd had them. Looking forward to the brambles ripening for similar activity (already had a few ripe ones from the tips of the branches).

Mac

Edited 'cos I've always had difficulty with 'sieve'

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Not anywhere near the cut at the moment but hubby shot, skinned and gutted a rabbit today which will grace our table tomorrow. That's proper free range food. Doing the same when we're on the boat is a bit problematic as you have to have landowner's permission, how do you find who the landowner is when you're moored up beside a field? Also I'm not sure about the legalities of carrying an air rifle on the boat.

Not anywhere near the cut at the moment but hubby shot, skinned and gutted a rabbit today which will grace our table tomorrow. That's proper free range food. Doing the same when we're on the boat is a bit problematic as you have to have landowner's permission, how do you find who the landowner is when you're moored up beside a field? Also I'm not sure about the legalities of carrying an air rifle on the boat.

Carrying an air rifle onboard is not illegal, but using it on the towpath is!

I could have quite happily eaten the duck that was hammering down the side of my boat at 3am this morning. I would never really do this, but I have seen a boater "fishing" for ducks.

*snip*.....how do you find who the landowner is when you're moored up beside a field?

If it's registered the land register has a point and click thingy online that tells you who the owner is for 4 pounds.

Sir Nibble, tell us what your biggest interest is. Something that you care for that makes you proud and happy. So we can piss on it. No, but seriously. Does our knowledge harm, offend or even effect you in any way what so ever? It's just people sharing. Like if you where to ask me in what isle I found that yummy can of Ravioli leing in my cart at Tescos. I would gladly share that information with you too.

Edited by Caprifool
  • Greenie 2

we had about 10 crayfish a day or so ago.

Apart from that Ocado do a great delivery service which we pick up from the bank lol

Apart from that Ocado do a great delivery service which we pick up from the bank lol

Oo crayfish - Dave's planning to have a go at crayfish catching. Whereabouts are you at the mo?

Love crayfish! Boiled with salt and dill flowers and eaten cold. Are you allowed to catch them all year round or only a few months of the year? And do you use the netted traps? Don't know the word for them, sorry.

You want some brown sauce with that? :rolleyes:

:clapping::lol:

I make a mean elderflower champagne (recipe 'alf 'inched from someone on the forum a year or two ago. And a damn fine elderflower schnaps too. The only other thing in abundance round Tring so far is poppies! But at least the red fields look fabulous.

You want some brown sauce with that? :rolleyes:

:clapping::lol:

I make a mean elderflower champagne (recipe 'alf 'inched from someone on the forum a year or two ago. And a damn fine elderflower schnaps too. The only other thing in abundance round Tring so far is poppies! But at least the red fields look fabulous.