Foraging, fishing and hunting.

Caprifool

Featured Posts

Love crayfish! Boiled with salt and dill flowers and eaten cold. Are you allowed to catch them all year round or only a few months of the year? And do you use the netted traps? Don't know the word for them, sorry.

Anyone trapping crayfish should watch what they are doing. A license is required from the EA, the purpose of which is to ensure that the trapper is not killing the indiginous species of crayfish nor using the wrong traps that trap and drown otters. In some places they will not allow you to trap crayfish at all.

Anyone trapping crayfish should watch what they are doing. A license is required from the EA, the purpose of which is to ensure that the trapper is not killing the indiginous species of crayfish nor using the wrong traps that trap and drown otters. In some places they will not allow you to trap crayfish at all.

Also its to prevent the spread of the crayfish plague that the foreigner carry but the native crayfish are very susceptible to.

Yes, trapping crayfish is regulated here too. The traditional crayfish feasts used to be in August, when the season started. But now there's so many of them you may fish them any time. But I believe the regulations about licences and the use of cages in different waters still is the same, to protect indiginous.

And, as in my original post. "Within the law of course"

Edited by Caprifool

Sir Nibble, tell us what your biggest interest is. Something that you care for that makes you proud and happy. So we can piss on it. No, but seriously. Does our knowledge harm, offend or even effect you in any way what so ever? It's just people sharing. Like if you where to ask me in what isle I found that yummy can of Ravioli leing in my cart at Tescos. I would gladly share that information with you too.

I'm sorry, I meant no offence. I have seen so many people so proud at having taken something edible from the wild and realised they are paying themselves about 0.1p per hour in actual value gained. I can see that some people will take pleasure from the getting as an adjunct to a little ramble. All in all a fair enough little hobby which it would be unworthy to obstruct.

I just get a little fed up with "Canal boater" being synonymous with a low impact enviromentally sustainable lifestyle lived in harmony with nature, and sometimes with paganism thrown in for good measure. Nothing against any of those things of course so long as we keep "holier than thou" out of it, or "unholier than thou" when paganism is thrown in but I am a little over keen to refute the correlation with boating. I apologise if I have pissed all over something, I meant more of a sort of point and giggle.

• Greenie 3

I apologise if I have pissed all over something, I meant more of a sort of point and giggle.

I too apologise for maybe over reacting a little. It's a sore toe of mine who people constantly stomp on.

As a child i was brought up to trap a rabbit skin & cook it,catch & smoke fish,catch & cook duck & moorhen.

what berries ect where safe to eat & how to use some for healing.But sad to say now in the 21st century most of my food comes from Tescos or Marks & Spencers & medication from Boots.I still cringe at the thought of Beef dripping & porridge made with water & lots of salt & so thick that it could be eaten cold in a slice like a piece of cake.

Jeannette

Hehe you just described my ideal porridge. And maybe this is why teaching children a little of both might be important. To give them the choice later on in life.

Edited by Caprifool

Just made the next batch of jam from the cherry plums growing at the entrance to the Wendover Arm. The ripest ones are out of reach, but a boathook helps. The red ones seem to ripen well before the yellow. The ones growing about 50 yards along the arm, and easily reached, should be ripe next week. I use unripe apple pulp to help it set (apples picked from the boat the other day)

Having trouble translating Alexanders (Smyrnium olusatrum) to Swedish. The Swedish pic's I get searching on the latin name are completely different from the English Alexander pictures. Do thay have an alternative latin name?

Edit: Found what they are now :-)

Edited by Caprifool

Getting the required permit to trap Crayfish is free but not easy if you are proper CCera. The permit states where you may trap and you have to submit a report at the end of each permit year saying what, where and how many yoy caught. I have a month ir so to go on my permit before submittibg my brief report

• 2 months later...

I would very much like to hear what mother nature provided you with today? Within the law of course.

Returning from Haggles-Land, had lunch on the train. The 1st class dining is not what it used to be, Bring back GNER.

As for wild food, In student days at UMIST. Being on the boat, Fresh duck was on the menu along with rabbit, and wild game.

Wild veg and herbs could be found on the bank. Far better than the stable diet of my fellow undergrads of 'Beans on Toast'.

It does help if you grew up in the countryside. You known what to look for. I did known of one chap who when he need milk,

just took a bucket and milked the nearest cow.

Firesprite

Back in the Fens

Apples, apples... oh and some more apples.

Its always this time of year i wish i liked apple pie or crumble, but in my mind apple should be eaten as it or with pork in sauce form!

Many orchards around here on public land, if only i had the space there would be cider gallore!

The elderflower wine last year went down a treat!

hope that wasn't Gibbo's rabbit (see earlier post!!) :cheers:

Be careful! I bet hamsters are quite tasty too. With the right seasoning.....

nar, i'm tough as old boots!been pickled on red oxide, bitumen and various other haz chems over the years!! :P

:lol: I missed these posts! Very good :cheers:

We were down in Kent last week and helped my father-in-law collect windfall apples by the sackload. We then took them to the chappie with the cider press and watched the whole process - fascinating stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I found a blackthorn tree with loads of small green sloe berries awaiting winter whilst out on the boat yesterday. Location classified! :cheers:

Not quite after the first frost but it was either gin or the birds! these little fellers are sitting in my freezer awaiting a lidl gin run! :cheers: (doubt tesco stock em!)

sloej.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us